Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I am being sucked in my photochromic lenses! Is there any need?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys, I am going on my annual ski trip on 24th of this month to Val thorens. It has been a while since I have got new goggles and have decided to purchase a new pair for this years trip.

I have previously been using these ones from Anon Optics and i loved it. Just getting a bit tatty and old now.

When I have been looking around I saw mention of these photochromic lenses and the reviews have been INCREDIBLE but the only issue is getting a pair of them in the UK is very difficult and if you do find a pair they are extremely expensive.

Is it worth it?

I am not sure if I should pay the extra £50 or £100 to get these goggles?!

Can anyone make a good recommendation for a pair of goggles for £100-200? Ive never had a serious issue with the pistes being too bright with my goggles, but if i had one complaint I wouldnt mind having something clearer. I dont think the lenses I had, had polarization. So i guess that is a must with my next pair.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well. I used to use the goggles with two lenses - one for sunny conditions and a second lens for when its marginal. Those I loved.

This season I tried the photochromic stuff, and... It works. So no more two lenses for me, now I know a better way.

Is it worth it? That's a different question. If you don't have an issue with the old ways, then these will make no difference. For me, they're a logical progression from 2 lenses. It's not a huge deal, bit now I'm better set up when the light fails.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, wrong thread Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sainter, I have sunnies with photochromatic lenses (Julbo Zebra) and would never go back to ordinary ones.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what goggles are you on about?? ive had a pair of ZEAL for a few years now and yes they are amazing in everything apart from really flat light. Saves all the pfaffing around with two/three lenses. You can get HUD versions etc, but ive just got the SPPX photochromatic ones and would definately recommend them Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I got some Smith Goggle with photo chromatic lenses for the first time this year - worked a treat for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bolle do some - should be several on Ebay - I had some Nova ones for ages and they were great - regret giving them to my daughter now after being convinced that other non-photochromics were better - they weren't!
Bolle call them "Modulator" lenses
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have been using goggles with Smith's Ignitor Mirror lens for the last few years, which works remarkably well in flat light and bright conditions. Not sure that photochromatic lenses could improve significantly but maybe I should give them a whirl sometime
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Arno, I'm not sure the claim is that they're any better, just you don't have to change lenses/goggles when it goes from sun to shade, or the light varies whichever way. My guess is they're probably not as good as specific lenses for the individual conditions, but are far superior in terms of convenience.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rogg, my point is that I have never felt the need to change Ignitor Mirror lenses
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Photochromic lenses has certainly come along recently, you may find that is that in some snowy situations there is a lot more UV light being scattered about which will hit the lens and cause it to react, therefore people find that in some snowy situations the lens can be darker that you may like. There has been improvements recently in the industry to combat this and as a result more goggle manufactures are adding transition/photochromic lenses to their range.

Here are few pairs that are sub £200 that may float your boat

Bolle Gravity

Scott Off Grid

Smith I/O, I/OS, I/O7 I/OX. Photochromic Red Sensor Lens

Zeal Eclipse

Zeal Fargo

Zeal Forcast

Dragon APX

Zeal Z3 GPS £249.99 with GPS and Polarised photochromic lens

Hope that helps
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Arno, Aaaah sorry, I misread your post a bit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey guys thanks so much for the awesome responses. I just have a few more questions for clarification.

1. I did look at the Bolle goggles before posting this. I dont know if ive been living in a bunker or something but I have never really heard of this brand Bolle and I am not sure on the quality and ability of their products. Does anyone here rave about Bolle?

2. I am quite a big fan of Oakley and have been looking into their Prizm technology which as far as I am aware does not change in the way a photochromic lense does, but it does increase contrasts! Would anyone ever choose these Prizm goggles over a photochromic one?! I know you shouldn't just buy something based on who uses it, but if lindsey vonn uses it then its good enough for me! XD
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bolle is a solid and long established brand.

Do you use goggles all the time?

I have sunnies with two lenses and only use the goggles in whiteout conditions. I am tempted to think photochromic is OTT for most but if you've got plenty of cash, why not I guess.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My only concern is that if i wore shades that a large amount of my face is exposed!! so might get bloody cold!? I am not usually bothered by the cold buy flying down a mountain, even small areas of exposed skin will be freezing. What do you think layne?

Edit: also my main concern about bolle is their goggles are like £80-100 for a photochromic lense which is INSANELY CHEAP! It just sounded too good to be true. Actually my main issue with bolle is that they arent very stylish!! compared to a beast like this:

ski holidays
Ski sunnies need to be wrap around both for full protection from the sun and to prevent the wind getting to your eyes. Personally I find under most conditions that works perfectly well. I have Oakley M Frames. I just flip between black and persimmon (orange) lenses according to whether it is sunny or overcast. I only wear goggles when it is snowing quite a lot. The enclosed goggles prevent snow getting into the eyes. I find goggles slightly restrictive on the vision and prefer the small amount of air the sunglasses allow to circulate. I wear Oakley A Frame goggles. If I am wearing sunnies and it is cold I cover up (up to over the nose) using a neck fleece and very occasionally a neoprene face mask. I have a woolly hat the covers the ears.

Bolle from what I can make out have always been at the cheaper end but decent enough. Sort of steady but reliable. I remember a friend having Bolle sunnies 20-odd years ago. They seemed to serve him well enough. But, yes, they are not high end.
snow conditions
I've worn my new Bolle Modulators here in L2A for the last 2 days. Impressed dull performance is at least as good as my old yellow lenses and in bright sunshine they perform near enough as well as my old mirror lenses Bolle which were quite expensive a few years ago.
latest report
Bolle Modulators work well for me - though I mostly wear them in poor conditions 'cos I prefer to wear sunnies when it's sunny. My wife's eyesight isn't as good as mine and she struggled with her Bolle goggles in flat light. At Christmas she bought a pair of Oakley goggles with mirrored Black Iridium Prizm lenses. They seem to give noticeably better contrast in flat light and although the mirror finish is designed for bright light she was fine with them on bright days and very dull days.

We bought them in Serfaus and stood at the shop window looking at snow about 20m away. The detail visible in the snow was noticeably better with the Oakley Prizm lenses compared to her old (and scratched) Bolle goggles and a pair of Smith goggles that she was also trying.
ski holidays
Dear @Sainter, there is a search function at the top of the page. If you type in Bolle modulator you will get 14 pages of results. I can't be bothered to read them (and somebody with nothing better to do will come along to correct me) but I'm pretty sure that not one single person who has posted about them has ever said they are anything other than fantastic, especially for the price.

But feel free to spend twice as much money on something in lime green that will look cool in the blood wagon after you've skied into a tree in flat light if you wish; it's a free world.

PS. I've owned a pair since they first came out. wink
ski holidays
As above, you will know if these will be useful to you or not. If you ride with sunglasses (!) then probably not.

Mine are salomon with a Zeiss lens. Check the specifications for transmission values. If you want to hedge your bets look at smith, you can have two lenses, one photochromic.

You can definitely buy dedicated lens with more extreme transmission values,if that's what you want.
ski holidays
@Raceplate,

+1 Laughing
snow conditions
@Sainter, Myself and MrsS also use Julbo Zebra, they are far and away the best goggles we have ever used.
latest report
I am on POC NXT goggles this year and loving em...
snow report
Do they go dark enough for really bright sunny days, and light enough for really crappy days? Thats the problem I have with my reactive cycling glasses. They're brilliant up and until its really bright.

I'm looking for new goggles because mine are good in decent conditions but crap in flat light and nowhere near dark enough on bluebird days. Debating the interchangeable ones or these. Tempted now by these Bolle modulators. Though having difficulty locating any. Where did people buy theirs?
snow report
Got my modulators from RX sport, great goggles! I have both modulator vermillion (Gravity frame) and modulator citrus gun (Nova Frame), both great in flat light with the citrus gun performing just a bit better in full sun.
latest report
Hey guys I just wanted to write to post an update! I ordered the Bolle modulator goggles today and I am thinking of sending them straight back to amazon!!!!!

In terms of style I give them a 8/10 and I love the photochromic lenses,, but the fit is horrific! The sponge on the nose actually presses my nostrils shut so I cant breathe out my nose smoothly, and if you lift it up even slightly all you can see is the lower frame of the goggle. Even with it in normal position the frame of the goggle is extremely visible. Not a panoramic view at all.

In the most polite way I can say it, I am extremely disappointed! Back to doing research. I am thinking of either Oakleys with prizm technology or Dragon rogues!
snow report
@Sainter, assuming you're a bloke, they fit the modulator lens in 3 different frames - maybe you should try a different frame before condemning them? http://www.bolle-europe.co.uk/products/search#58,145,139,49;
ski holidays
Thats the problem with buying stuff off the internet, every ones face is different, thats why theres 100's of different goggles to choose from. Bite the bullet and go down to your ski shop, try them on your face and with your helmet, might cost you a couple of quid more, but you get the right ones for you without all the faffing around.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought Scott ones last year and during that season, they saw every possible light condition, from a Glenshee whiteout to Val Thorens spring sunshine and performed really well. They change remarkably quickly when moving from sunlight to shade and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Good point from @landlockedpirate about trying them on for fit. As usual, great service from Banks of Perth.
snow report
Hubby and I both have Vermillion modulator lenses, mine in Nebula (small fit), his in Gravity (I think), really good in all conditions.
snow report
@grazzenger, I've got Scott ones as well and can only endorse what you have said. They also have an extender strap you can attach to make them sit easily and comfortably on a helmet - think mine cost me about 10 Euro (maybe less, can't really remember)
snow report
In regards to the Bolle goggles. I had ordered the Gravity frame but I am much more used to the NOVA style frame! Its a lot more square and chunky.

In the end I went with the SCOTT IO7 which comes with 2 interchangable lenses that seem very simple to swap in and out! I dont think it will be much hassle and I like the look of it. I am still very grateful for everyone help.

snow report
I can vouch for the Salomon Photochromic goggles. Unbelievably good!! Great in all conditions. Well worth the money and not having to faff around changing lenses all the time
snow report
@skimottaret, looking at them at the moment. Not had photowotsit gegs before, is the reaction time and accuracy to conditions ok?
snow conditions
Sainter wrote:

I am not sure if I should pay the extra £50 or £100 to get these goggles?!

Decathlon were selling goggles with photochromic lenses more in the 50 quid bracket last season. Here you go-

http://www.decathlon.fr/land-700-l-xl-photochromic-15-id_8344100.html

So, no, you shouldn't pay 50 quid extra.

I just have two pairs of the Lidl 6.99 goggles -one for sun, one for cloud. Simples.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 22-01-16 23:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
that's the Smith IO7 you bought... tis good. It's a mediumish sized frame which fits me well, a larger noggin would need the I/O X think it's called.

hopefully you ordered a pair with one of the lenses being the red sensor photochromic - works very well ( can always order it separately).
snow conditions
Haha i got a pair of these in italy purely by mistake. I liked them, performed excellent in low light, then performed excellent on sunny days. Only got them because the fogy day hurt my eyes. Googled them, £150, yet i got them for Less than £60. End of season accidental bargain. There slokker ones. Brilliant.
snow report
I use Zeal Fargo goggles with combined Photochromic and Polarised ("Polarized Automatic") lenses. They are the bollòx (VLT 12-45%) in bluebird down to pretty crap conditions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy