Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best runs in Whistler..?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any favourites or suggestions for the best runs in whistler..?

We're heading out there for the first time on 15th January for our honeymoon. We've never skied anywhere but 3 vallees, usually zip around the red runs and both confident.

As always any advice is appreciated!

~Mac
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On blackcomb I like rock n roll and an off piste area called fraggle rock.
I have not been there since they realigned the crystal ridge chair on blackcomb. It should now be better for repeat skiing. It's a good area.
Blackcomb glacier run is also a great away from it all experience.

On whislter I'm a fan of the dave Murray downhill, whistler bowl for bumps and anything off the harmony chair. I could spend a day exploring all the terrain off harmony - in fact, if I only had to choose one lift to ski on for the rest of my days, it would be harmony (less the lifelines). At the end of the trip you could try throwing yourself off one of the harmony horseshoes (some are a lot easier than others - so choose wisely).
There are also a few runs off the garbanzo chair which are good in cloudy weather (try the dave Murray downhill into bear paw and back to the lift)

Have you heard of the book called advanced ski guide to whistler blackcomb? About £15 and worth it for the arial shots of the terrain.

Make sure you upload early to avoid lift lines at the base station.
Splitz grill does a good burger (in whistler village).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One more thing..... If you need a day off, make it a weekend day. Crowds are much bigger on sat/sun
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the advice, thats great!

We are actually in Whistler tuesday to tuesday and plan to ski 5 days
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mac22,

WB is our favourite resort and always try and make it out there every 2 or 3 years.

Not sure what the snow conditions are at the moment but I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Given that you're out there on honeymoon (congratulations!) I'd recommend Araxi and / or the Rimrock Grill for a special meal (Araxi is in the village, the Rimrock near Creekside).

Whistler

- Dave Murray Downhill
- The Saddle
- Peak To Creek
- Franzs
- Seppos
- Bear Paw
- GS

If fresh snow then don't miss Rhapsody Bowl off the Symphony Chair. As @cwpski says the Harmony Express and the Symphony Express chairs give you access to some great in-bound options where you can experience gladed skiing in a relatively safe environment.

Blackcomb

Anything around the Crystal zone (including waffles / lunch at the Crystal Hut) is a must - I bloody love that area. Some cracking runs : Rock n Roll, Twist n Shout and Arthur's Choice to name but a few.

Other runs :

- Jersey Cream
- Xhiggy's Meadow (and other 7th Heaven chair options)
- Honeycomb

You'll have a blast.

PS - if you love sushi then Sushi Village is another good night out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can also endorse Harmony and Fraggle Rock. I would have to agree that if I had to skiing one area for the rest of my life, it would be Harmony.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franga wrote:
@Mac22,

WB is our favourite resort and always try and make it out there every 2 or 3 years.

WB is our local(ish) resort and always try and make it out there every 6 or 7 days wink

Quote:

Not sure what the snow conditions are at the moment but I'm sure you'll have a great time.

see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114638

Not a lot in the forecast for this week that'll make the mid mountain much better, but cold-ish so lots of snowmaking (they have _very_ good snowmaking at Whistler). Forecast for past that is looking pretty good though, and top was already in fairly good shape.
Skied Sun bowl last week and that was pretty decent, as were the runs off Harmony Ridge, Little Whistler, Glacier bowl (on Whistler) , Crystal Ridge, and Seventh Heaven. Wouldn't really say Arthurs Choice was ready yet though - skiable if you really wanted to do it to yourself, but not great.

In the week no need to worry about lift lines affecting your choice of run, though 19th is I believe Martin Luther King Day Holiday so might be a few extra visitors from the US, especially with the strong US$ (Probably not really all that noticeable unless there is a snow year disaster in the US, and I think it is ok there, Presidents Day holiday in February seems much busier) - weekend might be a bit different, especially if it snows a lot! snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you like long swooping runs then Ptarmigan on Whistler and Ridgerunner (or Rock n Roll) on Blackcomb gets my vote
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone recall an off piste run I think it was called 'In the spirit'? Essentially just through a tightly packed section of trees-good for working on those short turns!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blackcomb Glacier: a short hike from the top of the T-bar. Ungroomed, but patrolled and avalanche controlled, and you can make it as hard or as easy as you like, depending on where you enter.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bene, Yeah, starts just behind the bottom of the old Crystal Chair. Fun times had there in fresh snow Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great choice MAC22, we are also heading out for our honeymoon on the 18th Jan Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cockalorum (or something like that).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glad someone asked about whistler. Off there on the 17th January Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave Murray Downhill on Whistler, Honeycomb and Ross Gold on Blackcomb. If you get a 'visibility unlimited' day then the Seventh Heaven area on Blackcomb is stunning. Not sure if they still offer Fresh Tracks (early buffet breakfast on the mountain and a head start on the slopes) . If they do I'd recommend it at least once.
ski holidays
Hubby and I did our honeymoon there 2 years ago! Best week of my life! (only seconded by the week 2 of the honeymoon!) - will have to double check the piste map tomorrow for recommendations. All I'll say for now is that it's bl0Ody brilliant and yes they still do fresh tracks. so worth doing Smile
latest report
Ok so the whole are is just amazing and you will find your own faves but here are the ones I recall doing the most, and our fave places to eat:

Blackcomb side:
From the Crystal chair - Ridge runner, rock n roll, twist and shout.
Go to the crystal hut - this place quite literately has the best loaded waffles ever!!!
7th heaven express chair - everything under that. All are nice blues.

Whistler Side:
Grab a breakfast and coffee at Blacks at the base of Whistler mountain
Breakfast in Crepe Montagne is so worth it! look up their website for an idea but it's basically breakfast crepes. Small, cute and good service.
Harmony and Symphony Bowls are a absolute must! There are some brilliant tree runs around but can't remember where they are unfortunately! they are marked and patrolled and great in the powder.
Bear Paw black run on whistler is brilliant, as is the dave murray downhill. Lots of other blacks but I just can't remember what they were called.
The lower peak to creek blue is fun down to whistler creekside as you can take bits and pieces of the black runs off there too (Dusty's descent) - this leads you to the very best pulled pork sandwich and bloody Mary you are ever likely to taste! Ask for a Caesers. It's the nuts!
Also, take the Garbanzo express up and go to the Chic pea Hut. Their food is lush (quite wholesome and healthy - with the exception of the worlds most colossal cinnamon bun with hot fresh icing. This too is a must!

If you can book onto fresh tracks then deffo do it, it was such a great experience but try and do it on a clear day. we booked ours fairly last minute and it was so worth it as the views were spectacular.

Also, as it was our honeymoon we treated ourselves to a nice expensive meal out at a restaurant called the Rim rock cafe near creekside. Again, know there is a high emphasis on food in this post wink but this place was special! Splitz grill did incredible burgers in a rustic diner type setting. expect burgers in a basket but man were they tasty.

Can't think of to much else - there's just so much to experience and honestly, the skiing was probably the best I've ever experienced. Despite all the food recommendations, we did actually get a ton of skiing done and didn't come back the size of houses! wink Laughing
snow conditions
+1 for fresh tracks especially in the first few days you are there as you will be awake at 4-5am anyway !
Note from OP you do European Reds these translate to Blue over there though some Blacks are easier than others. Not sure if you are used to flat pistes either so it is worth noting that Whistler does not piste everywhere or even once a week on some runs so check on the website or you will hit some super bumps on anything.

Also depends where you are staying as how you get up the mountain but if on Whistler then everyone does Whisky Jack, Pig Alley & Ego Bowl down to Emerald chair as the warm up. Often a queue at Emerald so Carry on down Upper Olympic and use Garbanzo Chair instead then try looping round the other side of the Gondola track on Banana or Orange Peel, little bit of Dave Murray (see what the blacks are like!) Or avoid it on Bear Cub then pick up Tokum. (Bear Paw is a great option instead of Tokum but maybe not for first day out).

Garbanzo again *repeat*. Ptarmigan can be fun but they have it closed for races a lot and is much less fun when a full on Mogal field. Then off down Franz all the way to Dustys for an early Pulled pork sandwich. Back up Gondola and Red chair, then it depends on visibility as the tops are great but not without the views. Peak to Peak takes you over to Blackcomb where Crystal and 7th Heaven are great places with multiple choices.

They do have locals guiding every day 11:15 from the light boards which is free and well worth it. http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/events-and-activities/winter-activities/free-mountain-tours.aspx

Looping Crystal or Harmony chairs can quickly loose a day with great runs.

2nd on Weekends the days to take off if you are only skiing 5 from 7days.
ski holidays
@Bones, Yes that's the one! I did it twice once with no fresh snow and various branches and tree stumps poking out of the ground, then after a good overnight snow fall-which was somewhat different to the first!

If I remember correctly once you're on it unless you hike back up there's no easy way to bail out? I was pleasantly surprised how tight it was between the trees at times! Shocked
ski holidays
Whistler, being low, and with a maritime climate, has very changeable conditions. It has a massive vertical though so you can go high to get good snow. If conditions are good, then the tree lined skiing on Whistler Mountain is fantastic. Couliour extreme is a lot tamer than it sounds and a great run off the back of Blackcombe. If you're feeling a bit more adventurous the Harmony bowl is great fun and if you don't fancy dropping in to it then there's an easy run around the edge of it to the right. When conditions are good it is, quite rightly, regarded as the best resort in the world for variety and scope of terrain.
latest report
There are free local guides on both mountains, its great for finding out were to ski. The guides are great full of useful information.
Crystal hut waffles great idea but not over a weekend! Go there during the week you will be able to get in through the door.
latest report
Therer are no "best" runs on Whistler, there is something for everyone at whatever stage your skiing is at, the mountains are fantastic, the views amazing and the whole experience so worthwhile. Great place for a honeymoon trip hope you get good weather and have a great time.
ski holidays
Whistler - Fish eye to lower D M Downhill - massive rollers you can really air over.

Sun Bowl - access from Peak chair over some exposure but epic pow turns days after it last snowed

Blackcomb - Under the old Crystal chair (not sure what its like with the new chair but perfect angle for tree skiing
ski holidays
And just to add you can Google street (Piste) view most of Whistler Blackcomb slopes...

It's a great location.

Have fun and congratulations! Very Happy
snow report
going out mon 12 jan for 10 nights.....
also for honeymoon
getting right up for it now , after reading posts on here
cheers to all Snowheads for advice
Very Happy
snow report
44cms of snow in the last 48hrs so everywhere looking good if you like powder. More on the way.

Only trouble is they have shut the top lifts whilst they get the Avalanche risk under control
snow report
especially since that 44cm is on a fairly hard layer from last week and the temperatures are still all over the place.
problem from a user perspective (WB patrol have the in-bounds avalanche risk part) is that the mid mountain is still not getting as much therefore not so easy to retreat to the trees on big storm days or waiting for the alpine to open. Was fairly cold when the 44cm came, but getting much warmer again this week.
ski holidays
Gonna be there with family from 1/17 to 1/24. Anyone wanna meet up for skiing let me know. Apparently I'm the only one in the family that will be skiing. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also we have a spare bedroom in a 2-bed condo from 1/19 - 1/23 if anyone's interested.
snow report
Thanks for all the advice guys.

Starting day 3 now and about to head out. Ski'd blackcomb side monday and Tuesday, love the following runs:

Jersey Cream
Zig Zag
Cruiser (lower cruiser very bumpy!)

Can't get my head around them only grooming certain runs (??!) we're used to 3 Vallées where it's done every evening. Not going to lie 'negotiated' rather than ski'd one set of bumps, I've just never practiced skiing on that stuff

Whistler mountain today and we'll try some of the runs suggested.

P.S The Rendevous cafe does the best hot chocolate!!
ski holidays
There are some other snowheads out there too at the moment - daughter skied with some on Monday to show them round.

Yes grooming is a strange thing at Whistler. They will do the same runs (mostly) every night and post them on the website but they seem to think there are load of people who like skiing bumps. Not me either.

I did see a comment on here some time ago about a guy who lives over there and used to Ski with his Father each year at Whistler - but he had had enough of the extreme stuff so they go elsewhere in USA now. Having said that there is loads of runs that are groomed so just pick the right ones.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy