Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the best sort of lift pass holder to get?

Poster: A snowHead
Are these £2-£3 retractable lift pass holders the best sort of thing to get to look after an expensive lift pass. Or are there any better products out there?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Half-Baked, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Depends what type of Lift Pass you are using, in France in Paradiski and the 3 Valleys and in areas in Switzerland handsfree passes are in use so there is no need to get the pass out out of your pocket thus no need at all for any type of holder Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Half-Baked, and in Serre Chevalier, MOntgenever, and Les Deux-Alpes,and Alpe-d'HUez.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Half-Baked, welcome to snowheads.
Depends on what type of lift pass.
More and more places are going to electronic sensors, so you don't need to take the pass out at all.
The most useful "holder" then is a jacket with a small pocket in the upper left arm.
If you have to take pass out to shove in a slot, then the retractable ones are useful.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads Half-Baked.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Half-Baked, Hi, welcome to snowHeads. My answer is exactly as per Jonpim's. I've got one of those retractible holders and think it's terrific, but have had little cause to use it lately. The hands-free pass stays in the zip pocket on the sleeve of my (much derided on these pages) ski suit.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Even if I'm visiting a resort stuck in the 1970s that uses a paper pass, I would still keep it in my pocket atached to the ski pass holder. That way, if it drops off, I don't lose it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B wrote:
Even if I'm visiting a resort stuck in the 1970s that uses a paper pass

Like Chill Factore for example wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FenlandSkier wrote:
Elizabeth B wrote:
Even if I'm visiting a resort stuck in the 1970s that uses a paper pass

Like Chill Factore for example wink

Don't get me started.... wink Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Half-Baked, another good thing about the new style passes with a chip is that if you lose one, you can generally replace it, for a modest admin fee, because the system can be told not to recognise the one you lost. In fact, it can probably be programmed to sound a loud klaxon and alert the authorities to the fact that someone is using a pass they haven't paid for!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If its not an electronic pass ( kept in pocket ) then I usually use a lanyard round the neck, as in these places they usually tend to ask for the pass at mountain entry points - bottom of resort lifts Smile once on the mountain theres no need to show the pass.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, is the entire of ADH using electronic passes now? I was there in March and they still had paper passes checked by the lifties Sad

On a more on-topic note, if it isn't like the Serre Che/etc ones I attach it to a retractable pass holder and clip it to the zip of one of my jacket pockets. If need be it can be tucked into the pocket so that it won't get lost if it manages to fall off. If it's an electronic pass I stick it in a chest pocket. Haven't had any problems with it being there so far.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
there is Watch which can replace your skipass(electronic only)- Swatch Snowpass - its a bit dear at £55 but do the job and is handy, also measures the altitude.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SERJOE, It only works with some of the hands free passes. They don't all use the same system Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney wrote:
SERJOE, It only works with some of the hands free passes. They don't all use the same system Sad

you can check in which resort the watch will be working, also you can buy it online when you r still at home
snow conditions
mark_s, I think Deux-Alpes and (I was told) ADH have installed them for this winter. LDA certainly has as they were in operation during the PSB.
latest report
Half-Baked, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Be careful with the retractable ones, as some of them are less secure than others. We've lost passes because they've become unclipped from the holder or because the holder itself has fallen off the jacket. Some are clearly worse designed/made than others.

Where are you going this season? They may have electronic passes, so don't buy before you go.
snow conditions
The best sort is the sort that holds a season pass! wink
ski holidays
With a season pass I recommend two retractable ones in case one breaks.
ski holidays
SERJOE, Yes, the list of resorts where it can be used is here http://www.swatch.com/en/snowpass/snowpass_wheretouse.html

I think you can only buy online for the Swiss resorts that it can be used in.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
[b]The hands-free pass stays in the zip pocket on the sleeve of my (much derided on these pages) ski suit.

As your Fartbag obviously pre-dates hands-free lift passes, what was the original purpose of the zip pocket on the sleeve? Puzzled
snow conditions
Spyderman, Feck knows! Lipstick, maybe?
ski holidays
Thanks for the info. I don't know where we'll end up yet or when. We will have to see when we can get leave and then see what's available.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
Half-Baked, and in Serre Chevalier, MOntgenever, and Les Deux-Alpes,and Alpe-d'HUez.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but can you confirm that Montgenevre does indeed have a handsfree pass system in use now?

Could I also ask about how the system practically works when you're approaching the turn-style. Do you need to offer the pass up to a reader (like UK contactless payment) or does it just detect you've got a pass? It's been a few years since we've ski'd and there wasn't any then. Thx.
snow conditions
wow - ye olde worlde thread.

almost every single lift in the Alps is now properly hands free. pop the pass in the special pocket on the left sleeve and slide thru. sometimes you need to wave arm or move a bit closer.
latest report
I'd never put a pair of skis on when this thread was started!

In that time I've have never had a non-contactless ski pass across the 5 resorts I've skied. I go for gloves with the little zip lift pass pocket across the back of the hand - a quick wave of the hand, step through, then have a good chuckle at your friend who's got theirs in the wrong pocket as they do their best impression of someone either walking backwards (wrong jacket pocket) or trying to hump a lift gate (trouser pocket) Smile
snow conditions
JuJitsoup wrote:
Could I also ask about how the system practically works when you're approaching the turn-style.

Depends whether your turn-style is snowplough, stem or parallel..... wink

Sorry, I couldn't resist. As others have said (virtually) all resorts have contactless readers with the reader on the left hand side of the turnstile. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Mjit, you need to be careful with those glove pockets - the continual stress as you ski and play can result in a broken card.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm always a bit reluctant to use a glove pocket, having seen an awful lot of gloves underneath lifts and left behind in restaurants etc. I hadn't thought about breaking the card, but I guess that's another reason for the jacket wrist/shoulder pocket option.
snow report
@pam w, They can also be used to find missing children as folk we met discovered this year!
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
JuJitsoup wrote:
Could I also ask about how the system practically works when you're approaching the turn-style.

Depends whether your turn-style is snowplough, stem or parallel..... wink

Nice Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Electronic pass works in your jacket sleeve (Europe), free zip tie for laminated pass that is scanned by a liftie (USA / Canada) so u don't necessarily have to buy one........ Smile
ski holidays
JAcket sleeve pocket, of course be careful where you leave your jacket (unattended)
latest report
I love the elastic string type myself, get a little buzz every time the pass flies out of the machine and clips me on the chin...................
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy