Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Group lessons or private for my family?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am pondering this question and thought I would ask some more experienced snowheads for advice.
We are going to italy in Feb (yes half term!) and it will be my 3 kids third week on skis. They are pre- to mid- teenage. I have done more weeks than them but am less brave. Last year I booked ESF lessons for them for the week. The oldest (14) was in an adult group and loved it- the younger 2 were in a huge (20+) group of tiny french kids and hated it. I didnt have lessons. We all enjoyed skiing together in the afternoons the most.
So I am thinking this year for the same money as 3 hours group lessons each we could get 2 hours private for the 4 of us. Does anyone have experience of booking private lessons for a mixed group? Would an instructor agree to take us as a group and then give us individual bits of attention? Does this seem a good idea or should I book them in ski school and hope they have a better experience? - it would be great if they ended up in a fun group of kids their own age but its a risk.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@nem, This could work very well for you, and we have done the same ourselves with our three teenage boys. However, there are a few points to consider.

1. Some people regard ski school as convenient childcare that allows them to ski the whole mountain without being slowed down by their children. If you fall into that camp, private lessons won't work for you.

2. Some instructors will not teach groups that contain children. Make sure that you explain to the ski school exactly what you're doing so that they can find someone appropriate.

3. If members of your group have significant differences in ability, the instructor will have difficulty catering to all your needs.

Provided these potential issues aren't a problem for you, I strongly recommend the whole-family approach to skiing. You and your children will progress faster, will have more time to free ski, will waste less time in group lessons and, perhaps most important, you'll have more time together as a family.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you- that sounds encouraging- I dont know why but I havent really heard of family group skiing as an option. I guess we need to talk to the ski school and see if its something they could do.
I'm not bothered about the childcare aspect as now they are teens every bit of holiday is precious- I have many years ahead of me without them! (also 2 of them are faster than me!)
The difference in ability might be an issue as one of the kids is very nervous but I think we might try.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nem, I've done what you suggest 3 times for a day in North America and once for an entire week with an off-piste guide in France. Each time it went extremely well, and the fact that we've done the same thing repeatedly speaks for itself. Several times we've used part of the day for one member of the family to receive particular instruction in an area of weakness, and the rest of us joined in a couple of hours later. We've also broken up as a group several times - if one of the lads has been too tired or too nervous for the exercise in question, my wife or I have taken them off to do some independent skiing while the instructor continues with the rest of the group.

A good instructor will listen to what you want to learn and pitch the day appropriately.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Italy ski schools tend to be very child friendly, esp compared to the esf. So i'd definitely go group personally, mixed lessons have never played out well for us (bit dull\restricted - didn't feel like good value)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@nem, we have done the family approach and had private lessons several times in many different resorts in France and it has always worked fine. We are in resort now and some of our group are having private lessons today.
One thing to note is that ski schools will often want you to have privates lessons over lunch, 12 to 2, when the ski teachers aren't being used. We have found this to work very well, as we stop for a drink/snack around 11ish, then have a late lunch around 2, when the cafés are quieter and the slopes more busy.
I am sure it will work fine, and as you say time together is precious.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nem, an excellent idea. You will have a lot of fun, especially when the kids find out you can't/won't do things they can/will snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It worked for us last year in Madonna Di Campiglio. Slightly different scenario for us as it was my wife and childrens first ski trip so similar ability or lack thereof. I found the ski school/instructor to be very flexible. I didn't want lessons as I have been a number of times but it was great to see the 3 of them progress so quickly and have fun together.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We booked a family freestyle snowboard lesson with th ESF in Chatel 2 adults plus 3 boys 12,13,14 [ kids wanted to learn 360's and stuff ]. We could have had upto 8 ( in the class - not kids!). It was €150 for 3 hours, which is actually only €10 pp.ph. Everybody had differing levels of enegry / flexibility / courage / experience / technique / determination /grace / style , where some people lacked on one front, they made up for on another. It was great experience, and we are waiting for the new year crowd to go home, and the next snowfall wherupon we will get another one. It is really good to find ski schools who do this type of thing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
One thing which might be worth considering is the different learning styles of the family members n the group. Typically kids will improve best by doing, playing, charging, but often adults need more verbal explanation, focused practice perhaps with drills, and maybe slower speed development. In a mixed age group there is often a compromise in term of matching teaching/learning styles across different types of learner.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy