Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clueless Newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, great site.

Off to Morzine middle of Jan to try my hand at boarding. I've been there before but only ski'd so this time I'm taking the plundge at Boarding.

Can anyone recommend any sites I should look at for beginner advice or does anyone have any top tips.

Thanks in advance,

Platti.

Oh yeah.... Am i to expect to spend the week face down in the snow or am I likely to be flowing smoothly by the end of the week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Platti, I've only snowboarded once for three hours! However, from that very brief experience all I can say is GET SOME PADDING FOR YOUR AR$E and probably wrist guards as well.

Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Platti, Welcome to slushnuts. Visit http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?Cat=8 (he is a snowHead) and buy a butt pad or impact shorts and a pair of wrist guards. If you haven't got a helmet, it's a good idea for general use anyway.

The only advice that's worth giving to a complete beginner is to RELAX on your board, the moment you tense up you'll lose control. But if you've skied before, you'll soon pick it up. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Platti,
I'm pretty new to this site too. There are quite a few sites that describe basics - have a look at this one:
http://www.abc-of-snowboarding.com/learninghow.asp

Best advice I could give is get lessons - either before you go or when you are there.

One thing I would say is that my mates who could ski before seemed to pick up boarding a lot faster than I. Because they had skied, they had the confidence to pick up speed on a board a lot sooner than I did - so hopefully you'll be fine.

With regards to will you be face down all week... Depends how good you get! I was up to a fairly decent standard for a beginner at the end of a week (riding blues and reds fairly confidently). As I said above - some of the ex-skiers were flying - one guy was better at the end of the 1st day than I was at the end of the week.

Good luck with it!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MBros, you were doing well riding reds confidently at the end of the week, even if some of your mates seemed to be doing better. I don't personally think (as a skier who is making heavy weather of learning to board) that being a skier helps much - I think being a skateboarder is probably more use. But your advice to get lessons is dead right. I initially did a "learn in a day" course at Milton Keynes. Of course I didn't learn in a day but I did manage to get up the draglift and do at least one turn in each direction without falling down. Couldn't walk the next day mind....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll second Masque's advice - worth the investment.
Also the bit about relaxing - although easier said than done.

Caveat - the following is an _attempt_ at explaining _one_ way to think about learning to board. It's a suggestion, no warranty expressed or implied, always read the lable, and seek professional instruction before use.

It's a bit like learning to ride a bike, i.e. difficult to explain 'how to balance' etc. My top tip would be 'believe your instructor' when he says put all the weight on the front foot - it's that foot that does all the work, the back foot is really just for balance. I recall being told to imaging holding a ski pole between your hands, out in front (see what I mean about it being difficult to explain).

i.e. pole is level with horizon, front of board is facing horizon, feet are one behind the other on the board, so that your body is twisted pretty much thro 90 degrees.... now, assuming you can hold this position without moving, the 'turning' process is pretty much rotating your upper body slightly left or right, about the middle of the board - by doing this, you put pressure on one front edge or the other.

Oh, and DONT GIVE UP. It took me 3 days of constant falling to get the hang of the above - and another 3 days to be confident on nice groomed blue runs. That was about 8 years ago, and I haven't looked back (or, touch wood, broken anything!)

good luck,
h
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for the advice. I'm going to be getting the bum pads on order and spend some time reading throught that web site.

I've decided to spend the first day skiiing just because I can then the rest of the week on the board (or my ar$e). What equipment is recommended to buy before I go. I dont really want to buy boots just yet. If the week goes well and I get converted I'll be shopping around for boots (and probably hassling you lot here for buying advice), and no doubt a board for next year. But other than the crash pads anything else worth considering ??

I'll drop a line on here again on my return letting you know how it went. snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers for the advice. I'm going to be getting the bum pads on order and spend some time reading throught that web site.

I've decided to spend the first day skiiing just because I can then the rest of the week on the board (or my ar$e). What equipment is recommended to buy before I go. I dont really want to buy boots just yet. If the week goes well and I get converted I'll be shopping around for boots (and probably hassling you lot here for buying advice), and no doubt a board for next year. But other than the crash pads anything else worth considering ??

I'll drop a line on here again on my return letting you know how it went. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dunno if its worth buying any gear as you may hate it..
having skied before you have a head start as you are used to the steepness of the slopes and how quickly you can pick up speed , plus nursery slopes will seem like exactly that to you, whereas to the full on first timer they look like the east face of the matterhorn Shocked ..
i found a half day lesson then the rest of the day practicing what you had been taught worked well for me..
i had the advantage of one of those moving path things when i learnt for the real day one basic stuff , it tiring enough getting up all the time without having to hike bk up the hill.. getting off your first chair will be amusing, get someone to video it for you..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Platti,

I started boarding several years ago after first starting on skis. I would seriously recommend getting some padding for :

1. Your ar$e
2. Your knees
3. Your elbows.

Make sure you wear the pads BEFORE your FIRST run so you avoid getting bruised!! Also take some lessons before you go so that you can get used to being on a board and you'll enjoy it more when on real snow.

Learn to fall like a piece of rope - not like a tree.

Check this link for some pointers : http://club-ski.web.cern.ch/club-ski/snowboard/tutor.html

James.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Platti,

Most people have probs finishing turns when learning, usually this involves leaning forward to initiate turn and when the board points downhill and picks up speed, they panic and lean back thus losing any control over the board.

To minimise falls and maximise fun... Keep leaning forward and look in the direction you want to go... not the direction you are going.

Happy trails
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been boarding for a few years and have taught a couple of people 'unofficially'. The best advice I can give is:

Don't rush into it - strap your board on a flat section first (your living rooom?) and get used to the way the bindings feel. Jump around a bit while strapped in. You will look ridiculous, but it will feel less alien when you are on the hill.

Learn to edge first (your board perpindicular to the slope) - facing the slope and then with your back to it - it really helps if the slope that you do this on is steeper than your average nursery slope and not hard and icy.

Don't do too much on the first day - if you are tired and sore after lunch then quit while you are ahead. Most injuries happen late on the first day.

Don't give up - at some point on day two or three something will 'click' and you will be a convert forever. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Merry Christmas !!!

I got from my star of a wife a board and bindings for one of my presents. I just want to check that the size is ok. I'm about 6ft 1 1/2 what size board will i need ?

Also any top tips on buying boots, I'm now going full hog in the hope I love it and buying the lot. I know I shouldn't but cant help it so will be buyinh boots next week. Just want to know what to look for in them. Thanks again and all the best for the New Year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I gave my girlfriend a Atomic Tika 148 (well, she liked the colour) as a present, now we only have to get bindings for her and boots and clothes for both of us. We are both absolute beginners, so I probably won't get expensive gear until I see whether I like it.

And mid January we'll go for a weekend somewhere around here.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Platti,

for size info take a look here : http://snowboarding.about.com/cs/gear/a/whatsize.htm
latest report
cdamian, did we convert you to the way of the snow? wink
snow conditions
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
cdamian, did we convert you to the way of the snow? wink

Well, who knows. I'll tell you when I return from the first weekend. But snow weekends are a lot easier and cheaper from here, then from London.
latest report
2 Weeks on Saturday til snow !!!!

What tips can you give with regard to packing up your boarding kit so that the airport bods dont damage your board and stuff ?
ski holidays
Platti, if you are planning an skiing a bit as well as boarding, I would advise alternate days of each. That way it's different muscles that are in agony!!
latest report
Well now I've got all the boarding kit I'll probably stick to boarding the whole week but thanks for the advice. If I'm not getting much speed or progress by the end of the week I'll do a days skiing just for a session without looking like a newbie on snow.

My board bag is shaped so that the bindings can be left on, should I leave them on or take them off and pack them in the case ?
ski holidays
right heres the deal for all you newbies from a well experinced boarder

protection. get some of thoes rist protectors golves or under gloves thease are brillent i were them all the time and a helmet if you want to protect your sweed

kit. well if its your first time RENT cos if you take to it like a duck to water you will want a intermedite board or if you are bad you might trash it and ther are somany types of shape/stiffness you wil end up buying not what you need (espchaly if you buy in the uk most shops have never had an experinced boarder work there) most rental shops(in resort) have modern biginner boars to rent just cheak the bindings are tight and thay will set it up for you then if you like it buy a board and thay usualy refund your rental! oh and barter for free stuff/money off this works all over europe
ps buy your self a good fitting set of boots first you can allways rent just a board and buy next year or get one s/h there are so many in the uk that have only seen a week of snow and i have had my board for 5 years now tit has been repaird a few times now!

size this is tricky it should com up to your nose from the flor but this is just a guide if you are heavy biger if you are slight smaller and the width is set by the size of your feet to narrow and you get toe drag to wide and its hard to turn.

tips. if you have never boarded before get some lessons for god sake try to stand up straight with bent knees and watch out for other ski/boarders. dont sit in the middle of the piste or on blind corners folow thease simple tips and you will have a hosptal free holiday
snow report
just a quick tip platti to stop any damage to your board when travelling. if you can fit your boots in either end of your board bag it`ll stop any damage to the tips of the board
ski holidays
bigsando, what about the bindings - on or off ? Also, do I need a Stomp/Traction pad ??
latest report
Platti, Bindings on if the bag is big and strong enough, and if you're really worried about tip damage, get a piece of grey foam pipe insulation from B&Q and chop a couple of 2' lengths and slide them over the tips. A Stomp pad is essential when you're learning ... the spiky kind are the best and they come in 'clear' so you can still see your board graphics.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy