Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Picnic places in Sestriere?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - firstly I'm new here after just finding this site in the last month or so. I've been skiing for a number of years but I've found so much useful information on here so ... thank you.

Anyway, after starting to pack the cases this afternoon and also after reading the earlier 'flask' post, this has got me thinking about what to do about lunch on this year's February trip.

You see, before we had a family my husband and I would stay in a hotel on HB basis and at lunchtime stop wherever we fancied in one of the cafes/resturants. Money was never an issue.

As soon as both children were old enough to ski (2012 season) we took them. We booked self catering, so we could cook most nights and put them to bed early and then enjoy the local vino! In the resorts we have previously stayed at we have always picked somewhere in the centre at the foot of the nursery slopes/ski school. This has meant at lunch time we have been able to go back to our accommodation and have lunch before heading back out in the afternoon.

This year, as they are both reasonable skiers I haven't booked somewhere near the centre so going back to the accommodation will not be an option. I'd thought now that they can ski we can just stop somewhere suitable for lunch. However if we eat in restaurants/Cafes everyday the cost for a family of four will be expensive.

So if you take a packed lunch do you just find a quiet spot somewhere to eat? I'm assuming you can't use any of the tables/facilities at any cafes/resturants etc. I would expect these to be only if you are buying food and drinks. Are there any picnic facilities?

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, I'm just not used to the packed lunch thing. I'm sure we will eat in the cafés/restaurants most days, it would just be good to keep some of the cost down if we did packed lunch on a couple of days, especially if the weather is milder.

I'd be really interested to hear what other do at lunch time.

Thanks Joanna

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-01-15 19:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Bianchigray, some places do have picnic places - where are you going?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sestriere, not been there before. Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's good practice in any event to take a bit of food and drink in case someone in the group is getting hungry and tired. We usually pack a baguette, some meat and cheese as a contingency. You can be sure that it'll get eaten on your return to the apartment anyway, and sometimes it can be a lifesaver. So we always take something and can then opt for a café lunch if we want. As mentioned, Italy is usually relatively cheap for Pizza and Panini. If the weather is bad, you may find a picnic room is available at the bigger gondola summit stations, which can actually be preferable to queuing and table-hunting in the main restaurant.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 4-01-15 19:32; edited 6 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it's sunny, sitting in the snow (or on a log/rock etc) is great for le picnic.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bianchigray, prices shouldn't be too bad in italy. Maybe if you amend the title of your thread to something like "picnic places in Sestriere" someone who might know will see it
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a pizza bar a few doors down from Hotel Du Col and looking onto the nursery slope and button lift which serves slices of pizza from 2-3 euro.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My memory is that there were plenty of reasonably priced fast food places in Sestriere.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bianchigray, Unless you're in a swanky restaurant I doubt any of the mountain cafes will bother you eating your own sarnies. If you're worried buy a coke/coffee/beer/water etc.. and eat your sandwich.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, some good ideas Very Happy

If you can buy a slice of pizza for 2-3 euros then that wouldn't be too much more than buying food for apartment.

I'll pack some snacks too, that sounds good.

I have edited the title, so hopefully we'll find a picnic area too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For the past couple of years we have opted to take a packed lunch, find a sunny spot somewhere off the piste & eat our baguettes etc, the main reason is time... considering when you stop @ a mountain restaurant, order, pay an arm & a leg for pretty basic quality grub it will take over one hour. We would rather be slipping down the hill, apres can wait!

When the kids were younger & in ski school I remember a few 2 hour lunches with beer, heaven but priorities change with age Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy