Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher's accident persuaded people to buy ski helmets. Really?

Poster: A snowHead
I love tomatoes, everyone should eat them.

As for helmets make your own choice i say.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

You are an utterly ridiculous person who only wears a helmet as protection from being bopped over the head with a copy of Le Dauphiné libéré

I wear a helmet because I beaned my head on the piste a few times while learning to snowboard. This is a less painful and irritating experience if you do it while wearing a helmet. I also now wear it on the odd occasion when I ski because a) it's a habit; b) it has music in it; and c) I can't be bothered to shorten my goggle strap. I can't comment on whether or not I'm ridiculous - I'll leave that for other people to judge.

Quote:

The Michael Schumacher accident - tragic as it is to himself, his family, friends and his entire fanbase - is a pivotal one. We know hardly anything about the effectiveness of his helmet in relation to his brain damage, whether wearing one may have accentuated his risk-taking, or whether the outer design (and presence of GoPro?) had anything to do with this.

We're not going to either, so it's a touch pointless to speculate.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1 wrote:

This is the most sensible comment in the thread by far, tomatoes are ridiculously good for you Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Handy Turnip,
I'm not so sure about the taste of most of them though wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jonny Jones,
Get your hair cut then Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

This is the most sensible comment in the thread by far, tomatoes are ridiculously good for you Smile

But what about the pesticides? Are they safe to eat? Or should we do without them - or may be we should go organic? Definitely worth a discussion don't you think.

Any tomato haters around? Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hyst wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

But what about the pesticides? Are they safe to eat? Or should we do without them - or may be we should go organic? Definitely worth a discussion don't you think.

Fair point, maybe I was too hasty in my praise - I didn't consider that all the press regarding the health benefits of the tomato may have all set up by the tomato growing industry. I've been so blind Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hyst wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

I passionately hate tomatoes, and I find it despicable that the sandwich-and-burger-making industries insist on forcing them on me at every opportunity. Eating should be a pleasant leisure activity, and it's such a shame that these things are constantly foisted on us by militant 'nutrionary scientists' who are just out to make a quick buck. Eating used to be so friendly, with quaint little brown bread and grated cheese sandwhiches; now everything comes with these horrible little slices the colour of blood.

Everyone says they're so healthy, but what if a fox walked past the plant your tomato came form and shat on it? Is it possible that traces of excrement may reverberate through your digestive system and gave you leptospirosis and AIDS?

I even saw a celebrity chef using tomatoes live on TV once! They never did that in 1948 (insert photo). Is it possible that today's celebrity chefs are in fact sponsored by the TGA (Tomato Growers Association)? It's a conspiracy I tell you!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yesterday a young 2nd cousin of mine departed on her first ever skiing holiday and as seems to be the case with everyone under the age of 25, there is an ongoing commentary on Facebook. None of her immediate family have ever engaged in snowsports.

One comment thereon, from another relative, in this case the girls aunt, one who knows absolutely nothing of snowsports, reminded her to wear a helmet. The single stated basis of this advice being what happened to Schumacher.

So yes, in this instance (without wishing to get into any debate on any of the factors surrounding the incident itself or the wearing of helmets in general) the Schumacher incident has had an effect on the view of at least one member the general public and to have persuaded them that wearing a helmet is a good idea.

In view of the complete randomness of the situation I rather suspect she is not alone.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do not care for tomatoes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, my wife told me to wear a helmet when I went to Glos ski slope on Friday. She never said that before the Schumacher incident to that's a second person influenced by his accident.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@robboj, @PeteMan, Exactly. I believe that many people who have started wearing a helmet to ski/board since MS's accident will cite this as reason. No evidence just a hunch.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If it emerged, by whatever means (maybe Schumacher miraculously regaining all his faculties) that Schumacher had taken a risk too far ... specifically because he was wearing a helmet ... the helmet sales induced by his accident would be somewhat ironic.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Comedy Goldsmith, have you ever tried a helmet on? I can assure you they in no way make you feel invulnerable...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
@Comedy Goldsmith, have you ever tried a helmet on?

Never a ski helmet. Only a cycle helmet, hundreds of times. I had a light head injury, coming off my bike (skidding at a mini-roundabout) which broke 4 ribs and 2 shoulder bones.

Maybe without a helmet, I'd have taken that corner more cautiously. I've often wondered ...
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Never a ski helmet. Only a cycle helmet, hundreds of times. I had a light head injury, coming off my bike (skidding at a mini-roundabout) which broke 4 ribs and 2 shoulder bones.

Maybe without a helmet, I'd have taken that corner more cautiously. I've often wondered ...

Fair enough.

Do you really think so though?

I worry far more about busting a knee or getting a tree stump in my chest than I do about hitting my head skiing (it's not like I'm willing to risk other - more common, if less consequential - injuries just because my head is protected), so I'm 100% certain wearing a lid doesn't make me ski more recklessly.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Never a ski helmet...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the ultimate armchair expert whose expertise is so self-evident that he has no need to make even a token effort toward rudimentary exploration of his subject... the ultimate tomato expert who has never even tasted a tomato!
ski holidays
Perhaps a tomato helmet is needed Toofy Grin ?

@Comedy Goldsmith, I think you are hoist with your own petard after your last post or is it just the principle of freedom of choice that is making you Auntie Helmut? Laughing
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

So why do you keep going on and on about ski helmets ?

You have made a decision that to wear a cycle helmet is sensible but to wear a ski helmet is not ?

This is a new level of inconsistency from you - are you feeling quite well ?
ski holidays
halfhand, Scrumpy, there's a reasonable logic here, as it happens ...

I don't wear a ski helmet, because I was very lucky to be trained (as a ski instructor) to control my skis sufficiently to rid the need for a lid. Touch wood, I've enjoyed nearly 40 years of injury-free skiing. I'll continue to ski with increasing conservatism/preservatism.

Cycling is much more of a lottery (and the surfaces are scary).

It's worth noting that helmet-wearing is not the norm in prominent cycle-friendly countries. Here, cycle roadways are made safer than they are in the UK.
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Cycling is much more of a lottery (and the surfaces are scary).

Yeah, compacted snow and ice is soooo much safer Shocked
snow conditions
For most people age brings wisdom, patience and liberation from the compulsion to set everyone else straight. For the others age just brings the burden of having more time to waste, playing devils advocate.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

You are not the only wondering........
ski holidays
@Tragedy Goldsmith, That doesn't cut it in all situations. My partner was taken out by an out of control skier who had fallen and skidded into him whilst he was stationary at the side of the piste. Ribs and back were so badly bruised he could hardly move for a couple of weeks - I doubt if he remembers whether he hit his head - but he did not suffer a head injury in his fall/collision impacts.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

...I don't wear a ski helmet, because I was very lucky to be trained (as a ski instructor) to control my skis sufficiently to rid the need for a lid...

You don't get it, do you? The benefits of a helmet relate to comfort and practicality. If you've never tried one on, you can't have any idea how much more comfortable and practicable they are.

I once thought compression Lycra was ridiculous for cyclists. I didn't ride competitively, so why should I care if my clothing flapped in the wind. When I finally tried on some compression gear, I realised what an idiot I'd been: cycling had never as comfortable and fun wearing my old baggy gear.

Skiwear technology has moved on. Plastic boots are better than leather. Composite skis are better than wood. And helmets are better than beanies.

Only die-hards resist the march of progress.
latest report
@Comedy Goldsmith, What about this hat - I admit it is no beauty- but nobody will know! Madeye-Smiley

http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GR/product/helt+pro-Mascot-300845059-brown+stripe/?back=Tl6geg

I will consider it in my bicycle country.
snow report
@Jonny Jones, I'm equally comfortable wearing a beanie hat or a helmet. From a practicality aspect it is more practical for me to wear a beanie (beanie is easy on/off, stows in a pocket, is lighter, is cheaper, more packing space in my bag).
ski holidays
@Jonny Jones, wearing goggle is a last resort for me due to sinus issues, i could wear a helmet with glasses but this has other problems and risks. Comfort and practicality are also relative. My beanie is very comfortable and very practical.

If i could wear goggles without an issue then i would consider a helmet, i haven't found goggles i can wear for and extended period thus far.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones wrote:
The benefits of a helmet relate to comfort and practicality. If you've never tried one on, you can't have any idea how much more comfortable and practicable they are.
And helmets are better than beanies.

Purely out of curiosity, what do you wear when it's very cold and you're not skiing? (In resort or UK).

Beanie or helmet? snowHead
snow report
@ansta1, goggles are more comfortable with a helmet than without IMHO - the way the strap does not go closely around your head but around the helmet.
ski holidays

People keep talking about "beanies".

The bobble hat is the classic friendly and characterful headwear for skiing.

It displays your face, complete with a hint of ears, in a friendly way (as distinct from the helmet, which makes your face look like an arse)

Sure, we can have it without the bobble (which is just the manufacturer cutting the production cost), but we are betraying the skiing tradition by doing so.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-01-15 20:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
Hyst wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

Fair point, maybe I was too hasty in my praise - I didn't consider that all the press regarding the health benefits of the tomato may have all set up by the tomato growing industry. I've been so blind Wink

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I want to know what interests Tragedy Goldsmith has in the Bobble hat business - all sounds very dodgy to me rolling eyes We should know the truth !
snow conditions
Scrumpy wrote:
I want to know what interests Tragedy Goldsmith has in the Bobble hat business - all sounds very dodgy to me rolling eyes We should know the truth !

He is a traditionalist. Don't think he is a business man. May by a nationalist judged form his headwear.
snow report
He's a berk, that's what he is. Very Happy
snow report
To keep the level of argument at rock bottom both Gary Glitter and Jimmy Savile wore bobble hats! Check and mate methinks. snowHead
ski holidays

God Bless America
latest report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

God Bless America

Bad example especially if you decide to ski in the middle east NehNeh

I am pretty certain it may actually increase the risk of you coming a cropper Skullie
snow report
speed098 wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

God Bless America

Bad example especially if you decide to ski in the middle east NehNeh

I am pretty certain it may actually increase the risk of you coming a cropper Skullie

I rather wear a helmet, its safer. But may be there is still hope, Goldsmith has once before admitted he was wrong:

"Thanks very much indeed. It's actually been a hugely enjoyable and interesting few days, renewing communication with old friends and a remarkable community. Although I had my differences with snowHeads for a while, it's obvious that Graham has built something hugely positive and innovative - a quite amazing club - and that I was wrong in several ways in the past. This is clearly the greatest ski club in Great Britain."

So in same years we might see goldsmith wear a helmet.
snow report
martinm wrote:
Jonny Jones wrote:
The benefits of a helmet relate to comfort and practicality. If you've never tried one on, you can't have any idea how much more comfortable and practicable they are.
And helmets are better than beanies.

Purely out of curiosity, what do you wear when it's very cold and you're not skiing? (In resort or UK).

Beanie or helmet? snowHead

It's hardly ever cold enough where I live to need headwear. Maybe twice a year I wear a beanie to the footie and I hate it. Every time I look up at a high kick the wretched thing rises up my head. If I pull it down over my ears, I can't hear my kids when they tell me that the ref's got it wrong again. And it's itchy, itch, itchy.

If it were socially acceptable to wear a ski helmet in a football stadium, I would.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy