Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

insurance forchild on school ski trip.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

My son is off with the school at Easter; their policy covers 300GBP for personal ski kit. no where near enough as he will be taking his own kit.

Does anyone have any tips for cover when he is not travelling with us? The insurers will not extend the cover on the school policy even for a fee!

Cheers

Simon
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just get his own policy surely? Or does the school cover do accident etc already so you just need cover for the kit?

You may find your contents insurance covers it - if not, how likely is it that ALL of his kit is lost/stolen/damaged?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think he should go with the flow and hire like everyone else. Then he won't have to faff around with all that kit in transport storage etc
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BergenBergen, he'll also get cr@p gear.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It might be worth checking the school is happy for him to take his own stuff as luggage space can be limited, particularly if they're going by coach.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How old is the gear? All the policies I've had reduce the cover year on year. Now none of my skis are covered and my boots are at 40% so hardly more thathan the excess.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Lizzard, its a school trip.... Very Happy ... sure skiing wont top of the list
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When you say kit, I'm assuming you mean skis, boots etc. not just clothing? Apart from taking out a separate policy I can't think of a solution but you should probably speak to the school first. You may also want to look at what provision there is for him skiing. He will have to go into ski school I would think as teachers generally can't and won't take responsibility for skiing with him. If he has his own kit I would assume he is a competent skier? Just check there are enough other competent skiers in the group as otherwise he will end up in a class below his level and not stretching him. This can be frustrating for kids in my experience.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@martinm, Thats the plan; looking for suggestions / previous experience.....

@BergenBergen, Naa; He will want his own boots and skis to play on; cannot get him off his race skis!

@robapplegate, More than happy for him to take his own...

@holidayloverxx, Boots new this week; Both GS and Slalom skis are this seasons Head iSL / GS team. Plus Crash hat and back protector; probably about 1600GBP of kit I'd like to cover.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@scooby_simon, I think you might struggle, pretty sure that our season policy didn't cover up to those limits.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@scooby_simon, Check back with own insurer as they may be covered under personal possessions if you have it but they may not cover if parents aren't with him.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
larry1950 wrote:
@scooby_simon, Check back with own insurer as they may be covered under personal possessions if you have it but they may not cover if parents aren't with him.

Exactly the issues we are having....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@scooby_simon, We have Halifax ultimate rewards account, and get free family winter sports cover. From memory there is nothing saying the kids aren't covered if we aren't there and get personal belongings upto £1500

Worth a look at if you pay for things like AA, mobile phone insurance etc as well as all are covered under the account
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is he likely to lose all of his kit at the same time?

Does he need to take 2 sets of new skis on a school trip? Could he take one set or take his old skis from last season instead?

He might grow out of it all by next year and need new kit anyway so is it really worth insuring it all?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flaine skier wrote:
Is he likely to lose all of his kit at the same time?

Does he need to take 2 sets of new skis on a school trip? Could he take one set or take his old skis from last season instead?

He might grow out of it all by next year and need new kit anyway so is it really worth insuring it all?

It all needs to be covered; if you do not insure it all (and the insco find out) you don't get a full payout. Called being "under insured".

He uses the SL every week race training.
latest report
@scooby_simon, if the school is travelling by coach, this would mean the gear is always with him. If by air obviously different thinking.

Should anything go astray due to theft in the hotel , it is very unlikely all the gear would go at once. i.e Skis are usually in boot room, jacket trousers in bedroom

IMO the £300 should be fairly sufficient.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 1-01-15 17:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@scooby_simon, I used to have children bringing their own equipment when we took ski parties and race training weeks. We told the parents to insure the private gear themselves but made sure that we had copies of the policies. As all the leaders are in loco parents, I can't see there being a problem. The school policies always have been woefully underinsured, it's one of the ways of keeping prices down apparently. Sparing pennies where they shouldn't to be honest, but most school trip skiers are happy bumbling around on hire skis as they don't know any better. I think most companies now provide reasonable kit though, just not the latest all-singing, all-dancing top of the range stuff. In a litigation mad world, it is just not worth the risk any more.
ski holidays
Quote:

@Lizzard, its a school trip.... ... sure skiing wont top of the list

Puzzled Puzzled

Kids on school trips typically spend five hours a day in lessons.
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
most school trip skiers are happy bumbling around on hire skis as they don't know any better.

That's an odd comment! I hire ski's because I can get top skis in good condition for about £100, don't have to carry them around an airport, get them serviced or pay carriage costs!

I do have my own pair but for these reasons don't often use them for my 1 week a year.

And judging by the number of hire shops, I'm not alone snowHead
latest report
I can see why he would want to use his own gear but unless it's a race camp or he's with skiers of similar ability it does seem like unnecessary hassle. I'd say taking two pairs of skis really is pointless though.

I've worked with many school trips over the years and generally the ski company generates a decent amount of business for whichever rental shop they use. As a result we've always had a really good relationship with the shop and staff to the point where the school staff etc get better gear than the kids, particularly the stronger skiers. I agree most rental gear is decent enough these days anyway, but would be surprised if they wouldn't rustle up something more suited to your lad's ability if asked quietly and in the right way Very Happy

Appreciate that doesn't help much if the insured value of the rest of his gear exceeds the school policy. These are normally geared towards providing adequate medical cover rather than high-end personal gear. Ability and experience of a typical school trip is so varied he's unlikely to be tearing around the place at much more than 50% of his ability even with the strongest of ski groups!

Worst case it sounds as though he'll be more than capable on even the most basic rental planks as long as they are properly serviced with the right binding settings - which I guess he can check for himself?

In my experience school trip luggage is quite often left in garages/hotel foyers, especially on the transfer days, in order to get ski fit and other stuff done. I'm not aware of anything going missing in 15 years worth of trips, but ski bags are less common than holdalls on school trips. It's also obvious what they contain.
snow report
@martinm, the vast majority of children on school ski trips do not even own their own boots let alone skis, and for many it may be the only time they ever ski! So bumbling around on their skis makes them as happy as Larry! You only have to watch their grins get wider and wider as the week and their skiing progresses to see and experience that.

As a leader it is your responsibility to ensure the equipment fits correctly and is fit for the purpose. Watching for misfits (blisters are the usual sign along with "dead toes" - too big/small boots), and checking for skis that pre-release or never release is important. Sending/taking the children back to the hire shop to ensure they get a positive experience from their holiday, teachers should never "fiddle" no matter how highly qualified they are. Let the instructor do it if necessary and then get back to the hire shop to ensure things are still OK. The standard of equipment available these days is really high due to the very competitive market, but mistakes and mismatches can and do still occur.
latest report
Instructors can't touch bindings either. Those that do are risking big claims if something goes wrong. We can only check them.
snow report
@Ade57, they can if it is a simple refitting of the length due to the heel piece slipping for example. What they will not do unless in an absolute emergency, is alter the toe or heel piece settings!
snow conditions
Touching them accepts responsibility. In my ski school in Canada we are expressly forbidden and that is the general rule for instructors all over. It's annoying as a trip back to the hire shop can be a pain but with H+S these days it's not worth the risk. Whether you take the risk is personal but it's not recommended and it's likely you wouldn't be supported.
snow report
@Ade57, I think you'll find people are a) less paranoid over here and, more importantly b) how else do you get a client back to base where a qualified technician can check it out? The recourse to litigation is not so pronounced at this end of the Alps because the rewards (i.e. payouts) are strictly limited by law as well as for what you can sue! There are still some sane places left in the world you know wink
snow report
I've taught over here as well and while I think it's silly and yes paranoid, it exists everywhere. Not touching bindings is my interpretation of what I've been told everywhere I've worked.
ski holidays
@Ade57, UK are the same Sad
snow report
What 'qualification' does the guy in the rental shop have. I kind of assumed you could adjust a screw without a specific degree in ski binding adjustment?... ...why would that not be taught to instructors?

Back in the day my school had its own ski s so they could take groups in Scotland. Some of the PE teachers were instructors but I'm sure the qualified instructor to pupil ratio would be 'illegal' now adays. But I bet none had a qualification in screw turning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@scooby_simon, not read the whole thread but getting additional insurance might be a bother in the case of a claim as the insurance companies will both try to say the other company should pay up
snow report
polc1410 wrote:
What 'qualification' does the guy in the rental shop have. I kind of assumed you could adjust a screw without a specific degree in ski binding adjustment?... ...why would that not be taught to instructors?

The guy in the rental shop has done enough of a course for binding manufacturers to agree to indemnify him against claims from customers as long as he has followed his training.

There is nothing stopping instructors from doing a binding course too, we were advised that we ought to do this on the last coaching course that I did, it isn't a normal part of instructor training though.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy