Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone done the 'Ski Off Piste - High Mountain' course with UCPA?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Happy 2015 everyone!

I was wondering how the 'Ski Off Piste - High Mountain' course at UCPA compares against a normal 'Ski Off Piste' course they offer. I've done 3 of these normal ones before (1 in Tignes and 2 in Chamonix) and always ended up in the expert group. This winter I'd to take it to the next level with the 'High Mountain' course at Argentiere, but I'm a little scared I might not have what it takes. Does anyone have experience of it? Does it involve touring (and touring skis - I haven't used these before)?

Many thanks,

Pete
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Pete,

I have done lots of UCPA off-piste/freeriding courses including the 'High Mountain' (in Argentiere) and the Tignes courses - a few times. The course in Argentiere was of a higher standard than the one in Tignes. We skied some of the long classic descents in the Chamonix valley. We did a little bit of down climbing with ropes - nothing technical. There was a fair bit of hiking and climbing with skis on our backs. We did not use touring skis on that course but the guide may decide that you should do some. There is nothing to be worried about. The guides are usually very helpful indeed and they will help you with all of the gear, so do not worry about that at all. I can only remember doing some skinning in St Foy on a Pente Forte week (based in Les Arcs.) The level of skiing you will be doing will be determined by a variety of factors, such as the standard of the group, what the group wants to do, the guide's character, the guide's likes and dislikes etc. There will generally be more exposure in the High Mountain course than the Tignes course. I think you would expect to be doing some 'big' time consuming descents from the Grandes Montets and Aiguille de Midi. In Tignes you tend to ski the much smaller classic off-piste routes, with limited exposure and very easy access. The guide will test your skill and mental strength (usually) on the first morning with some steepish terrain in variable/poor/awful snow. He/she can then assess the skill levels of the skiers. It is natural to be pensive about it. I hope this helps!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JayDub, many thanks for your insight into this - really helpful!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hope you have a great time, I remember doing the standard off piste in Chamonix (not high mountain) and it was one of the most useful and fun skiing weeks I have ever had- a lot to take away from it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@coolbeanz,

I am glad to have been of help.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Back in the day I learnt to ski with UCPA. Had a great instructor and it was good value. I would definitely consider UCPA for Off Piste High Mountain course now, given how good their group piste lessons were.

@coolbeanz - is your username taken from the film Hot Rod?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy