Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this snowboard's core broken? Is it a complete write-off?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Rented a Burton Custom Flying V for the week. At some point I've hit a rock and taken a small 1p sized chunk out of the bottom, close to the rail (see Pic 1. below), but didn't think too much of it. Took it back to the rental place as one of the bindings was getting stuck, and while I was there I showed them the damage on the bottom. They said to leave it with them for ten minutes and they'd fix it even though it wasn't a big problem.

They then called me ten minutes later and tell me 'the core is broken, the board is unusable, you have to pay for the cost of replacing the board". I didn't take the board insurance option, but I do have winter sports cover up to £250 for equipment. I've gone back and they've showed me the 'shattering' on the top of the board (see Pic 2. below), which either I didn't notice, or they caused themselves by testing the board flex to see if the core was ok (?).

I've never 'broken the core' of a board, so I don't really know exactly what it means... Maybe snowheads can answer some of my questions?

What does it mean when the core is broken?

Could I really have broken the core from just hitting a rock and causing the relatively small amount of damage in Pic 1.?

Is the board completely useless? Is there anyone (eg. beginner) who could get some use out of the board if the hole is fixed?

Is €300 a fair price for replacement of a 2012 Burton Custom Flying V? (that's what they want to charge me)

Thanks for any advice you have...

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like you've compressed the edge or something. I don't think it'll have much impact on riding, though hard to tell, but tbf no new customer will be happy to recieve a rental board looking like that.

I don't know how much boards cost, but the shop will have paid at the very most 60% of RRP, and likely less. Considering they've already had some income from you, I'd offer them 40-50% off the RRP and keep the board for yourself.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes you probably have cracked the core that's why the top sheet has shattered, it is still useable especially if you can epoxy it but can see why they wont rent it out again, agree with clarky the shop probably only paid €300 so I doubt I would want to pay that but it's awkward as the board is kind of useless to them, try strike a deal and use it till it falls apart on you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy