Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marking skis

Poster: A snowHead
What have people found to be the best way to mark skis, to prevent them being taken, by accident or design?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If skiing with other people we often mix our skis up so they are odd pairings when leaving outside bars etc
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A cheap cable lock snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A big Snowheads sticker helps with the error scenario. Not a lot of help with theft. snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Daleybou1234 wrote:
If skiing with other people we often mix our skis up so they are odd pairings when leaving outside bars etc
this and leave them in different areas.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stickers work well. I have a few from local Chamonix shops plastered on my topsheets.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree on stickers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As bertiebasset, will support. Sometimes a stupid fool will inadvertently take a pair of skis which are the wrong make, colour, size and boot fitting. You just can't beat some fools.

Theft is something different.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mix & match in different locations to prevent a simple mistake, however theft is a completely different matter, fortunately never suffered either Toofy Grin

Have a great NYE everyone & happy ski-ing Twisted Evil
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone. Mrs L and I have never owned skis until this season (not strictly true, but near enough) and I've never given much thought to protection of rental skis - though Mrs L has suffered the inconvenience of hers being "borrowed". I have got a cable lock somewhere which I guess I'll hunt down before Saturday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
michaelbury17 wrote:
however theft is a completely different matter,

Theives are opportunists, they wouldn't go to the effort (I hope) of hunting down my other ski.

I've also heard of certain rental shops "taking back" their stock as such.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It depends on whether you want your skis to remain pristine (and whether they are yours, or rented). I've put my name on each ski with a permanent marker - not pretty but unmistakable !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ansta1 wrote:
Sometimes a stupid fool will inadvertently take a pair of skis which are the wrong make, colour, size and boot fitting. You just can't beat some fools.

True, I lost a pair of skis from just outside the hotel bar. A South African gathered up all the skis he could find and carried them off to a bar up the road. Had a worrying 10 minutes. snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
Sometimes a stupid fool will inadvertently take a pair of skis which are the wrong make, colour, size and boot fitting. You just can't beat some fools.

True, I lost a pair of skis from just outside the hotel bar. A South African gathered up all the skis he could find and carried them off to a bar up the road. Had a worrying 10 minutes. snowHead

Indeed. As i understand it some idiot on an insideout pre season tune up, took a pair of skis after lunch, which where the wrong size, wrong make, wrong colour and wrong binding size. I gather said idiot got a bit of a ribbing and bought some wine to make amends for it. What a muppet! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ansta1, Laughing
snow report
For the thief I have used Smart water (free from local Police station) with the associated sticker on the top sheet between the bindings. So when the boots are in the binding you cannot see anything.

For the Muppet I have got a good wire cable lock like the link. Having had an incident in Meribel where I couldn't get the yellow plastic shrouds back through the binding on my return from the Restaurant for a long time and with freezing fingers they were duly removed and everything's great.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Kryptoflex-Cable-Lock-213/dp/B000NOO3ZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420109508&sr=8-1&keywords=cable+lock+wire&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
Have truly distinctive skis with weird graphics plus sticker em up (also useful for marking left from right on symmetrical topsheet skis).
latest report
If they are symmetrical why dya need L & R marked? Suddenly thinking I've missed something key about which might explain my bad skiing all these years...
latest report
We normally split our skis, however, In Italy a chap was on his way out of boot room with my skis... He'd no idea he picked up wrong ones... Lucky I was there, then a friend with us then went to France a few weeks later and a Canadian took his skis for the day !! Canadian didn't even apologise that evening...I was amazing the skis fit his boots...
ski holidays
Clearly the only sensible option is to plaster your skis with snowHeads stickers: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11640#221294
ski holidays
Great idea, just bought some.. Toofy Grin
latest report
I make stickers and labels so I have some super durable labels with my telephone number and name on. Got them hidden all over the bikes too.
snow report
@polc1410, based only on lots of weeks skiing experience I like to know which ski I am using on my L or R so I know which edges may be more worn if if I haven't tuned them during the week (I will switch part way through) but more important for me if I'm having a binding pre release or vice versa a binding I think should have released I know which one to tinker with rather than playing with both blindly....I once had a couple of pre releases didn't realise which ski it was(turned out to be the same ski) then my rockered ski next disappeared down the mountain with the guide saying how fun it was going to be to see my ski one legged down that pitch. Never ever again would I let that happen, I'd be aware now if it was the same ski. Just my opinion, I'm sure others have a more scientific approach
latest report
We use a cable lock, and my ski's have a "Guy Martin skull and crossed spanners" logo on the tips, while mrsthecramps has a Frank Zappa logo on hers. The cable lock isn't a tough one, but would need cutters to get past it (most can be broken with a firm yank). Past that we trust to faith in mankind. Ski left doesn't happen much, and apparently, according to a mate in the insurance industry, happens mostly on the last days of peoples holidays. Weird that.
snow report
polc1410 wrote:
If they are sysharpening and why dya need L & R marked? Suddenly thinking I've missed something key about which might explain my bad skiing all these years...

In my case so I restrict the shovel bashing to one side of each ski. Also good to know which edge you can be lazy sharpening and gives you an optioN when you pop an edge.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy