Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling All Boot Fitters! Custom Footbed Question?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Friend of mine hires boots every trip, mainly as he only took up skiing couple of years ago at the age of 60 and figures it not worth the investment? Wrong I know, but he's also quite fond of his pennies.

He must have fairly standard feet as he generally has no problem with hire boots but I did persuade him to get some custom footbeds made to improve the support of his feet.

Went into Ellis Brigham and they said they wouldn't advise nor even do it unless he has his own boots?

First thought is that they were just hoping to sell him a pair of boots too but wondered what those in the know on these matters think?

Wouldn't a footbed properly made made to fit his feet go in any boot that fitted?

Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The bootfitter is correct.

What normally happens is the footbed molding/fitting bit is done then they are trimmed using the original boots insoles as the template so they fit perfectly.
If the custom beds are too big then they wont fit or can scrunch up - if they are too small then they can move and will not be in the right position.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@AsterixTG, Ok thanks, but I can barely bend my custom footbeds never mind scrunch them?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hehe - scrunch is probably the wrong word, but it can compromise how they sit.

I have direct experience as I got new boots last season that are slightly longer (inside) than the previous set. My custom beds can move forward a wee bit and just changing where the arch sits is a huge difference in comfort. I need to get a new set made this year to fit properly. Silly paying the money for the customs when there's a chance they will make things worse, not better.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@robboj, what he could do is get an off the shelf product like the superfeet green and pack a pair of scissors in the luggage, remove the liner from the rental boot take out the footbed which is there and use it as a template to trim the superfeet to... this is easier than trying to interface a custom product...just remember to take them out when you leave
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy