Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Cenis from Turin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. We are a family of 5 travelling to Val Cenis for 1 week on 31 January. We can get a taxi from Turin airport return for €500, or rent a car which isnt much less after we pay insurances, get car seats, snow chains etc. €500 is really expensive but can anyone suggest less expensive alternatives? Thank you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could look up trains from Turin to Modane and find out the cost of a taxi from there (or maybe there are buses from modane to Val Cenis which would be even cheaper).

If this doesn't work I'd choose the car hire rather than the transfer as we used our car a few times during the week in Val Cenis. We stayed in chalets de flambeau and if we needed to go for a meal in Lanslevillard in the evening for eg it was better taking the car as there is no continuous pavement along the road..ok by day but not good at night.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think £500 return is too bad, given the distance, Frejus tunnel, etc. But I agree with @snowymum - hire a car. You can generally take kids car seats on flights at no extra cost. If it's snowy, make sure you've worked out how to put the chains on before you start, as the car probably won't have winter tyres.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@snowymum, There is a lovely lit walk along the edge of the woods from Flambeau, past Criterion and Alpages, and down the valley, cleared every day, to Lanslevillard.
I`ll be back there in 2 weeks.@Rory33, That seems a very expensive way to get to Val Cenis; hope your flights were a bargain. Next time, driving from the UK with Peak Retreats or Erna Low, who include a flexi Eurotunnel crossing, would cost much less, and your kids would see a bit more of France.... unless you live a long way up north ! Train to Modane sounds good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are regular buses from Modane to VC, so you could do train from Turin to Modane. But personally I would probably choose the hire car option, as that gives you a bit more flexibility, and the option to try some of the other Maurienne valley resorts.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@cstreat, I think the walk you are referring to is from Chalets de Flambeau to Lanselbourg rather than Lanslevillard. However I agree that a car is nice to have in Val Cenis but not essential.

+1 for self drive with Peak Retreats in future. We have used them many times including the holiday to Val Cenis and their customer service is excellent. We have also booked the direct Eurostar through them for some of our holidays.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowymum, Hmmm yes just realised I was going the other way. The first year Flambeau was open, I got OH to follow some tracks at the top end of the block, down onto the roadway beneath, rather than walking round past the carparks; it`s actually a wall , and she has never forgiven or forgotten ! There`s not a lot up there in Lansvillard after dark, though, is there ?
Off topic, we have booked an apartment with Peak Retreats in Termingnon, 7th March, inc crossing, for £ 360, which can sleep 4 at a pince.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you very much @snowymum and @cstreat for your comments and advice. We are based in Ireland so the Eurotunnel is not really an option, too much driving with 3 kids! We looked at the train and bus option but its probably ok for 1 person but 5 return tickets are as expensive as the car rental. We booked a VW golf with chains and all insurances for less than €300. WE travel this Saturday and hope to get lots of snow and good skiing. Thank you once again.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rory33, Sounds as though you got a good deal on car hire.

One tip when driving a VW car in snowy conditions:
If you know what model of golf you are hiring I'd suggest contacting a Vw garage or finding a friend with a VW car before you go. We used to have a VW Passat which had a button I think called "ESP" (but can't remember exact letters) which when pressed took the car from wheels spinning and not moving, to driving smoothly through snow. I think it enables the wheels to work independently in snowy conditions. I now have a Touran but haven't checked if it has this button - maybe not all VW cars do.

Looks as though there is plenty of snow coming so am sure you'll have a good week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy