Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada in April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi to everyone, been recently thinking of making the change and exploring Canada instead of Europe. Had my eye on Whistler as myself and the OH are becoming more competent and like to try to cover lots of area to improve, anyway as I'm a teacher can only travel in holiday times so thinking of looking at 9-23rd of April 2016!! Just wonder if this is the best time to go or if anyone can suggest alternatives?!

Many thanks in advance!!
Hugh
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might also help if i mention that we have been to places like La Plagne, Andorra and Bansko so have some experience of small medium and large resorts and mostly stick to pisted runs of all colours (OH not too brave when heading off piste!!)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whistler has generally a really decent snow pack come April. I've skied there as late as the 22nd of April a number of years ago, and it was great spring conditions. There's a big 10 day ski and snowboard comp going on that 2nd week of April. Lots of events and concerts, if you and the OH are into that stuff. Don't know that there would be enough to keep you entertained for two weeks but you could also spend a few days in Vancouver too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My husband and I went to Canada last April. We considered several options but in the end we did a few days in Vancouver then skied in Banff (via internal flight). We were able to ski norquay, sunshine and lake Louise from there and had fab conditions, fresh snow every other day (although we were lucky). We really loved skiing in Canada.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hughjazz, isn't Easter early in 2016? Our kids are back in school on 11/4/16.

I've been researching Canadian skiing at Easter for the same reason. Apart from Whistler, most resorts seem very iffy once you reach April. Historic statistics for the upper mountain Whistler snow pack suggest that it tends to level out at the end of March but doesn't really start to decline until mid way through the month.

You can get some great package deals through the resort's web site, btw. The CAD has fallen sharply against the pound which helps loads.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Been many times to Whistler at whenever the Easter holidays were and there was always plenty of snow. They do shut Whistler mountain down around about when you are taking of finishing - don't think they have published when yet though for 2016. However even if they do there is still Blackcomb open for another month. April is a good time to go as it is warmer and there is loads of snow. Tried NY once and that was nothing like as good and much more expensive.

They do have loads of off piste but they have huge amounts of pistes too; hundreds. Note they do not piste everything that is a "piste" everyday - some less than once a week. It also can snow a lot in a day so can be a bit like off piste even on them by the end of the morning. Easy to find your way around and everyone speaks a version of English and are all happy to help. Very friendly staff.

It can get busy at weekends though as there are a lot of locals that travel up for a day or the weekends. It is surprisingly cheap though in comparison to Europe price uplifts at Easter as Easter is not a big thing in USA/Canada so hotels have generally got capacity left.

They do put on a festival but that is because they are trying to get people there to fill the spare beds they have.

If you are going and going to go down the package route bounce 3 TO's off each other and you will get a great deal. Do it before November 2015 as the ski pass/hotel/ski hire discounts are all better then. Mainly used Ski Independence, but Virgin beat them one year

Agree with the current CAD exchange rate being good too. Worst was 1.3 something but last trip at 1.8 was brilliant. Dropped a bit this year but still good at the mo.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would look at Banff and ski Sunshine Village. It holds its snow well into May. I've skied Lake Louise in mod April as well and conditions were great but Sunshine would be my recommendation. Also far more typically Canadian than Whistler.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi hughjazz. Ade 57 is right. April onwards you need to head for Alberta. We've moved from the UK to near Banff 4 years ago and we've been season pass holders at the Banff Big 3 resorts every season since then. Whistler is definitely Canada's best resort but it does have a shorter season, and April can be wet. You will find that most Canadians wouldn't think of booking a trip to Whistler that late. The Banff resorts have longer seasons (there's a reason why the seasons are longer-better late season conditions!). You'll find what locals do is to move from LL to SSV from April onwards. LL closes 2-3 weeks earlier than SSV. SSV's elevation means that the is more of a guarantee of late seasons snow...and decent snow at that. Whistler and the Banff Big 3 are very different resorts and many people chose Whistler over the Big 3 for the nightlife, length of run, hectares etc but if great late season conditions are your priority, pick Banff. Hope you have fun. Skiing Western Canada is an unforgettable experience.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy