Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boot buying and fitting - Aaaagh! - help wanted!

Poster: A snowHead
So, after 12 years am about to replace my Tecnica Icon Carbon (stiff, 4 clip, MP27.5 or approx. 8.5 UK mens) boots ... I'm a mainly on-piste skier, reasonable standard with 25+ years skiing behind me ... facing the dilemma of new boots - yikes!

I've hesitated for 2+ seasons because I can still tighten boots up for a reasonable fit and if I'm honest, I'm worried about going through years of badly fitting boots all over again! I pronate badly, have flat feet (once had plantar fasciitis which was "cured" by getting proper podiatrist made orthotics from Langer which also reduced terrible arch cramp and pain in ski boots substantially), had very bad experience with foamed Dynafit 3F boots (Mike Brown himself of Snow and Rock fame fitted the second pair which STILL went wrong!) and once had Snow and Rock Hemel sell me a pair that were clearly FAR TOO BIG and had to be replaced at their expense when I got back to UK ... BUT funnily enough they sold me the Tecnica Icon Carbons I've lived with for the last 12 years and some 30+ weeks of skiing.

Live in Hertfordshire and am contemplating the following some of whom I've called and spoken to over phone as well as studying their web site and other previous comments here and elsewhere:

a) Profeet - see reasonable reputation but don't like the Sidas insoles they use which have NEVER been good for me - they can feel great in the shop but in real use my arch cramp kicks in

b) Surefoot - as (a) reasonably good reputation but they seem to favour "their" boots with custom moulded inners - "their" shells are mainly Lange but can offer other makes but seemed a little reluctant to consider Tecnica (which they stock) even though my current ones work reasonably well!

c) Solutions4Feet - Bicester - highly recommended I see BUT don't do Tecnica and - this is where my historical concerns/issues/experience/paranoia kicks in - I fear I'll be fitted out with something that doesn't work well BUT don't find out till I get to the slopes ... and like (a) and (b) probably won't be able to get anything done in resort without ruining warranty etc. and a holiday week ... yes I could try out on Snowcentre slope but sometimes problems don't arise until one is really working on a steep or icy slope.

d) OR do it in resort ... but then waste a half-day there on expensive holiday/skiing time and possibly a novice boot fitter, language problems etc etc.

I AM going to get new orthotics anyway given the 10 years since having them in case my foot etc have changed ...

QUESTION: Who would YOU go to for a new pair of boots and fitting and possibly proper orthotic insoles if you were me? All (polite) suggestions/experiences welcomed!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi - I'm a fan of Solutions for Feet and their collaboration with Alpine McCannix as per link below. They sorted me out with a remedy for my pronating AND supinating very peculiar feet!!!!!! I am an orthotic user too. They used my existing boots tho, provided adjustments and created foot beds - need to point out I have not had a "from scratch" service from them.

http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/pwpcontrol.php?pwpID=1828

Anyway hope u get things sorted somehow, all the best and Happy New Year Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good afternoon @Ashridge, and welcome to snowHead s
Colin at Solutions 4 feet has a huge following on this forum and people have travelled from a lot further than Hertfordshire to get a well-fitted set of ski boots. He is very knowledgeable about different foot-types and what shells will fit them best - I'm no expert Embarassed but imagine that there will be other shells that can cope with your flat feet. I have the same problem and he retro-fitted my boots bought elsewhere to make them work reasonably well. When I can afford to treat myslef to a new pair, I will be making the 200 mile round-trip to Bicester.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone posted in another boot thread the other day that they were in Solutions4Feet a few years ago and saw them send a customer to someone else, as they didn't have suitable boots for their feet and they weren't in the business of selling the wrong boots just to sell boots.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is nothing to lose going to talk to a couple of the above - I've visited CEM who was quite clear about what boot would suit my needs (which they didn't sell) and he isn't too far away to drop in and discuss your needs. Edit - it might have been me in the other thread, but I know I am not alone! The critical bit is that every other shop has always had a go at fitting a boot, even if they knew it wasn't 100%. CEM also didn't charge for an hour of his time and advice, though we did use some of his time to help Mrs MP with her fairly dodgy old footbeds and paid for that.

You seem pretty hung up about Technica boots, in reality from one season to the next their boots could be dramatically different, let alone 10 years after your previous purchase. Any of the above will be able to suggest a boot that fits, perhaps even better than the ones you have already, and if the Technica is the right boot you can be sure they will reccomend it.

You shouldn't need to go through years of badly fitting boots, but given the Hemel snow centre is open most of the time, what is to stop you getting a boot fitted and taking it for 2 or 3 hours in there to test them out, make any minor tweaks as necessary before your next ski trip?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well you've ruled our Profeet yourself. A pal of mine got his in Surefoot in Courchevel and he is delighted with them. I went to Solutions4feet and they're great. I had to go back to get them blown a little more (i have a very large bunion) - no problem. I would only get them done in resort if I'd had a really good recommendation. I'd be surprised if Solutions4feet can't help you but if he Can't I think he would tell you. Be aware you have to book an appointment.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My boot fitting experience is in this thread, from a Snow & Rock purchase, but i can't bash them as they did as good a job as they could to help me out with the issues i had. I can't say the boots from Solutions4Feet are perfect as they've not yet been on snow, but they're snug around the house and hopefully will be able to report back in a couple of weeks. i think for me the system that was in place at Solutions4Feet gave me confidence that i was making a good choice. I don't doubt it, but i can't prove it as yet.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2569281
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ashridge, Welcome to snowheads. I used to swear by my Technica boots too BUT, have been in Salomon and Rossignol boots since. In short it doesn't matter about the colour, brand, the pink fluffy pom poms,, colour of the clips etc, its all about the fit and getting the right boot for your ability and use. Colin at Solutions4feet has the knowledge and a decent range of boots. He wouldn't stock crap! Go to him and your feet will love you. I said recently in another post that I was in getting new boots this year and the work he was doing with on this ladies boots was amazing. lets just say her feet were a challenge, and the work needed you would never have gotten from snow and rock. The other joy of using Colin, is if you need adjustments, hes in the uk and its easy peasy. I drive nearly 5 hours to see him and will gladly do it every couple of years to see him!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for CEM and another with dodgy feet (tiny, v wide at front and v narrow at heel, pronating and hence flat). I thank my lucky stars at least once a season that I only live an hour from him.

He'll say what he thinks (not much pandering done in his shop) but he absolutely, utterly knows his stuff.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
swoafs wrote:
He'll say what he thinks (not much pandering done in his shop) but he absolutely, utterly knows his stuff.

This! It never takes Colin long to tell me which boots I am having! Its like shopping with the wife - YOU WILL WEAR THIS and of course shes always right, as is Colin Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I started a thread a few years back regarding boot fitters which became a "sticky", although it seems to have unstuck itself and I can find no reference to it at all now, not even in my posting history. Anyway, long story short is that Cheshire to Bicester is not too far to get a pair of boots fitted by Colin at Solutions4Feet. Give him a shout, you won't be disappointed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ashridge, welcome to the madhouse

we do stock Tecnica, it just never made it onto the website as it was a late addition we have both cochise 110 and mach I 120, doesnt mean it is the correct boot as the shapes have changed a fair bit since the days of the boot you have

biggest problem will be if you want these quickly, currently we are fully booked till about the 20th jan
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depending on where in Hertfordshire you are, it would be worth thinking about Outdoor Traders in Abingdon (and now also in Reading I think). They're very good (and one of the places Colin sends people on to as they do the fully customized Dale Boots.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ashridge, that was overwhelming. It sounds like you should see CEM!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Depending on where in Hertfordshire you are, it would be worth thinking about Outdoor Traders in Abingdon (and now also in Reading I think). They're very good (and one of the places Colin sends people on to as they do the fully customized Dale Boots.)

A thumbs up for James at Outdoor Traders. First comfy boots in 25 years on the slopes, don't even feel the need to loosen them for lunch or coffee breaks any more. Didn't need to go to the extreme of the Dale boots because I only have issues with limited flex and a very pronounced ankle bone (medial malleolus) but was impressed when after trying on a number of pairs at the initial stage of the fitting process, James decided upon the cheapest of the options as the best fit for me.
ski holidays
Surefoot can be a hit and miss, and unless you have an option of skiing for extended periods of time I wouldn't recommend them. They can take long time of skiing daily to get used to them. Being mostly a weekend warrior I've given up but a friend of mine who lives in resort and has a job that allows him to ski every day persevered and now swears by them - during the first week he couldn't ski for more than an hour, but gradually they became better and after a month he could finally ski in them with no issues whatsoever.
snow report
Bloody hell, I ended up in a race type boot with foam liners, and apart from a couple of tweeks after the first two days I have skied 18 weeks on and off piste with no problems apart from faffing with fine adjustment. Had to have a pressure point bloiwn out this week after a sprained ankle changed the joint shape slightly.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, Same as you - CEM fitting my race boots and after fidling with the buckles to suit me theyve been brilliant. OK after several hours skiing the start to hurt a bit but thats race boots!! Had CEM fit my latest boots, without the need to wear them around the house, went straight out skiing and they are a dream!
snow report
Go and see Colin at S4feet. Simples.
snow report
@scooby_simon, +1
ski holidays
Thank you all of your for your comments and info - much appreciated. Well I'm going to make an appointment with Colin ... not saying when for confidentiality reasons ... ! wink

Hung up on Tecnica's? Don't think so - just wanted as wide a range of boots as possible to be available when I do go AND why rule out the ONE make that has been the closest to a good fit of all the boots I've ever had over the years?

Especially when you realise the full saga of bad ski boot fitting which I have "enjoyed" over the years .. here's a selection off the top of my head:

a) Salomon SX90 or 91s (can't recall - they were grey!) ... their first boot and the first rear entry boot made and allegedly retailers got a bigger margin to get Salomon boots into the market -great for first week - then the cable over the top of the foot/instep started to bite and the heel lift

b) Dynafit 3F Foam - 4 clip - two pairs of these - the first were glorious for 3 weeks over 2 seasons, snug fit but no pain ... and then the foam went off in some way and when the inner was cut open it had become like large sugar crystals one used to see for coffee - apart from the feet hurting I also go terrible shin bangs and bruising ... so bad I took photos and went back to Snow and Rock Kensington ... Mike Brown himself foamed a new pair... with new Sidas insoles ... never felt as good as the first pair but the foam didn't go off and I put up with these though they were not as comfortable for several seasons ... had to have some acetone injected to dissolve or "kill the foam" as the boot shop put it in Zermatt to ease the pain one time ...

c) Another pair of Salomons - conventional shape, not rear entry - Snow and Rock Hemel - too big inside a week - blisters, arch cramp, no control - tried various remedies in resort, little better, took them back and it seemed the sales man, sorry "fitter" had left and had been selling whatever they had to maximise his commission ... not impressed

d) Tecbnica Icon Carbon - from the start they felt more comfortable, half size smaller than the Salomon's and amazingly a different person at Snow and Rock Hemel suggested these ... Sidas insole again ... useless ... own orthotic acquired later got rid of most of arch burn/cramp/pain.

And those are just the ones I remember! And most had Sidas or similar customer insoles as well! There were others but flattish, wider, lower feet ruled out some other makes I was told ....

So, given the above, can you understand why I've hung onto a pair of boots that work reasonably well, give me a bit of arch cramp first thing in the morning mainly, and resisted the "lure" of new boots given the weeks of wasted time, effort, pain and discomfort in the past?

Will report back when I have news ...
latest report
So took the plunge and went to Solutions3Feet in Bicester in February but CEM wouldn't sell me any boots as he didn't have ones he regarded as the right fit for me - Atomic Hawx 130. He had me try on the softer 110 flex version of these for size but they were too soft for me he felt being quite a heavy and strong skier.

Went skiing in the meantime with my Tecnica Icon Carbons again and by really tightening them on leg and over top of foot, I stopped all foot movement and that reduced the arch burn to almost nothing - lesson learnt there was part of my arch burn was due to the foot scrabbling for grip as the steepness/intensity increased. Stop that and most of it went away as the toes were no longer trying to dig in and stop the foot moving! It was as if the boots realised they were on the way out and didn't want to give up!

A month later he'd managed to find some more stock and I returned ... thorough checks on these and then the fitting process started - moulded insoles were done and properly (not standing but sitting so less weight on them and arch support correct when used); the shells heated up in an oven and then feet inserted and allowed to mould liners around my feet. Bit more work on the inside of the foot/arch where I bulge when I pronate as I flex forward ... other stuff which I've forgotten now and a good hour spent I would say.
Shells were a full Mondopoint smaller than my Tecnicas and weighed 20% less.

Went skiing a week later to Val D'Isere - virtually no discomfort and certainly no pain at all! was careful not to over-tighten on day one but gradually tightened them up over 2-3 days. Less effort involved in skiing, felt plenty stiff enough and good control and a very snug all over fit with no pressure points.

All in all I'm delighted and would recommend CEM without hesitation .the only worrying thing is the rest of the family now want their boots checked out or changed as they all suffered for several days when they got new boots and are jealous!
ski holidays
Did CEM keep the Atomic liner or go for the Zipfit?

I've just got the Atomic Hawx 120 from Viking Ski in Chicago - was a good and interesting bootfitting. Was surprised how the flex in particular felt so much better on the Atomic rather than the others - a pair of Salomon's seemed to be a small flex then a brick wall.

I tried changing the forward lean also as its an easy Torx bolt change - the 13 degree seemed an improvement for my balance...
snow report
Kept the Sidas made inner/liner. And yes, he set mine up more upright than my Tecnicas and I noticed my quads seemed to be working less hard.
latest report
A good hour and a half from Hertfordshire but fantastic and knowledgable service. May take more than one visit though as they file/bend/heat and all the rest of it. Worth the hassle if you want to get it right though. I'd call first though and make sure John's there.

http://www.snowfit.co.uk/about-us
snow conditions
40 mins from where we are in NW Herts. Only one visit for me (once they got the right boots in) and it's Solutions 4 Feet ... not my mistyped Solutions 3 Feet!
ski holidays
Ashridge wrote:
40 mins from where we are in NW Herts. Only one visit for me (once they got the right boots in) and it's Solutions 4 Feet ... not my mistyped Solutions 3 Feet!
we knew what you meant Very Happy
ski holidays
i have haglund's syndrome both ankles and have had he bone shaved on both ankles , surefeet in val disere were excellent walked into sj=hop after full days skiing boots were ready next morning fully fitted . found them excellent from the beginning . that was 3years ago skied 10 weeks on them still perfect ,have had 3 friends who have subsequently been fitted there one only needed new footbeds and a custom liner . expensive yes worth it YES
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy