Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The learning curve

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I feel as though I've hit a bit of wall in progressing my skiing. I only discovered skiing a few years ago and I got to grips with the basics pretty quickly. I've done 6 weeks skiing and I always take lessons but from the last trip till now I feel like I've reached a plateau. I think my main problem at the moment is being comfortable going a bit faster, I pretty much get to a certain speed and then I'm fighting it. Funnily enough the last lesson I had the instructor was trying to introduce me to carving but I don't think I'm ready for that.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or got any advice on getting me our of this rut.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're having lessons which you are and have some ideas of what your goals are which you do, then this is about perception. A plateau is not a rut unless you make it one. It is much more a time of consolidation when the foundations you have laid are being reinforced. It's a positive time and is preparing you for the next big push forward. Try skiing some different terrain perhaps and certainly talk to your instructor about what you are hoping to achieve but don't view things negatively. It is impossible to sustain the rate of progress you make in the early stages of your skiing career. Be patient, keep doing the right things, seek the advice of qualified pros (not mates who tell you they are experts) and the improvements you want will come to you.
Good luck and enjoy every day you ski!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks @Ade57, that makes a lot of sense. I think I'm just going to get more tuition with a good instructor. When you are learning there is more frequent feedback that you are improving I think now I don't really get much of that which is giving me this sensation of being on a plateau. Will see what our trip to Alpe d'huez brings
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had the same issue with speed and eventually got over it by constantly skiing with people that were much quicker and technically better than me. I did have the benefit of doing a season and had more time but even if you can push yourself like this for a week, it might help. As Ade57 said, they will likely take you on terrain that maybe you wouldn't try on your own and push the limits of your comfort zone.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would advise getting comfortable with speed on terrain that isn't too difficult. You can rack up quite a velocity on fairly gentle slopes. Skiing fast on steep terrain requires so much more technically, tactically and psychologically. It's also really important to maintain good form otherwise you end up surviving rather than skiing. So many skiers who believe they are advanced or even expert because they ski on steep terrain are actually just surviving and are in fact relative novices. Just crank it up a little at a time, working on keeping all your basics of stance, edging, pivoting etc. skills sound.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There's a blue run in Tigne with has a fairly significant uphill section half way down, according to the app on my phone I clocked 40mph, of course anyone can go fast in a straight line. Its going fast and being confident about turning, I completely agree about there's a different between getting down and surviving and getting down and being in control. I can go down a red and be smooth and in control but I will travers more than a more proficient skier would do, they are happy to point down the hill more than I am, plus throw in some chopped up snow and it makes it further difficult.

You know when you start out and there comes a point where you relax more and your style and technique improves, that's where I need to be with going quick on steeper ground
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Going fast in control is all about solid technique. If your skills are in place then going faster doesn't present a problem; you're balanced. Don't be in too much of a rush. From what you say you're heading in the right direction. 6 weeks is a really short time. Sadly too many skiers think they can ski after a few weeks and stop taking lessons and trying to learn. At best they self teach or use friends. It takes a long time to be able to self coach and like I said earlier, friends teaching you are a very bad idea, as are spouses etc. unless they are trained and really understand what's going on. Whatever you're doing always try new things on gentler terrain and progress to more difficult terrain as your confidence grows and your skills are consolidated. If you're interested in some good resources that might be helpful, PM me and I'll send you some links, ideas.
Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy