Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots..on dry slope???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Now i have some nice new and fitted boots I have been using them on the local dry slope. Its not very long and we spend more time on the drag lift than skiing down. But my feet really ache on the lift. My boots have since been stretched making them better but not perfect. Should I now wait until i can try them on snow or look to get it perfect before we go?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Glenfish, i guess it depends on how much you have used them on the dry slope, it takes a few days of skiing to bed the boots in, depending on where the ache is will depend if they need stretching or something else doing.... often the cuff adjustment (canting is it is wrongly called) being in the wrong position will give a pain under the outer edge of the foot, impossible to say without seeing the foot and the boot.

as you say you spend more time on the lift than skiing it may be something that doesn't give you any problem when you get to the mountains (unless you spend your entire day on drag lifts)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, @CEM is the expert - foolish of me to comment, but I've never understood this stuff about ski boots being uncomfortable. My last 2 boots needed some adjustment to get them right. Recent boots got in Tignes and had to go back once. Boots before at Hemel (then dry slope) and had your experience: boots hurt a bit, had them adjusted by S&R - not perfect but went off to ski holiday all the same. Result: lots of pain. Had to get them adjusted twice more to get them right.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My boots are great on snow but dryslopes with the draglifts still ache somewhat. I'd say try to improve them, but if it doesn't get 100℅ you'll probably still be okay on snow IMO. Jonpim, it does depend a bit on your feet\weight. Most of my friends have no\ very little trouble after initial fitting tweaks, but I always have, combination of lack of flexibility, overweight and v wide feet.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Glenfish,

Have you tried undoing the buckles for now while going up the drag lift ?

Are the boots fine while skiing down? And walking around ?

Who stretched the boots and also after how many hours on the dryslope ? boots can take a while to bed in on a dryslope because you generally are not skiing the whole day so what may take a few days to a week in resort can take weeks on a dryslope.

I would suggest think about all the above and then maybe ask CEM, for some more advice he has a fantastic reputation on here as a bootfitter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the advice.
Worn the boots for approximately 10 hrs in total now. I understand in the scale of things that isnt long. I didnt try undoing them on the lift..that would have been a good idea.
The boots were stretched around both outsides from about mid foot to the big toe base.
They feel ok around the house with thin socks but bigger ski socks my feet feel tightly wrapped. I did wear tjose socks on the fitting. Apologies if i am going over old ground.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy