Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does anyone else ski without goggles or glasses?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If it's at all cold and I am skiing other than very slowly my eyes stream without goggles. At home I rarely wear sunglasses but I probably should do more often.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it's at all cold and I am skiing other than very slowly my eyes stream without goggles. At home I rarely wear sunglasses but I probably should do more often.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ravelin wrote:
I skiied for 5 days at La Plagne recently, all of them pretty sunny. I had goggles out with me the first 4 days and sunglasses the last day. I mainly used the goggles on the lifts cos it was often baltic. I did use the sunglasses the last day because it was very bright. In between, more often than not I skied quite happily without wearing any eye protection. From reading this thread it would appear that I should have gone instantly blind, I haven't. I saw many other people skiing without eye protection and none of them went instantly blind either.

Now I agree that it's maybe more sensible to protect your eyes whilst skiing when, especially when the sun is shining, but some of the comment in here is ridiculous overkill!

Edit: Unless as a relative newbie here I'm missing the joke?

No joke Ravelin and this is not a helmet thread. There's a huge difference between the strength of the sun now and at the end of the season in April. Now, the sun is nearly at its weakest of the year, but it's still much stronger than it should be due to thin air at altitude and reflection from snow. I usually don't bother with sun lotion at this time of year, because I usually only ski for a couple of hours a day, which is moderately stupid and I will probably suffer later, but I would never ski without eye protection.

At the end of the season, in April, the sun is about 2/3 way to it's strongest point and again, massively strengthened due to altitude and reflection. It's very dangerous and will burn your skin and/or eyes very quickly and without much warning. I've seen some hideous sun burns on faces and heard of terrible snowblindness injuries. I would never not use skin and eye protection during late season.

The points are
- during the season the sun goes from moderately strong to extremely strong. It's safer not to guess how strong the sun is.
- up to a point you can feel your skin burning and people are used to being careful with the sun on their skin, usually from getting burnt on their holidays. You can't feel your retina burning. You can go from feeling fine to snowblindness in a matter of minutes. Even when you are feeling fine, you have no idea of the damage you are doing and the problems this damage will cause in later life.

In summary, your sight and skin are precious. It's really not a big hardship to protect them and it's very stupid not to, with serious consequences.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And just because you feel fine now do you really want a huge increase in the chance of developing cataracts in later life? The OP is definitely damaging their eyes, not even any doubt about that at all. Whether this is enough to cause a problem is the big question. Just look at the numbers of sheep in Argentina and New Zealand who developed cataracts when the UV levels increased with the ozone depletion in the 80s.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarpa, ah, I wondered why your capture rate had increased so much Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was once having lessons in andorra and turned up with goggles / glasses one day - the instructor told me that if I didnt have them the next day he would refuse to have me on the lesson. Id just forgot them on the day in question but he was very keen on goggles or sunnies.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, Laughing Laughing Laughing

They can't see the velcro traps I set.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy