Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passport Issue, Urgent

Poster: A snowHead
So sat down with a JD and coke, looking forward to our ski trip. I go skiing January 20-25th, passport expires May 2015. Will I be ok or do I need a new passport.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ricklovesthepowder, You'll be fine.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ricklovesthepowder, you'll be fine in Europe as you only need an unexpired passport.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fine in Europe,
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No problem if you're staying in Europe. Went to France in March '14 with a passport that expired July '14.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not urgent, you are fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Phwew! You can have another JD and coke to celebrate Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jude1, may as well finish the bottle. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do they even check passports in Europe? Or just when you try to get back into the UK?

Enjoy the bottle!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jang wrote:
Do they even check passports in Europe?

Any airport in Europe I've flown into has checked my passport.

On the Eurotunnel, they only seemed interested in whether we had the same number of passports as people. When I offered them to passport control, they counted them but weren't interested in checking they were the right ones.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Didn't even look at ours when we last went through passport control at Eurotunnel Folkestone, which was just as well as no 1 son had left his behind. Always check and scan on return trip though. Airports are a different story.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Friends flew within Europe last year, ariving back the day his passport expired - you will be fine.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ricklovesthepowder, new eu regs (introduced on monday) mean you need to have at least 9 years left on your passport if you are going skiing, in case of delay getting to or coming back from resort.

Luckily I have just renewed and would be happy to take your place for, shall we say, £50 and a bottle of JD? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1 wrote:
@Ricklovesthepowder, new eu regs (introduced on monday) mean you need to have at least 9 years left on your passport if you are going skiing, in case of delay getting to or coming back from resort.

Luckily I have just renewed and would be happy to take your place for, shall we say, £50 and a bottle of JD? Very Happy

They have today started doing bag checks to make sure that you have enough snacks and bottles of water with you as well
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ansta1, @sev112, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Also checks you have proper Snowboots and Crampons, whether on not you have one foot or two foot drive.
latest report
sev112 wrote:
They have today started doing bag checks to make sure that you have enough snacks and bottles of water with you as well

You also need to carry enough snacks for your kids, other people's kids and any pets that are part of the group. Tour operators are also required to have a private helicopter on standby for each group.
latest report
gov.uk official site on French Passport Requirements:

"For stays of up to 3 months your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. For stays of longer than 3 months, contact the French Embassy for further information about entry requirements. The French authorities have confirmed they will accept British passports extended by 12 months by British Embassies and Consulates under additional measures put in place in mid-2014."
ski holidays
Speaking as a non-Brit, I think you should be fine. Two years ago, I returned from St. Anton one day before my passport expired. Certainly, you should be fine within the EU. Outside of the EU, check the respective country's official page for tourist information. Some countries may require your passport to be valid three months after the trip, so May doesn't seem to be an issue.
snow report
Am i missing something?Why wouldn't your passport be ok when it doesn't expire for months after your holiday?
snow conditions
@FullyTucked, you would think so but the USA insist you must have a passport valid for 6 months. So always worth checking on before you go. Many European nationals only need an ID card for Europe. There was a a pilot that issued voluntary ID cards in the UK that were valid for travel in Europe (or maybe just the EU), so the passport within the EU is really just an ID document, hence only has to be valid.
snow report
@FullyTucked, It seems the UK ID cards were discontinued quite soon. See here https://www.gov.uk/identity-cards-and-new-identity-and-passport-service-suppliers
snow conditions
geepee wrote:
@FullyTucked, you would think so but the USA insist you must have a passport valid for 6 months.
Not for UK passports (issued in the UK), as I understand it. Providing your UK passport is valid on the day you are due to leave the USA you don't need it to be valid beyond that date.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Yes, you're right. I haven't been for some time and I'm sure it used to be so I stand corrected. I bet there are some countries where it isn't the case, so always worth checking and it's so easy on the gov.uk website, as I've just found out. Blush
snow report
@geepee, It used to be for all passports when visiting the US, but there are a small numb of countries including the UK, where you don't need X months validity after your return date. I know this because I had a panic last summer that I'd left it too late to renew my passport before a trip to Boston - but checking with US embassy website brought me some relief Happy
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Good man. Many would use much more dubious sites for relief. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@geepee, Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy