Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much weight do you want to save?

Poster: A snowHead
@clarky999, yeah you can.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@meh, thanks
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So I went out for a mini tour yesterday, used my Auras, F10's and Cochise boots, same setup as last year apart from the boots. I have no idea if I am a lot fitter than the last time I went out or if the Cochise boots are a lot lighter than my older Technica Crushes but it felt a hell of a lot easier than the last time. The Auras are also pretty good, I would still prefer them to have a bit of rocker but I don't find the lack of it as much of a problem as when I am skiing lift served off piste which has been skied out, thawed,refrozen etc., and in reality they are a pretty good size for most conditions, 177cm 94mm underfoot. So my desire for new, shiny things has been quenched by actually getting out and using my old, less shiny things. I have no idea what the Auras weigh, less than 2kg/ski anyway, a 2012 Volkl Nanuq weighs 1.6kg/ski although I'm not sure if these have more metal than the Nanuq.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today touring I was reminded of how people wanting ultra light MTB's would shell out loads of dosh when loosing 5kgs would be a lot cheaper, and then when riding in muddy conditions it was all pretty irrelevant as the bike ended up having about 10kg of mud stuck to it.

Today I was skinning in fresh powder and my skis kept on ending up with a fair volume of snow on top of them which added a fair amount of weight, trouble is you kick the snow off with a flick, snow goes up in the air and down your neck rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well made my first step and was fitted with some shiny new Fischer Transalp vacuum fit boots by Ski Bartlett. The boots are a bit lighter / less burly than I was thinking of but I was seduced by their advice that they would really suit my slightly odd feet (one size difference between them, high arches but narrow heels). The whole shell (clog, cuff, as well as liner) is moulded using air pressure which usefully takes the volume out round my heels and the shorter foot. Even before they were moulded they just seemed to suit my posture. Fischer do make a more hike and ride, swappable sole boot but it doesn't have tech inserts.

Skiied them this weekend with the prophets and freerides. Very comfortable close fit. They are a bit soft but by the time you have cranked them up completely manageable. Surprised me that I really only noticed the softness in chopped up stuff. Of course the pistes are excellent at the moment but found I could set high edge angles and link short carves on the piste - so pretty precise even with freerides. I do wonder how I'd managed in chopped up crud on wider skis - could get a bit wobbly - but maybe better bindings might help.

Anyway - think boot reviews are a bit pointless, its so personal, but I would say the fischer shell moulding process is worth thinking about if you have awkward feet.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@clarky999 "On hard snow Markers ski far far better than traditional dynafits. No idea about the Beast - or the Kingpin for that matter."

I first toured on Line SFB's (the 2010 115mm waist model) with Baron's, so excluding the boots and skins something like 3.5kg per foot. I then went to the opposite end with DPS Wailer 112 Pure's with Plum Guide's (Dynafit clone 660g a pair), which were just over 2Kg per foot. The difference was massive, not just due to overall weight, but as is often mentioned, the toe pivot is much more natural, and you only lift you boot, not the binding frame with each step.

I then wanted ski brakes, and tried the Plum brakes which were worse than useless, causing pre-releases, so switched to the Radical ST's (1100g a pair). The weight of the Radical's is actually less once brakes, and heel pad had been added to the Guide's. The Radical's also had the all imported forward heel pressure spring, allowing more ski flex without release.

This season I put Beast 16's on my new skis, and of course they are heavier at around 1900g a pair, but to my mind they ski just like an alpine binding, and tour as well as the Guide/Radical. The weight per foot is back up to around 2.8Kg per ski, but the peace of mind in not having to worry out pre-release or locking the toe for security is more than worth it.

And yes, you can get 130mm Dynafit crampons, they come in bling gold.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PowderAdict wrote:

This season I put Beast 16's on my new skis, and of course they are heavier at around 1900g a pair, but to my mind they ski just like an alpine binding, and tour as well as the Guide/Radical. The weight per foot is back up to around 2.8Kg per ski, but the peace of mind in not having to worry out pre-release or locking the toe for security is more than worth it.

That's really good to know, thanks.

Have to say I'm EDIT: NOT particularly worried about pre-releasing from my TLT Speeds anymore, it's just the feel on hard snow.

Do the Beasts really feel like an apline binding on hard chattery windboard and sastrugi? I'd happily take the extra weight in exchange for my feet not feeling like Ralph Harris's vibrating musical board thingy on that stuff!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 10-02-15 13:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buying touring kit feels a bit like buying a mobile phone - the stuff out now looks great but you have this nagging feeling it will be looking like old tech in 18 months' time Confused
so I am waiting until they release a binding that is as light and cheap as my Dynafit TLT Speeds, but skis like a Look P18... another 18 months I reckon Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had Marker Lord SP's last year, Quiver killer mounted with the Guide's as I did it want to buy Beasts on their first production release year. With the Guide's hard packed chop was teeth rattling, but with the Lord's it was ok. Under the same snow conditions I am not sure I could tell the difference between the Lord and the Beast. Previously I was always aware I was on touring binding on piste, now with the Beast I don't even think about it. Off piste where touring bindings are supposed to be used, the lighter weight options are fine.

It is always wise to stay away form first production year of touring binding, as most have issues. For example the toe pins on the Marker Kingpin come out, and again the toe wings/pins on the Diamir Vipec had to redesigned. Dynafit withdrew the Radical 2.0 before its release due to heel issues. So far only the G3 Ion bindings have proved to be fault free.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PowderAdict, thanks

@Arno, Laughing with you there!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
Have any of you ever bought crampons for your Markers.........discuss Little Angel

why do you need crampons for skiing downhill in resort ?
has anyone ever bought skins to go with their markers Wink

Laughing

Is it because ski crampons look good in the back of an SUV?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
Have to say I'm particularly worried about pre-releasing from my TLT Speeds anymore, it's just the feel on hard snow.

I came out of mine on piste, Kooky was behind me at the time. Luckily the only damage was bent brakes and my ego getting hit hard with embarassment (it was the first run of the day). Embarassed

.... but the beasts won't fit my boots (Dynafit TLT6's) so will probably go back to an alpine setup for faster piste skiing.

Are the radical 2's going to be any better in this pre-release respect?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Have to say I'm particularly worried about pre-releasing from my TLT Speeds anymore, it's just the feel on hard snow.

I came out of mine on piste, Kooky was behind me at the time. Luckily the only damage was bent brakes and my ego getting hit hard with embarassment (it was the first run of the day). Embarassed

.... but the beasts won't fit my boots (Dynafit TLT6's) so will probably go back to an alpine setup for faster piste skiing.

Are the radical 2's going to be any better in this pre-release respect?

Oops, sorry, meant to say NOT particularly worried about pre-releasing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What is the issue between the TLT6 and the Beast, the mounting of the heel plate?

The Radical 2.0 will have more heel elasticity and the rotating toe should help prevent pre-releases. It won't be up to the Beast levels, but better than the existing lightweight / middle weight range.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PowderAdict wrote:
What is the issue between the TLT6 and the Beast, the mounting of the heel plate?

See the comments ...

"One important question is that Dynafit does not recommend TLT6’s for it’s use with the new “beast” binding. They say no to install the beast heel tech fittings on TLT6’s, TLT5’s, DyNA’s, and PDG’s because of the lack of material to assure a secure fix of heel fittings."

https://www.wildsnow.com/10766/dynafit-tlt-6-p-first-retail-look/
snow conditions
Thank you DB.

I knew the Mercury's and Vulcan''s were fine. I guess when Dynafit does lightweight it really does remove every perceived extra gram of plastic Shocked
latest report
I feel bad about buying my second set of Atomic Trackers at 1500g per binding Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy