Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switching between blades and skis

Poster: A snowHead
Read the thread on Head Big Easy blades and was wondering if anyone has experience switching between blades and skis (eg, skiing the a.m. and blading the p.m.) My ski technique is decent but not stellar and I don't want to compromise my skiing by blading.

Any opinions would be very welcome!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would normally go the other way round - use blades for a morning (or maybe a whole day near the start of a trip) then switch to skis.
I like how blades help my balance and carving abilities, as they don't forgive mistakes of being in the backseat, skidding turns, or locking your legs together.
Just don't use your poles when you're on them!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear The Fox Hat,

I've never tried blades but saw a few people on them in Couchevel recently.

Could you advise the pros & cons & why you don't use your poles when blading.

Thanks

Jon
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, the main reasons for not using poles are that they get in the way, and put you in the wrong position.
Skiboards perform best when carving long turns, perhaps you could compare them to GS turns. If you watch a GS racer, you will see that they don't really use their poles, apart from pushing out of the start gate. One turn flows into another, but there is no pole plant associated with the turn.
You will also see skiboarders turning at speed and having one hand on the snow, due to the angle they are at. (this is one of the similarities with snowboarding).

When using poles with skiboards, you end up in an upright stance, and are forcing turns by skidding, not carving.
So, to summarise, get down, get on yer edges, and leave the poles for the marmots!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snowbladers have the highest injury rate on the slopes, mainly because the bindings are non-release - so it helps to be a reasonably competent skier. I have seen snowbladers with poles, and I've read advice that suggests blading with poles is good for balance at the outset... but it doesn't look 'cool'.

Not much fun in the early morning after a freeze - much better on softer snow, in spring afternoon conditions...

If you've a tendency to sit back, you'll soon be cured of that habit! Easier than you'd think though, if your skiing technique is a bit lacking you'd find it a lot easier to negotiate a steep mogully black on blades than on standard skis...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just to back up what PG says - I only fell twice on blades.
Once when I was standing outside the restaurant (when
standing doing nothing I have a tendancy to lean back and
rest on my poles. This is not successful when you have no poles
and blades on) and once when I found some slushy off-piste
(when your feet stop you fall forward though).

But some moguls that I had trouble with on skis (I put it down
to the rocks on the piste - honest) were easy as peasy on blades.
You can turn on a dime and it is also easier to put your feet
either side of a rock...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, there was a debate about blading injuries over on the old pre MO SC forum, where some data was provided that tended to put the numbers of blading injuries between those of skiers and boarders.

Head Big Easys (I think they're 94s, but if Jason Carpenter checks in, he'll confirm) have already mounted quick release bindings on their blades and I gather that next season may well see a number of other manufacturers following suit.

My wife swapped over to blades this season and her confidence has soared - she'll tackle much trickier runs now and is experiencing a real boost to her ski=ing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mark, that's interesting, my wife has just returned from her ideal ski holiday, she didn't ski at all. We've got 6 sets of snow blades in the chalet, I'll try to persuade her to give the blades a try.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David, Annie used to get almost stressed out with the thought of getting onto her skis, but she gets almost more excited than me now. I have drawn the line at wearing them to bed though - too much injury risk Wink

She's really gone from being an unconfident skier to a confident blader who keeps up and skis anywhere.

BTW the La Ros webcams looked very "white" at lunchtime today - has it been snowing? Bode well for next week, I'd imagine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mark Hunter, Interesting - I remember reading that quick release bindings on blades wouldn't release in time to prevent injury, and that although the actual rate of injury was no higher, the injuries themselves were more serious, more broken bones involved.

Excellent for boosting confidence in the nervous skier as you say. Good for fitness too, I would think, at La Rosière Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mark, spoke to my daughter today it's been snowing off and on for the last week and it looks as if more is coming. She took the mini-bus and her car to the local garage today to have the snow tyres changed and Le Patron refused telling her that more snow is coming. You can't get better than that, doesn't happen at Kwik Fit. For my own part whenever I've used blades I've always thought I'm not doing anything that I can't do on skis, I guess I'm just not a fan. Looking forward to next week, this time last year we were skiing right down to the village with about 65cms of snow. Roll on Sunday!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, I suppose that the force required to engage/activate the quick release mechanism would mean that the risk of a break/injury is increased. I'll try and find the article that the thread related to.

I find it hard to believe that Head would have brought out a product that was likely to increase the risk of injury. At least they're quicker to get on and off though! I do remember Anne "skating" a fair bit, and pleading for my pole Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My son had 3 spiral fractures (in one leg!) on blades. I swore I'd never use them after that. I must admit though, having read all of the comments this season. If they had proper release bindings on I would be very tempted to have a go and use them to improve my technique.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lorraine Agass, what height/weight was your son at the time, and what length skiboards was he on?
There are specific ones for juniors, Salomon call theirs "Groms" which are shorter, and not as risky.
I'll try to find the documentation on the limits.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This must have been about 7 years ago - they were Salomon but it was when they were fairly new and before the ski manufacturers got their acts together (i.e. made different lengths and improved the way they advised on size/height etc). He was actually lent them by a rep, who like us had no idea just how much potential danger there was.

As I said I have been adamant about never using them but there do seem to be some strong arguements for. Perhaps its just that with time, the sound of him screaming as they pulled his ski boot off with no anasthetic has faded a bit!!
ski holidays
Lorraine Agass, Can't quite go back 7 years, but I'm pretty sure the 'mini groms' junior sizes were around 5 years ago.... really bad luck for you and your son trying them before they came out.

Mark Hunter, I wasn't linking the quick release to an increase in broken bones, they were two separate points.... the shortness and inflexibility of the snowblade meant that the force would transfer itself to the bone/joint before the release mechanism had time to engage, so the thinking was that it was a waste of time having them in the first place.

On the seriousness of the injuries, this on the other hand was a result of the snowblades having non-release bindings.

Perhaps Head have come out with an innovative design that gets around the first problem?
snow conditions
Lorraine Agass, I knew I'd find something somewhere...
http://www.ski-injury.com/faq.htm#skib4
snow conditions
Well he was older and taller than that stipulates - not nice at the time but now we can put it down to experience. It didn't stop any of us from carrying on skiing!

Does that mean that these new designs with 'quick release' bindings are actually no better/safer do you think?
ski holidays
I really have no idea, but for them to be sensitive enough to react in time you'd think they would be releasing too readily and coming off all over the shop. But perhaps an advance in technology has got around this problem. It's worth looking into, I've always had reservations about them because of this. Perhaps someone here will be able to come up with an explanation of how the new bindings work...
latest report
Lorraine Agass, actually there's some discussion about this on the 'skiboard' forum
snow conditions
WTFH & All,

Thanks for the info. Just a couple of further questions:

How are blades for stability at higher speeds or are they just 'tootling' around skis?

I'm interested as Deb's skiing is progressing well (parallel most of the time) but I think it's her confidence that's holding her back. Would blades speed up her learning process without causing faults which would hamper her development later?

Thanks

Jon
snow conditions
spyderjon, at recreational "high" speeds, they are fine, *as long as you are on the edges*.
Try to ski them flat on their bases and you'll get a lot of chatter, which is not good.

I wouldn't consider them a replacement for skis, but an additional tool.

I will probably bring mine up to Castleford, so can lend them to people if they want to try a run or two on them.
ski holidays
spyderjon, one reservation, a young skier I know who suffered from a lack of confidence on skis hasn't looked back since first trying snowblades - but then, he's refused to use his skis ever since! Snowblades are hardly ideal for blasting straight down the piste in tuck position, but you can carve at speed, great fun too. Can be a bit energy-sapping on the flat runs, not quite as bad as snowboarding, but you come to a halt pretty quickly.
ski holidays
Great. Thanks to all for your comments.
snow conditions
WTFH & PG

Thanks for the info & thanks for the offer WTFH.

Jon
snow conditions
Bought a pair of snowblade as a surprise present for a 10 years old nephew on the last day while we were shopping at Salanche near Chamonix in March this year. The lad only learned skiing in 1999 Christmas and now charges down a black slope in a straight line.

Last week at his dad's invitation I went to ski with them in Are Sweden to see the snowblades put to use. He has no problem at all. Just like fish in water. His dad had a go and didn't like it. Strangely the lad changed back to ski after a few days playing with it. From observation he was a lot more stable with the skis which also allow him to travel faster.
snow conditions
I have used blades for three seasons, two seasons on atomics with releasable bindings. These bindings do release and have done so for me, usually in deeper snow when I dig them in or try to turn too tightly - but these are 120 cm blades and I do weigh 14 stone.

Blades help you to centre your balance and when returning to skis I beleive that I have improved my ski technique due to using blades. No problem switching back and forth between blades and skis on the same day; much like switching between different types of skis.

Lets not overstate the dangers of blades - I also have had three spiral fractures on one leg - this was using skis with releasable bindings - it happens.
ski holidays
Quote:
Lets not overstate the dangers of blades

john wells, I agree, my kids have used them for years now for 'fun' inbetween all the ski training, and touch wood, no problems. The non-release bindings version too. Still the stats make it clear that there is greater risk of serious injury, so if the releasable bindings have been improved/perfected, I'll be upgrading very soon.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Skiboards perform best when carving long turns

Fascinating!! I've always found them at their best when carving short arcs (ie real"S"s, just like you want to do on skis but have trouble keeping that long edge engaged all the time). IMO they are NOT a tool for beginners trying to ski "parallel", they are a plaything for experts who know how to balance against an edge - i.e. how to hip angulate. Beginners or anyone else starightlining on flat blades or wobbling on flat blade "turns" are completely wasting their potential Cool
snow report
Alan Craggs, what I mean is long radius turns - cause there's nothing to flex. Say you have a ski with an 18m radius. you can flex that ski and get it down to a 14m radius (I'm guessing), and then you can also add a skidding effect to the turn to reduce the effective radius to, say 10m. With a skiboard marked as 18m radius, the best way to get it to turn is at 18m.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

I will probably bring mine up to Castleford, so can lend them to people if they want to try a run or two on them.

I just might take you up on that. I've never wanted to try them in resort because i don't like wasting ski time. (or falling over...)
snow report
Well, my other reason is that I'll be working away from home all week, and would sooner leave my skiboards in the car than my skis, even though I really want to take my Seths up to show off their bases...
latest report
You can always bring some photos...
BTW it seems pretty safe around there. Its only Leeds, not Moss Side.
latest report
No, but through the week my car is parked in another town, in a car park that isn't the most secure.
snow report
Ahhh, I see.
I just parked mine for ten days in an outdoor carpark about 5 minutes from Waterloo with no security.
Talk about bricking it. I was sure it was at the very least going to have a tramp sleeping in it...
ski holidays
Sorry markP, but in New Labour's sanitised version of things, the streets of London are paved in gold, not tramps etc Wink so your concerns were obviously groundless....
ski holidays
Nobody washed it for me either. New Labours not working...
snow report
Mark Hunter wrote:
PG, there was a debate about blading injuries over on the old pre MO SC forum, where some data was provided that tended to put the numbers of blading injuries between those of skiers and boarders.

PG, searched for the data, and here's the link to the stats, and a whole load of other stuff. Hope it helps.
snow report
Mark Hunter, Thanks for the link, a very detailed and informative site...
ski holidays
markP, you see what happens when you raise everyone's expectations?

PG, no probs - you're welcome.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy