Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Almost scared to mention....driving home tomorrow.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Nick D, Boris, Marcellus, stevomcd, chocksaway etc. all saying the same thing….
pam w wrote:
get up earlier or spend an extra day skiing quiet slopes
... but don't leave at the same time as everyone else.

The only "utterly out of touch with reality" comment in this thread is this one:

Nick D wrote:
Assuming they are able to leave their weeks accommodation early (or late) and get their French speaking butler to reserve an hotel en route
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Nick D, I believe you can book hotels yourself without needing a butler, it's easy I've done it lots! I also believe you can manage to avoid worst of queues if you leave resorts early, or leave home early on way out.

I take your point about cost, but you can get family rooms at Premier Inn at Ashford for around £50 let's say another £50 for pizza from nearby Pizza Hut, I don't think £100 is excessive in overall cost. A stupid o clock start can mean you're near Lyon by lunch and ahead of most people.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look out for deals with the various hotel chains I have booked Travelodge in Ashford prior to travelling down for the EOSB for £29! Lots of reasonable different restaurants around it. Ideal for one night stay.
snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking at the various tweets, it is apparent that the queue is being caused by UK customs taking their time. I know they redesigned the terminal to encourage people to use it, but in my experience even less people use it as they are just heading straight for trains.

Surely it makes sense to put it back how it was? At least that way they can manage the traffic through customs by only calling 2 trains at a time and turning back anyone who tries to sneak through - i.e. like they do in the UK when busy.

I have seen them turning early arrivals away before as well - again I think they have to start managing this better - many of us (myself included) will try and get an early train if I can!

Either way they need to sort it out - I will still use the tunnel as is best option for us - but it's in need of a revamp as the trains are shabby now and the number of breakdowns reported recently it is obviously beginning to show!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got to tunnel at Calais at just after 11, on train just after 12, so not too bad.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I do think it makes sense to ski saturday and therefore leave later if you can arrange it. We've been in Ste Foy for the week, packed up appt saturday morning and were on slopes by 10.30.
Had a great day skiing on v quiet slopes. Bundled into car at 5.30 for easy 2 hour drive to Chambery where we had booked a family room for 4 in the central Kyriad hotel for only 80 euros. Aftrr changing out of ski togs we got out for a nice meal in town and got away this morning at 9.
Not too much traffic but queues at Eurotunnel. We tend to book with Erna Low who include Flexiplus which is a big help, but not sure I'd pay for it if we were booking independently.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arrived at tunnel at 1520 yesterday for a 1720 train, was concerned when we were pushed into the overflow carpark but only waited about 20 mins and were sent to check in were we were given a 1706 crossing which departed on time. Yes GB Passport control appeared to be a hold up but checking our 3 passports only took about a minute which is the same as at airports. I think I may invest in the first class next time i do xmas or halfterm.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was still busy at the tunnel heading back to UK at lunchtime today. We arrived about 11.30 and queued for both check in and passport control BUT they did manage to get us off on time at 120pm Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The tunnel was very busy tonight. Overflow car park before check in being used, cost us about half hour before going thru to queue for check in.

Was eventually on a train only 30 mins after out scheduled 6.20pm booking so not too bad. Was worse yesterday apparently, 3 hours in the pen apparently.

Anglo French relations a bit strained I think, uk customs asked if we had got a text from eurotunnel to explain the reason for the hold ups.....we had.... It blamed uk customs.... Much to their annoyance. Not long after we got a text from eurotunnel apologising for the check in delays!!!!! Which was clear the reason for the delays........ They could not cope with the volume of cars checking in!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
They have redesigned the UK Custom booths so that two cars can be processed at the same time. Trouble is, the cars can only move on when both cars have been processed. We found this out after having a very long conversation with the Customs Officer that processed our passports. We also discussed his shift patterns, my occupation and where I met my husband (we were the second car). So, it wasn't necessarily the fault of UK Customs, but whichever genius designed the booth layout.

We have travelled at peak time before and not experienced the delays on Eurotunnel before. Unlike some who do have the opportunity to not arrive on a Saturday evening, we either have to put up with it or find an alternative mode of transport and next year, we'll go back to using the Caen - Portsmouth ferry.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy