Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The new operator of Cairngorm, Scotland: an 'unnatural rip-off'?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was at Cairngorm over the new year, I wasn't about to spend £34 to stand in a long queue in 45mph wind and below freezing temperatures for two short runs. I was actually told by the car park staff that unless I'd pre-booked I wouldn't be able to get a ticket anyway.

I skinned up to just below the west wall and skied down from there along with quite a few others. I stayed warm and got a run in, the snow wasn't up to much to be honest mostly re-frozen crud. If you don't like the price the answer is simple vote with your feet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
under a new name wrote:
Funiculars recently, e.g.

Tignes 1989

Funival 1987

Frachey (Monterosa) ~2010 (?)

I think Seefeld was 1985
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Perhaps a daft questions as I think I know the answer already but why has no one invested in at least some snowmaking?

It's expensive for many reasons-it will melt as it tends to in Scotland.

Needs lots of water, and infrastructure-reservoirs etc (might not go down well with the environmentalists)

How electricity heavy are cannons?

Humidity Issues?

Also no matter how much £ you throw at it you can't control the wind Shocked

I've visted Caringorm in the summer only, but usually ski at Anoch Mor or Glencoe when visiting the inlaws. Had some of my best ski days up there but won't be rushing to Cairngorm.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
They do have snow cannons at Cairngorrm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think they have 8 cannons ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They have 5 Techno Alpin cannons: 4 T40's and 1 T10 [higher volume] They have been very sub-optimally used this season. For example, there were over 30 hours of continuously low temperatures in the period up to 10.00am on Boxing Day when they weren't used at all. They then switched 2 of them on and they ran throughout Boxing day but the other 3 remained switched off. This was during a busy holiday period when conditions to mid-mountain were pretty thin and would have benefitted significantly from cannon use. However, the new operator has asked for [and been given] the weather data collected by Winterhighland that was used to support the initial case for snowmaking on Cairn Gorm. Indications are that they are keen to develop the snowmaking capacity on the lower Coire Cas pistes in an effort to provide a more reliable run to the Daylodge.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

£34.50 seems fine to me

Me too. Good value compared to a cinema ticket (£15) or a swim at a council pool (£10) or a visit to any other tourist attraction or snowdome!

£34.50 on a busy day might get you four or five descents. At other areas, 20+ is more realistic.

That is the main reason I no longer ski Cairngorm. A six hour round trip for five descents (if the area hasn't stopped selling tickets before we arrive). Very hard for the "captive" market of Aviemore holidaymakers, locals and those to the north to drive past the road end and onwards to another area.

For anyone else, its a no-brainer to steer a wide berth until the area has enough uplift capacity to cater for demand.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Me too. Good value compared to a cinema ticket (£15) or a swim at a council pool (£10) or a visit to any other tourist attraction or snowdome!

No idea where you live but that is one expensive cinema and local swimming pool.

I only go to cairngorm with kids as they are boarders and they find the t-bars much easier than the old tows at Glenshee which have a very powerful launch that they cannot hold onto. Glenshee is a far better laid out ski area in my opinion. I intend to try Glencoe and Nevis range this year as never skiied them.

I cannot believe they are charging full price for two beginner runs as they used to discount tickets if limited piste was available.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Glenshee is £30.

So £34.50 doesn't seem at all unreasonable.

While some might consider it sensible to discount tickets based on operating lifts, given the variability Scotland's ski weather/conditions, that could lead to commercial disaster.

The thing is, Glenshee are quite good about doing discounts when there is limited uplift available - whereas Cairngorm have a tendency to charge full price whatever the situation. That's what upsets me most about the place.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

No idea where you live but that is one expensive cinema and local swimming pool.

London. £15 a cinema ticket is correct but I massively over estimated the cost of a swim, actually only a fiver! Bargain! Except the pool is too small and too crowded to actually do any swimming.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vail was charging $159 for a day pass over New Year. £35 sounds like a bargain!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy