Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Luc - Chandolin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from 4 day in St Luc Chandolin. Thought i'd write a small report given that I didn't find much before we went..

The cons.

Do not go if

You don't like T-Bars or Drags.
If you are more into the Apres than the Ski
Do not drive up if you are a nervous nelly / don't have chains or winter tyres (subject to weather)
Do not go if you want to be surrounded only by English speakers.

The pros.

Do go if you like..

Long empty pistes, mainly coloured red
many many many km's of untracked pow pow pow pow
Skiing.

Slight warnings - some of the drags are the bucking bronco variety, our 8 year old who is excellent on drags got bounced off the long foret drag, necessitating a daddy rescue, so if skiing with kids, be aware. Most of them have "gettoff now" stops before they get steep. The following are must do runs...

Top of Col de Ombrintzes down to Chandolin, do it early. Also Pas de boeuf down to Le Prilet. Its a superb jolly red the whole way down, set velocity to max.

Logisitcs - if you are staying in St Luc, the navettes are super frequent (except over lunch time, so take a long lunch). We stayed in the cheap and cheerful group accomodation in the Roc A'rolle...pretty close to the very decent funiculaire which takes you from town to the skiing. Best deal we found was the combo lift pass and meal for 60 chf, you eat at the restuarant at the top of the funiculaire for effectively 10 chf or 6.50 of your GBP's. Next best deal we managed was the 10 chf cashback if you stop skiing at 13h - we did something like 30kms on New Years day, starting at 9am and finishing bang on 13h, which felt like decent value for 40 chf.

Its a top top resort for intermediate/advanced skiing. I didn't get to do as much off piste as i'd like due to fear over rocks, but what i did was awesome. Fantastic line from a little way down from the top of the red run at the Col de Ombrintz with cover of at least a metre twenty or so of the fluffliest champange pow I've experienced., and the "zone freeride" was lush.

On second thoughts, don't go, its terrible, you won't like it. And its in switzerland, so probably too expensive. Yup, stay away. Did I mention drag lifts and T-bars? And the terrible drive up? And the swiss, well, they don't speak a lot of english do they? And no Carlberg Chalet? Best go to Verbier.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@coddlesangers, good report thanks. you didn't mention the Bella Tola Hotel or the Weisshorn, both classic Alpine hotels well worth a visit if in the St Luc area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
True - actually didn't get up to either! We had a few non skiiers in our group, so we tended to base activities around the funicular restaurant, and didn't really explore hotels much. We had planned to go up to the weishornn but it didn't pan out. We ate in prilet which was great, and also in the restaurant de la poste, where the food was fine but slightly pricey..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy