Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best grip for ice...snow boots

Poster: A snowHead
Ice is ice but I'm looking to invest in some new snow boots to give me a fighting chance on icy paths - have a newly plated and screwed ankle to add to the equation. There are a couple of new 'soles' on the market now (my current Vibrams are useless) ie TNF Ice Grip and Merrell Grip plus others new to me.
I have crampon thingys to put on where suitable.

Any thoughts? Once I choose the grip I will look at the fashion aspect Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nails ...? Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thinking more rubber....... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at something called Yak Traxs or something similar. Aldoi sell a cheap copy over here (5 Euro a pot). They fit over most shoes and make it safe to walk on ice and generally slippery surfaces. You pays your money and takes your pick so to speak!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=yaxtrax&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @Samerberg Sue - I have something like that (Lidl version) that fit over my walking boots. Just wondering if any of the snow boots grips advertised are actually any good as I want to get some new warm boots. Have some ancient Timberlands which have finally died.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@igLou, hello I have some la Crosse snow boots that are amazing in snow and ice very grippy but hard to find for sale,French Canadian make.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/performance/winter/boots/moderate/outpost-ii-11-black.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@meandrew, thank you. Will have a look about for them. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
not most fashionable items but they have a felt removable liner and they are unbeliveably warm and comfy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.bergzeit.co.uk/winter-boots/
look to have a good selection snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

(my current Vibrams are useless)

Thought it was just me, my Vibrams are ok in fresh snow but bl@@dy useless on anything packed.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The rubber is to hard on my boots you would wear them out if you wore them in anything other than snow and ice as the soles rubber is so soft .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@igLou, SWMBO swears by her Sorels - great grip in ice and snow. Originally developed in Canada for such conditions. Not the cheapest boot but removal liner too. She also broke her ankle 3 years ago. Are you planning on having the metalwork out if you can, eventually ?
Don't wear them if theres no snow or ice though as will wear the sole down quickly. Normal Vibrams are useless on anything remotely like ice, you need large wide spaced lugs not close ones. Vibram soles are mainly designed for rocks etc.

Some sites selling outdoor boots tend to list what conditions they are designed for.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@igLou,

Forget yaktrax ( exception being the XTR model ) or anything else other than the Hillsound or Kahtoola or the copies of these they are a silicone rubber band that you pull over your boots/shoes from toe to heel and have chains underneath with micro spikes ( anything from about 6 to about 14 spikes ).

http://www.gaynors.co.uk/brands/hillsound/dp-76539/sk-171656/trail-crampon?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=productsearch&gclid=CPTaoc_A58ICFWSWtAodaU8AtQ

http://www.joe-brown.com/5182/products/kahtoola-microspikes.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CNqTzbfA58ICFU6WtAodG3QA8w

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Snowline-Large-Size-Grip-Chain-Crampon-Micro-Spikes-Snow-Ice-/151507871889?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Climbing_Mountaineering&hash=item234692a891
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all. More research today, well I'm not going anywhere Toofy Grin

@Bones, metalwork will come out only if it causes trouble. We are going to the Alps in Feb, having cancelled our trip this week. I am pretty sure I won't be skiing then but we are bringing our dog for the first time so hoping to be able to walk well. Have to say that (even with my skiing) I would be less terrified on skis Very Happy
ski holidays
Dr Martens work pretty well.
snow conditions
@igLou, my Sorel boots are brilliant in snow and ice, and I have some RUD shoe chains. I have these boots http://www.sorel.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Sorel_US-Site/en_US/Product-Variation?pid=NL1540&dwvar_NL1540_variationColor=011 (but not with red laces).
snow report
@Hells Bells, I got those in canada last season...also not with red laces .. very good
snow report
@holidayloverxx, @Hells Bells, I gave my Sorels away as the firm bit above the sole always irritated my Achilles tendon - now I buy whatever is cheapest and go carefully around hard pack if I don't remember my spikey things (as I did this trip - DUH!). They are a horrendous price as well this side of the Pond. A friend got me mine from the Canadian PX when they had a base in Lahr.
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, there are some spiky things in my cupboard if you want, probs on the hanging shelves somewhere
snow report
@igLou, we both have Sorels, mine bought from Vermont shop in Les Gets and his from a place over here in the States a couple of years ago and have found them really good in the snow and ice. I am a pretty timid walker when its icy, and particularly our driveway which has quite a slope to it and follow the instruction of our friend Crystl in Niederau who decreed 'little steps' - might look a bit odd but it works.
Quote:

bringing our dog for the first time

You are brave - wasn't it walking with the dog that caused your slippage?
snow conditions
Thanks all Very Happy Sorels, Salomon, and Merrell in top 3. And different soles within each brand! I am possibly over thinking this Laughing

@Pamski, no, he was with me on the lead going down wet grassy slope but he wasn't pulling. In fact he was quite attentive until I got up - I seem to remember a ginger face coming towards mine a couple of times Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Sorels always come highly recommended but I went for the North Face Chilkat II boots which are super comfy and warm plus are said to have a special winter grip sole. Had them for a couple of years now with no issues plus I think they look pretty good too... I prefer the aesthetic to Sorels.
latest report
@holidayloverxx, thanks but I have to pop home on Tuesday and will pick mine up then. A half day in the torture chamber awaits in Rosenheim :-O
ski holidays
Sorting through a cupboard yesterday for some boots to use in our recent snowfall, I came across a pair of boots I bought from Aldi a couple of years ago. I remember that they were sold as winter boots so
tried them today on a walk. Up ice crusted pavements, steep slopes etc and they were absolutely great. Warm and plush. The label inside says made for Aldi by the Grohmann Shoe Company in Salzburg.

I seem to think they were about £15 or so.

Very Impressed.
ski holidays
On really icy surfaces the best bet is some of those crampons which are widely sold, including on Amazon.
snow conditions
I have some tnf boots that are great, good grip and waterproof.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy