Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Almost scared to mention....driving home tomorrow.

Poster: A snowHead
So, after our mammoth (first) drive to the Alps last Saturday ( skimaggedon?!) 20hrs from Macon - supposed to be 3 and a half hrs drive. What am I to expect tomorrow? Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated. Have to say, we've had an awesome week in La Rosiere so glad for the snow! Sorry if a little incoherent, too many vin chaud!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No snow on the road so should be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Long queues into and out of Bourg unless you leave by 0630 or after 1530. Weather should not be a problem unless the forecast is horribly wrong.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will be very, very busy but should not be compounded by the weather problems of last week.

If you're leaving la Rosiere, I strongly recommend getting out of the valley before 8am or delaying your departure until the evening if possible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowforecast.com is saying 5-10 cms but not until the afternoon.

As @chocksaway says, I think I'd be tempted to get up and out of resort really early, just in case. Travel on busy weekends (of which this will of course be one) can be hellish even in good driving conditions.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Leave now!

Get away by 8am will be busy but moving, earlier the better
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Planning to leave at 6am Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Indeed early is good! The road from BSM out of the valley is dire on busy transfer days even without the snow!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Exodus has already begun rolling eyes rolling eyes

Just travelled back from Moutier to Tignes & it is nose to tail all the way with people leaving the Tarantaise. If you are planning on leaving La Rossiere at 8.00 am expect it to take 2-3 hrs to Albertville rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Which thread do I post in Confused
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand wrote:
Which thread do I post in Confused

Both, obviously. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very wet through northern France but haven't seen much Northbound traffic yet. Mind you we are still N of Reims (heading S)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Started this morning from Schladming, busy between salzburg and Munich so quiet scenic route, back on autobahn, cruise control set to 150 km, time to sit back and relax. refuel for cheap diesel at Luxembourg
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
my best advice if you're leaving tonoght/tomorrow morning is to ski today, go out for dinner and then set off after dinner.... possibly only as far as Lyon if from Tarentaise/3Vs/LDA/ADH or Bourg-en-Bresse if from the Northern Alpes.

You'll be behind todays rush and ahead of tomorrows and will probably have a relatively clear run!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If using the Channel Tunnel. Whatever happens whatever time you get to the Eurotunnel it will be delayed! we were delayed 45 mins yesterday (Friday at 4pm) sign boards said toilet facilities on trains were limited due to technical issues so please use the terminal, which was heaving, the new catering attempts are no better than previous. The reliability is now a complete joke, do ANY of their departures actually run to timetable? All in all the Tunnel experience just gets worse Sad Sad
ski holidays
@Boredsurfing, fly BA Business Class. You know it makes sense.
snow report
achilles, Do they take Tesco Clubcard points wink
ski holidays
Just approaching Dijon/Dole on the A31. Very busy Northbound. Light rain/spray/misty.

Tunnel this morning UK-France was v quiet but I am sure @Boredsurfing, is correct based on previous New Year/halfterms.

Bon courage!
snow report
I spoke too soon, a couple of hours north of Munich and it started snowing, an hour later it's snowing hard and settling. Now near Mannheim and several cms on roads, traffic going slow bit moving. We stop at Luxembourg today, in theory 3 hours to go but I fear much longer. At least there will be a decent dump for Austrian alps.
snow conditions
A39 towards A31 junction at Dole very busy with Peage vans out with warning signs on the back.

Take care all, you've got Sunday to recover.
latest report
Had a very wet & busy drive across France, 9 hours to tunnel so not too bad but its carnage here with everyone except Flexiplus being diverted into a holding pen under the bridge no matter what crossing they've booked. Luckily this time we splashed out the extra £100 but still not checked in so who knows...
snow report
From Eurotunnel website:
Our passenger service is currently operating with up to 4 departures per hour. There is currently no waiting time on the terminal, however due to high volume of traffic, there is a waiting time of approximately 2 hours before check-in.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this will cause to your journey.

This information is also available via our 24 hour (recorded) service information on +44 (0) 8444 63 00 00.

Last update: 03/01/2015 - 17:07 (Time updated GMT+1 hour)
ski holidays
Sadly its getting worse:

For customers travelling today via our French Terminal
Our passenger service is currently operating with up to 4 departures per hour. There is currently no waiting time on the terminal, however due to high volume of traffic, there is a waiting time of approximately 3 hours before check-in.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this will cause to your journey.

This information is also available via our 24 hour (recorded) service information on +44 (0) 8444 63 00 00.

Last update: 03/01/2015 - 17:28 (Time updated GMT+1 hour)
latest report
Driving from La Tania Sunday AM to Geneva - need to be at airport for 1pm - is an 8:30am departure from La Tania leaving enough time??
snow conditions
In normal traffic conditions 3 hours would see you at Geneva airport without breaking the speed limit
snow report
I don't know what it was like this morning, but I drove down from Courchevel 1850 at 4pm today (as far as Albertville, where I then headed for La Giettaz rather than Geneva) and there was no traffic whatsoever and the roads were totally clear.
ski holidays
Friends just arrived after a wet trip south through france to find it piddling down here at 1500m. But snowing before morning fingers crossed. The reported very heavy north going traffic. The tunnel sounds dire. I shall never understand why the lemmings do this. If not possible to spend Saturday skiing then drive to around dijon it makes sense to leave Friday night.
snow conditions
pam w, Yep, sadly the tunnel is now dire even on a Friday as I found yesterday Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dire southbound no doubt. When I drove north on the Friday before half term I was stunned by the volume of southbound traffic. Half term skiing has a touch of masochism about it. If stuck with it I would fly to Italy.
ski holidays
@pam w,
Quote:

If stuck with it I would fly to Italy.

and then make your way to Les Saises or stay in Italy? Puzzled
snow report
Thank god for EasyJet
latest report
@andy1234, stay in Italy! I have been in LS all week but not ventured near a downhill ski slope.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
achilles, Do they take Tesco Clubcard points wink

Do they take Land Rovers?

Been following tweets from Eurotunnel, return journeys have been a nightmare all week. While they haven't actually said so, strongly hinted it is UK customs which has fooked it all up.
ski holidays
Boris, Yep, me too. There must be a solution to the passport checking system. I was wondering if it could be done on the train? Back in the day I worked in Switzerland and caught the overnight sleeper to and fro, as the train passed through each country on the way, our passports were checked en route. I acknowledge things are different these days but the actual check at Calais doesn't seem to be much more than a check using a UV light and a glance at faces against pictures. If there was a problem the offending car could be taken aside when departing the train at Ashford. Sounds too simple...
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
The tunnel sounds dire. I shall never understand why the lemmings do this. If not possible to spend Saturday skiing then drive to around dijon it makes sense to leave Friday night.
@pam w I assume that's a wind-up?, if not I think it's it's thoroughly offensive and utterly out of touch with most people's reality.

Perhaps consider that for many 'lemmings' it's their only ski trip of the year for which they've saved and sacrificed. Assuming they are able to leave their weeks accommodation early (or late) and get their French speaking butler to reserve an hotel en route, perhaps a family of 4 can't afford the extra £200-£500 an additional nights accommodation and food would incur?
latest report
@Nick D, while I agree to a point, it's dead easy to reserve hotels without need of a French speaking butler!!

Have to say never really been delayed at Eurotunnel, even last Xmas, but they do seem to have had major problems last few days. Apart from the odd pay on day person, they must have known this volume was going to arrive? Although accept could have bee. A lot of people arrive late or early to make it worse, add to that one delayed train! Problem does seem to be the uk customs, would be better off putting uk customs back other side of terminal in my view, least people could stop for break before joining the queue!
snow conditions
@Boris, Actually it seems the system of channelling everyone through a holding car park before feeding them into the check-in queue worked quite well yesterday. Friends who arrived by chance at the same time as us were only delayed by 30 minutes from their booked crossing time and only 15 minutes behind us Flexiplus customers who wouldn't be seen dead queing with the lemmings. My butler Pierre always books our crossings by the way wink
latest report
@Nick D, £500 for a night's accommodation? You're having a larf. There's plenty of cheap accommodation available without ever having to speak to a nasty foreigner. If people prefer to do the lemming trip, queue for hours to get down the mountain etc etc then bully for them. Last Saturday thousands did that ang got horribly stuck in snow which had been accurately forecast for days. Idiocy. If it's offensive to suggest they get up earlier or spend an extra day skiing quiet slopes, so be it. Twisted Evil
snow report
@Boris, we've only had one outbound problem which was the year of the Christmas freeze when we ended up on a ferry, and a return trip last April when there was a train stuck in the tunnel, and our 30 minute delay turned into a 5 hour one.
ski holidays
@pam w, lemmings & idiots who shouldn't travel on snowy transfer days, please tell me you're a troll and don't really believe that? Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy