Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pregnancy and chalet food

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Mission accomplished. OH has clearance, surgeon suggested he try ice climbing some time and cheap enough deal to Val di Fassa (same place as last year) still available. Could have got it cheaper by waiting but 1400 including everything except lunch (hire/passes*2) was acceptable and nice to have a final opportunity to travel and not have to stay closish to childcare. Will probably avoid the Marmolada this year - altitude didn't feel great last time as we (well he - I am inept) spent forever taking photos so might be a bad idea so will have to explore more of the rest of the area - barely touched much of Selva so that's high on the list.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Didn't think this through. Can't take antiinflammatories so usually survive ski trips with medicinal beer and massages with deep beast, neither of which are allowed.

Food's the least of my worries - this could be rather sore!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Randomsabreur, why do you get so much pain?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfit, tense, get in back seat, unsupple and a complete wuss. Usually try to grip with toes which throws everything else out. Could also do with being about 1.5 stone lighter but that's waiting for now.

It's pure muscle tension/stiffness but tends to build unless I'm very conscious of hips forward, relax toes... which I forget when distracted.

Short answer, I'm a muppet with a low pain threshold!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Randomsabreur, why not get a couple of private lessons booked up? I found that made a massive improvement to the way I was skiing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

why not get a couple of private lessons booked up?

Very good idea. And even if you only have a few weeks, the right kind of stretches and a few exercises such as squats, can make a big difference. As for the weight; be careful. It doesn't get easier to lose afterwards.

Also don't write off doing some walking or snowshoeing - I find I take in more of the scenery that way than on skis. It doesn't all have to be about the skiing. Take it easy.

It's a shame that all alcohol seems to be banned in pregnancy these days; wasn't in my day, though obviously too much is always a Bad Thing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lessons unlikely to help, I know what I'm supposed to do and ski well when I don't over think things. Tend to overthink and while contemplating my options get tense and in the back seat. Best solution is a bit of pressure - lift closing, thunder storm chasing me and I ski so much better and don't hurt nearly as much!

Other issue is distinctly rubbish ankle flexion (have heel lifts) which makes it horribly easy to get in the back seat! Better than they were though.

Although I'm unfit I'm pretty aware of my balance - regular riding and ex-international at fencing so can spot and correct.

My other issue is being a control freak so often put in too many turns to lose speed which is harder work and can also involve more skating/poling than it should. Probably again better when under pressure than when just bimbling.

Add a slight dislike of heights and the short answer is the same - muppet.

Will just have to motivate myself with pain prevention and get my nice positively phrased reminder/trigger phrases sorted.

Just will miss the post ski beer o'clock
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

why not get a couple of private lessons booked up?

Very good idea. And even if you only have a few weeks, the right kind of stretches and a few exercises such as squats, can make a big difference. As for the weight; be careful. It doesn't get easier to lose afterwards.

Also don't write off doing some walking or snowshoeing - I find I take in more of the scenery that way than on skis. It doesn't all have to be about the skiing. Take it easy.

It's a shame that all alcohol seems to be banned in pregnancy these days; wasn't in my day, though obviously too much is always a Bad Thing.

Leaving tonight! Haven't been inactive, possibly marginally fitter than last year. Fortunately my major craving has been fruit and portion control is easier than normal as space limited. Certainly haven't gained weight thus far, so will try to be sensible and gain no more than the docs think necessary - don't want stroppy midwives and even more blood tests!

Just last minute shopping reminded me that magic muscle rub was so helpful last year but not allowed this!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Randomsabreur, why not just stick to very easy runs that dont demand much of you?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Randomsabreur, I like long hot baths after skiing Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

why not just stick to very easy runs that dont demand much of you?

that's what I am planning to do in Arabba - my knee is not up to strenuous stuff.

How pregnant are you, @Randomsabreur?

In my early pregnancies I craved carbohydrates - buns, buns and more buns. If you crave fruit that's rather good!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
12 weeks approx. Going to take it day by day but part of the fun is travelling around the place. Got away without morning sickness thus far. If I am skiing properly will visit the odd black and the alleged red down from Portavescovo, but will try not to be doing so in pursuit of the last lift.

General aim is exploring more locally than hidden valley and Marmolada trips last year. Selva and Arabba rather than Alta Badia as we got stuck in a loop on the flat blues poling/ sidestepping up the ups and unable to carry enough speed in the softish new snow (great for turns but when an instructor in uniform joins in the sidestepping you know it's not just you and your rental skis' rubbish wax job!)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hope you have a great trip, @Randomsabreur, with not too much poling and side-stepping. Maybe some nice massages, to make up for the lack of ibuprofen?

Take it easy though. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back and organised, had a great time. As it turned out made a massive step change in my skiing ability and I got forward and less achy and faffy than ever - result! Played with a few black runs (Sasslong, Fodoma, those at Alba, Pozza and Vigo, Danteciepes and a couple of others). OH tested Vallon and Burz and suggested better not...

Covered around 230km over the week, would have been more but for the rubbish vis and high winds with falling snow on the last 2 days!

All in all a good final fling for a while 😁
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Randomsabreur, that's good to hear. All the best for the rest of the adventure. snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy