Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on Niederau?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of booking a late deal here, with my kids in the hotel Sonnshein. My daughter (7) will be learning to ski, myself and son (14) are intermediates. The hotel offers a free bus ride to Soll (which is where I wanted to go, but can't afford it) on Thursday and Friday.

Wondering what you guys & gals thought of the whole set up? Is there enough skiing to last us? Is ski school ok in this area?

All input appreciated, regards, Nick Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Nick

Ski school is good, my son learned to ski here 2 years ago and we're back this year For him to learn snowboarding. The main concern for you will be the limited runs within Niederau itself with 2 red and 1 black run top to bottom plus a few offshoots here and there. Auffach and Aurach are accessible by ski bus but it depends on whether you're happy to leave your daughter in ski school all day and have them look after her at lunchtime. The free bus (goes to Hopfgarten I believe) would probably prove difficult for you to get back in time to pick up your daughter from ski school and days out to Auffach/Aurach will mean finishing early to ensure you're back in time. Whilst the available ski area is good the logistical problems you may encounter may mean you having to ski the same runs a lot to fit in with ski school.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've stayed twice in the Sonnshein and liked it - big comfortable rooms and plentiful food. Dessert buffet very popular with kids. The hotel is an easy 5 - 10 minute walk from the gondola and ski school meeting place at the village level pistes. We rented our boots/skis from a shop underneath the Hotel Austria, right opposite the gondola. Ski school (group lessons) were great for me and my wife and the folk in our group who had kids in ski school as well seemed to think it was good for the kiddies. The skiing in Niederau is pretty limited - from being a complete beginner on the Sunday I'd skied every run by the Friday. But I think the ski-pass now covers Alpbach as well and if you're happy to use the buses then it's only a short trip down to Auffach and there should be enough skiing there to keep you interested.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@faithsdaddy, ski school is generally thought to be very good - there are a lot of Niederau fans around, as once we have been there we hold the place in great affection. My husband and I first went there over 40 years ago but not together before we were married - then took our kids there for years till we had our own place but were back there for a week last winter. The Sonnschein is a good hotel - we could never afford to stay there - but its not right in the centre so a bit of a walk. Carolyn who posts on here from Niederau instructs with the red ski school so will be able to give you lots of advice. She is very helpful.

Worth a few hours to go over to Alpbach from Auffach if you can sort out care for your daughter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to Neiderau twice, in 2007 and 2012.

Ski school has avvery good reputation, althuogh I haven't used it. Carolyn who posts on here is an instructor in one of the schools (there are two).

The immediate local skiing in Neiderau won't keep an intermediate happy for a week, but the lift pass for any more than 2 days is for the Ski Jewel area which includes Auffach (15 minutes on the free ski bus) and Alpbach (via a link from Auffach where you have to go down the last bit by gondola), and that should be enough for most people.

Unless it has changed since 2012, the bus organised jointly by the Sonnscheim and Harfenwirt hotels goes to Hopfgarten, rather than Soll (which is a much shorter trip), though this is still an entry to the Ski Welt. If you are planning on using that, then the Kitzbuheler Alpen Allstar pass covers both the Ski Jewel and the Ski Welt and is about €30 more for the week than the Ski Jewel pass - It also covers Kitzbuhel itself, the Schneewinkel areas, Zell-am-Zee/ Kaprun, and the Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang Ski Circus, but you would need some way of getting to those.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you everyone for your replies. I couldn't have asked for more. I really appreciate it Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
careful this year with the snow. was patchy 4 years ago when we went. this year seems worse in some resorts.

good beginner resort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was there in the year of record snowfall (2000 I think?) and the terrain was quite limited for intermediates but we still had a great time.

We skied Auffach as well as some other nearby slopes and went top to bottom via a few different routes with a gang of mates multiple times.

Stayed at the Hafenwirt which was ok, but it's more suited to beginners in my opinion.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was there in January 2012 after a massive dump of snow. I'm an experienced skier and was worried about the limited terrain, but we had a great time. Did a day in Auffach and a day in Ski Welt which were easy to get to.

Off to Sauze next week but was thinking of taking my 5 yr old daughter to Niederau later in the season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perfect timing, just looking at late(r) options and Nierderau currently coming out top (top=cheapest for me). Doesn't sound quite like the resort for me so will keep looking...seems like the EoSB is becoming more and more likely Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Love that place !! We have skied there for the last 4 years to introduce our daughter who is 5 and half to skiing, as people have said skiing limited, but daughter skied so well in March 2014, stayed each year at the Sonnschein, lovely hotel, Gill owner is lovely, have booked for Easter going to Les Arcs with people that we have met in Niederau !! Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I learnt to ski there. I wasn't good enough for the small area to matter but I wouldn't go there now. How much more was soll? Soll is the one of the cheapest resorts in the alps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy