Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from grenoble to ski resorts in the evening - safe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've booked seats on a flight that lands in Grenoble at 3:40pm. We'll then drive by hire car to a resort (haven't decided which one yet)

I'm concerned this may be a bit late in the afternoon (we're going the week beginning 14th March so the internet says sunset will be 6:41pm)? Although I'll be taking snow chains and shovel etc I'm not very experienced driving on ice/snow.

This is the current short list for resorts, do you think any of these are too far to make safely before dark?

Brides Les Bains
Meribel
Alpe D'huez
La Grave
Orelle
Bourg Saint Maurice

Thanks for your help,

Mnbv
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alpe D'Huez is the closest only a couple of hours if the traffic is OK. Even at this time of year there would still be a little light left. La Grave isn't much further easy by daylight in March.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mnbv, i wouldn't worry about driving in the dark, provided you're normally a confident driver and happy to drive in the dark at home. Just make sure you know where you're going, have a proper map and don't rely on a sat nav without checking where it's taking you. If there's snow about make sure you know how to put the snow chains on and do it as soon as you feel any loss of traction. Don't play music; you need to be listening for wheel spin, as well as feeling it.
And be pleased ; snow is just what you're after!

There's no great mystique about driving on snow. Keep revs down, stay in highest gear practicable, leave plenty of space between vehicles, drive on eggshells, steer gently into a skid. Above all, don't panic. If you get stuck, rock car a bit in forward and reverse, drop back a bit,put something under wheels to increase friction, get passengers to push if all fails and if it's safe. Oh, and you will do better with wheels straight.

Probably the roads will be clear!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mnbv, You should be safe!! It is not too late!! (for any of the places). Driving in the early evening is no problem. (even not on THE RIGHT SIDE of the road) wink

It is not every week-end there is a snow storm! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're this nervous about merely driving in the dark, how are you going to cope with La Grave? Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Lizzard, exactly, some snowHeads had to ski down in the dark after some knob got himself stranded on Banane a couple of years ago and their guide had to help him down and call the heli.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Driving in france at this time of the year is foolhardy to say the least unless you take a qualifide guide,snow chains , backup 4x4 jeep,vhf radios , mountain tent and enough food to last a week.let us know how your experdition goes good luck you will be in my prayers wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jon e, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haha ok thanks for the advice!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think there are big Scarry monsters that come out after dark in the alps
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jon e wrote:
Driving in france at this time of the year is foolhardy to say the least unless you take a qualifide guide,snow chains , backup 4x4 jeep,vhf radios , mountain tent and enough food to last a week.let us know how your experdition goes good luck you will be in my prayers wink

Surely you forgot that you must have a driving instructor in a red suit who has driven round le mans within 18% of the time of Romain Grosjean in the car in front of you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Timbobaggins, it's called a dahu.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mnbv wrote:
Hi,

I've booked seats on a flight that lands in Grenoble at 3:40pm. We'll then drive by hire car to a resort (haven't decided which one yet)

I'm concerned this may be a bit late in the afternoon (we're going the week beginning 14th March so the internet says sunset will be 6:41pm)? Although I'll be taking snow chains and shovel etc I'm not very experienced driving on ice/snow.

This is the current short list for resorts, do you think any of these are too far to make safely before dark?

Brides Les Bains
Meribel
Alpe D'huez
La Grave
Orelle
Bourg Saint Maurice

Thanks for your help,

Mnbv

if you are hiring a car - why not get one with winter tyres? If you have that you should mostly be fine - they grip very nicely on a lot of snowy surfaces. (two seasons of driving every weekend to french/swiss ski resorts with winter tyres - and not once did I need snow chains)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I make 3:40 the middle of the afternoon. It will very much like driving in the UK at that time of day and year. Your hire car will come with headlights so you can drive after dark in it. (before anyone laughs, one of my motor bikes is street legal and doesn't have or need any lights).

Grenoble airport is actually quite a long way from Grenoble and I suspect Bourg st Maurice is getting on for a 2 hour drive away. Provided you get your hire fairly quickly and the flight is on time etc should be at any of them before 6:40. Since you are driving east you shouldn't have the setting sun in your eyes.

My only suggestion will be to take a torch in the remote possibility you will have to use snow chains after dark. And you will need to rent or buy snow chains. I would be surprised and delighted if you actually have to drive on snow to get to any of the resorts you have listed
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@chocksaway, He is not doing a 'Top Gear "Challenge"' just driving to a ski resort. And even then you forgot the full written risk assessment.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy