Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel to Morgins transport

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am part of a group of 8 booked to stay in Morgins for a long weekend. I have been told that Morgins is very quiet in the evenings. Is Chatel any livelier? If so how easy is it to travel between the two resorts via bus or taxi in the evenings and is it expensive? Thanks in advance for any advice given.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It shouldn't be that difficult, although taxis are hard to come by in Chatel in the evenings - so you may have to book something in advance (probably with the taxi that drops you in Chatel) rather than waiting til you're finished at the bars then try and get hold of one.

Morgins Taxis, being on the Swiss side, will probably more pricey than the Chatel French side - just because it's Swiss, breathing is more expensive in Switzerland. But saying that, it's only a 5 minute ride so won't break the bank.

Hope this helps Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your response, is there much of a difference between Morgins and Chatel at night? Not looking for crazy part till dawn night life but would like something a little livelier for apres.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is there any bus service in the evenings between the resorts? Been on the tourist info sites and there doesn't appear to be one.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why would there be an evening bus service?

Alpine taxis are notoriously expensive and unreliable.

Didn't you do any research before booking?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have utilised evening bus services elsewhere in the past. Without going into lots of details yes researched but with a big backdrop of restrictions mainly financial from other members of the group. Taxis yes unreliable but I have used them successfully on other holidays when we have been a bit away from resorts - chamonix, mayrhofen etc just received a quote for 30 euro so less than 4 euro a person.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
is you're quote pour person or fur the hole trip?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last season due to a 'last lift time check malfunction' we ended up getting a cab from Chatel to Champery, it cost about 40 euros from memory. Morgins is about half the distance I'd imagine, if not less. Luckily there was a cab sitting unused in Chatel when we got there, but I don't know otherwise how easy it is.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some of the bars in Chatel have a "drive you home service" (presumably to encourage those staying some way out of the centre to come in and have a skinful). I’ve no experience of the service but you might persuade one of them to do a drop off over the border. I guess it would help if you arrived early and stayed late and kept the barman busy!

As far as night life goes there are a few bars that will have a bit of atmosphere and a night club I've never been to (we just barely kept one of our party out the evening of the "Soiree Sexy" with "Nurses" behind the bar). It's not a wild night out but I think more lively than Morgins.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chatel isn't that lively. Maybe a bit livelier than Morgins but I'd question if it's worth a taxi and all the attendant effort. No doubt when you are in resort you can ski over in the afternoon to scope it out and see what's what. It's not a million miles so shouldn't cost the earth. At a stretch you could walk it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Centre to centre is around 5km and 300m of vertical ascent/descent. You certainly could walk it – I’ve done it lots of times when out in the summer - but I wouldn’t fancy it after a night on the town. Best part of an hour I would think and very dark.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Taxis *should* be easy and not too expensive. But they are not. The hubby did this 2 weeks ago. Went for dinner with friends staying in Morgins and got a Swiss taxi back, he can't remember the exact fare the chap quoted but it was about 50 CHF Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone. Sounds like it an option if we fancy a change. Just counting down the days now!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love Morgins, it's where it all began for me. Yes it's small and quiet but how many bars can you drink in at once? M3S Bar should be good and busy for apre, the owners, a Swiss German who's a real character and his English wife are great company. Get yourself in Le Di. Vins for some amazing Savoyard cuisine and a drink afters, just don't worry about the bill - you're on holiday. There's even a nightclub, or there was, called Milk I think? The Dutch bar is good on the right night as is the Peruvian themed place on the road in. I'm jealous, it's been a couple of years since I've been and I've fond memories of the place.

There's no bus between Chatel and Morgins even during the day. Just a bus across Morgins and then you ski across the border to Chatel. We did get stuck in Chatel one evening and a few Euros for a friendly bus driver saw us dropped to our door.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Snow Hound that's reassuring to hear.
latest report
I don't think it's such a big deal to get between Chatel and Morgins. It's walkable, as DJL pointed out, but it's quite a long walk. Taxis booked in Chatel are approx 17e for either direction, so your quote of 30e for 8 people seems reasonable.

Chatel is livelier than Morgins, lively enough to keep you going for a weekend, from what you've mentioned. I would suggest planning your sortie to Chatel on the night(s) when the Avalanche bar has something on - they usually have a DJ a couple of nights a week and these nights are the liveliest.

Would suggest a pub crawl as follows:
- Start off with apres ski at Godille, maybe pop into Vie (dutch bar) if it looks busy. Both these bars will quieten at 7. Godille is good to sit outside and people-watch as people come off the slopes.
- From there go to Nazcar (French/Euro bar) for a pre dinner drink and have some dinner around there. The whole town will suddenly become quiet between dinner time and 1030.
- at about 1030, go to Avalanche (British/Euro pub, typical of many ski resorts) and maybe with a swift one in Isba (typical French bar) on the way.

During the season the Avalanche closes fairly late, at 1am or maybe later. Le Sloopys, Chatel's only nightclub starts about midnight and is a fairly typical French nightclub. I've only ever been there twice, both during the off-season. IIRC you get a complimentary standard drink with your entry price and from there, the cheapest way to drink is to buy bottles (or half bottles if available) of vodka/whisky/whatever, as the mixers are complimentary. If there's not enough of you to finish the bottle, you can put it behind the bar with your name on it for your next visit.

Between Chatel and Morgins, I think there's enough to keep you amused for a long weekend. There are two bars in Morgins, M3S and T bar and there's usually a few people in both. There's also a nightclub, but I've never been there and I don't know it's opening days. Have fun.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy