Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Socks

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Looking for opinions on ski socks. In need of a couple of new pairs, are the £20+ ones (smartwool, icebreaker, falke) really worth it or do I find something a little less expensive.

Cheers,
Al
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The fit and comfort of your feet is very important. We spend time and good money having boots fitted correctly so don't go for cheap socks. I use smart wool, I don't go for washing while I am away but I find I can get away with three days wear pair pair.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@allybrown360, there is a difference and fit is important, I lent a pair of Teko ones to a mate an he couldn't believe the difference, I have Icebreaker, Teko, Embers Merino one, the Teko are the thinest.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find the thinner, good fitting socks, which do tend to be pricey, much better than the thicker ones.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Internet is your friend. I have some thick Salomon ones (ok when it's cold but not a great fit), thinner fitted Salomon ones (much better) and even thinner Icebreakers (pretty darn good). All bought online, no pair cost more than about £12, with the Icebreakers being a bargain from Sportpursuit well under £10, possibly under £8.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Meant to mention before being distracted by a plate of food... If you're between sizes, size down as they'll stretch otherwise they'll be too big - I always get 'small' which usually goes up to 4.5 even though I'm a 5 and they're fine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent, thanks for the advice. Will research into thinner ski socks availible
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Find the thickness that suits you and your ski boots, then buy the best you can, prferably merino based then your mates will love you!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I even progress to medium thickness docks as my liners hit 20 weeks Laughing Falke are my fav's, and touring socks with liners or pop socks are a godsend.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@allybrown360, Tkmaxx here and in Taunton had some Smartwools in at about £9 or so. Worth a look if you're near one. Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't touch cheap ski socks , I have done that in the past. Now I just buy good socks in the resort, I never remember the name, but get good socks they are worth every penny.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use thin ski socks (Smartwool) but I've been thinking why not use ordinary socks of the type I wear everyday for work?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bit of a gross question maybe..... As merino base layers do not need to be washed that often, are the socks the same? Would one pair be wearable 2 days running or would they likely smell and be full of nasty bacteria after a day's use? I have never worn a pair of socks, of any sort, for two days running, just thought I should point this out before anyone accuses me of being dirty!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For what it's worth, I really like the thinner Falke 'compression' socks. It might be physcological but I find compression socks, and base layers, help me ski all day with less muscle fatigue.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 4-01-15 3:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After reading this post, and following on from my own previous posts regarding my new boots feeling tight, I paid TK Max a quick visit today. Came away with some real bargains, couple pairs of smartwool Light Cushion Racer socks £7.99. A pair of Icebreaker Medium cushion socks, £12.99. And 2 pairs of Helly Hanson Ski Nursery Socks £9.99 for 2 pairs. They're all Merino. My bopots feel so much better around the house in the Smartwool socks. Thanks for the info
latest report
I have some pretty thick Salomon socks, which are ok. But I think I may invest in some thinner ones even if just to compare the difference. Could be an interesting experience.

Like @halfhand, said, I wonder what would happen if you wore everyday socks?
ski holidays
Falke are my favourites. Lots of Smartwool in the TK Maxx stores down here at the moment.
snow report
Decades ago thick socks were my choice before reducing
to hiking grade socks. With the improvements in
boot insulation and for better ski control/feel I used
thin everyday socks. Last year I was gifted dedicated ski
socks which have a thin foot section with a thicker knit
at the calf top creating extra padding for the shin and boot
top area while maintaining foot/ski control.
snow conditions
Thorlos.
ski holidays
Smartwool PhD Lights are going for £12 on amazon with Prime delivery, sock problem solved. Thanks all
snow report
I've noticed recently that my inner ankles start to rub in my boots and get a little bit tender towards the end of the day. Can anyone recommend any socks that have padding there which might help?
snow conditions
@swishtony, I can get at least 3 days out of one pair of merino ski socks, no problem!
snow report
I used some Aldi/lidl ones last year - no problems...
snow report
Please don't flame me tooooo much.

But what is the difference between a pair of thin ski socks and a pair of knee length football socks.

I just normally wear what's in the sales in S&R

Puzzled
snow report
@kiteman69,

I bought junior a pair of ski socks in an emergency from the shop on the mountain once. Cost me a ridiculous price (20-30 Euro) as the only ones that fitted him were some sort of women's cross country racing socks. They were synthetic, just like tight fitting football socks.
snow report
@abd, Cheers! I bought 3 pairs of Icebreaker Merino ones this year for a bargain price from Sportspursuit so will be perfect for my 7 days skiing this year!
snow report
Cheers @musher, I never knew that.
snow report
@halfhand, I wear ordinary socks, the thinnest I have. Ski socks make my feet hurt (more than usual). My husband once bought me a 50 euro pair of gold socks in the resort that I wore for 10 minutes and couldn't wait to get off my feet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kiteman69,

Similar to these:

http://www.salomon.com/scripts/resizeImage.aspx?width=550&height=550&background_color=ffffff&vertical_center=1&horizontal_center=1&filename=/medias/products/product3/355983.jpg

polyester/nylon/elasthane - just like football socks. He liked them.
snow conditions
Has anyone used skins active compression socks for skiing, like their stuff but not used the socks?

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/562694

better than half price too Toofy Grin
latest report
i've been rummaging around TKMaxx sock section all winter and have managed to get me and the kids 2 pairs of smart wool socks

Wore them on Sunday evening and Cas and cant believe the difference.
latest report
I have a medium Teko pair and a thin pair of Smartwool PHDs, both fantastic. Well worth the investment. I wouldnt go back to skiing in ordinary socks.
My wifes Falke SK1s (for rental boots) arrived today. she hasnt tried them on yet but feel nice and soft with good padding for those rental boots (she's stubborning refusing to buy her own boots) - I'll work on her again in the spring sales.
ski holidays
@halfhand, @Daleybou1234,

Everyday socks do not come above the ski boot. Now for a beginner and maybe some intermediates this may not be too big an issue as the boots are not that tight fitting, unless you have very soft shins. As you improve and head more towards racing boots the issue is that the top of the sock causes a compression line. Worst scenario is it cuts off circulation a bit and causes sores along the front of the shin.

Back in early Sept I forgot my ski socks on a trip to CFe I was there for 4 hrs and at the end had serious sores on my front shins ( partly because my shins had not toughened up yet to race boots but also because the boots are very tight fitting. It took a month for the sores to go as they developed into blisters and I was still skiing.
When I was skiing back in the 90's and putting in anything upto and around 30hrs a week my shins were that tough I could wear normal sports socks if I had to without any problem.

So you pays your money and takes your chances you may be fine you may have very very uncomfortable shins and feet after just a short time in normal socks.
latest report
I've recently become a fan of the ultra thin icebreakers. I often just wear the silk liners.
ski holidays
Tkmax Eastbourne last Friday and picked up 4 pair smart wool socks @ £5 pair. They also had Helle Hanson but they were a lot thicker and £10 pair.
ski holidays
@neilkav, why would you use compression socks if you are using the leggings as thermals ? Might be OK for warm weather skiing I suppose?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy