Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What a disapointment

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've had two great powder days and today we thought we'd get away from the crowds, though did suspect that a lot of people wound be out touring.

We did say yesterday that the strong winds might well have trashed the new snow, but we did think if we were clever we'd find where the snow would end up.

However all what we found was wind blown leg / ACL breaking slab Crying or Very sad

We toured up one of the classics in our area today, Galibier and going up we soon realised the descent was going to be variable, and as you're going up you see people coming back down traversing and then kick turning to change direction you know things are not good.

For sure up the top was still good cold snow and we got some turns in, but with us was one friend who we knew would struggle lower down so we did not go all the way.

I attacked the powder looking for where the wind might have dumped it but more often than not ended up in powder yes, but with a 10cm crust on it that you then sunk through and turns were nigh on impossible.

In the end the husband took his wife down the hard snow where the wind had stripped off the new snow as it was safer than dealing with the "powder".

As we were driving up there I was salivating at the prospect as it looked so good, but looks are so deceiving and even though I could see a lot of terrain stripped we could still see where the snow had been dumped, but what a disappointment.

Once back down in the Cafe at the Col we were talking to others who had taken different routes and all reported similar conditions.

Think it will be back in the trees tomorrow.

Should also have added it was so feckin cold today, don;t think I've ever toured wearing so much. Minus 15 on the van thermometer so a good minus 20 up where we were. luckily not so much in the way of wind.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-12-14 16:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, shame on you!
First it was No Snow.
Now its the Wrong Sort of Snow!
(Poor show indeed)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But why weren't you jump turning, Weathercam ? Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2274590&highlight=kick+turn#2274590
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like they say no such thing as shite snow only shite skiers

Did try jump turns and went straight through the crust into the heavy pow below and could hardly get the tips up to go for the next turn.

No doubt there will be the usual arm chair critics on here advising how best to do it Laughing

Anyway all good stuff, need to ski as much shite as possible rolling eyes
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's my view on it too ... skiing shite when I don't really want to will make it easier to ski shite when I absolutely need to. And it looks like the sun was shining on you anyway. Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am struggling to stop my bleeding heart.

Looks very pleasant.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jonpim, Sign at the Funi Plagne today "GRANDE FROIDE" -17c and it was!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get wider skis. If they break the crust, get wider skis, carry on in same manner until zero skill/experience is required.

Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
here are some more armchair* questions: how wide are your skis and how much rocker do they have?

There are people who say that wide skis with rocker are unnecessary... well, they make shite conditions bearable. A mid-November run in Stubai on old Kneissl Tankers was awful. The same run on DPS 112 bananas would have been bearable.

*I am really sitting in an armchair right now. But the armchair is in a St Anton hotel. Does that count?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:

It was Doug Coombs that said that....
(with out the swear words).

In a perverted way I quite enjoy skiing shite snow - just need to look upon it as a challenge and laugh.
Anyone can ski powder Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

It was Doug Coombs that said that....
(with out the swear words).

In a perverted way I quite enjoy skiing shite snow - just need to look upon it as a challenge and laugh.
Anyone can ski powder Wink

Type 2 fun Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Haggis_Trap, agree, but that said could not be arsed to go up the hill today, plus have the dreaded mountain lurgy stage 2 with the cold now on the chest with a bronchial cough that erupts with the slightest inhalation of cold air.

So a gentle walk with the dogs, and so feckin busy everywhere, a place where I'd normally expect only a handful of cars in the parking on the Col de Granon road at 1,500m was rammed with cars all over the place.

Ironically loads of tourers going up, but what they did not know and I did not want to spoil their nice walk was that they had to climb to 2,100 before they'd get to any decent snowpack and then it would be badly wind affected. This was confirmed by a few I spoke to who had come down.

Sometimes amusing to be the chilled out Brit "local" rolling eyes

Can't wait till next week when we have it all back to ourselves.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy