Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow tyres? Me? Surely not!

Poster: A snowHead
Wheels and tyres were fitted this morning. As I was fitting them there was a snow storm blowing through so I was feeling quite smug. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Didn't come to much so no real opportunity to try them out.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skribble wrote:

As for cost I bought spare wheels for £400 and second hand tyres with 6mm tread for £150 for four. All off ebay. I keep them on for four or five months and that's cheaper than the summer road tyres which are bigger. Interestingly the cars economy improves with winter tyres on it even though the rolling radius is slightly less.

As for insurance I don't inform my insurer. There's so much evidence that using winter tyres is a very good idea that I'm confident they would not have a case in court if they described it as an uninsured modification. Common sense has to prevail. Why would I make the family car more dangerous!!!

Couple of questions to which I don't know the answer.

Is your apparent improvement in fuel economy an artefact of the reduced radius so the recorded mileage is greater than the actual mileage?

Does an alteration have to be more dangerous to alter the insurance premium? Go faster stripes do not make a car more dangerous but they may be the marker of someone who tends to drive faster even if the individual fitting them does not drive quickly.

Likewise snow tyres may be the marker of someone who drives more frequently on icy roads where others may crash into them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gaza wrote:
Wheels and tyres were fitted this morning. As I was fitting them there was a snow storm blowing through so I was feeling quite smug. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Didn't come to much so no real opportunity to try them out.

A light accumulation stuck out our way. Hankook 4 Seasons (with snowflake) on my wife's polo doing their thing on the way home this afternoon:

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@T Bar, "Improved" economy is exactly as described, smaller rolling radius=more miles logged than actually covered, hence perceived increase in economy........
And you should always tell the insurers of any modification, the feckers'll do anything to wriggle out of a claim!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KenX wrote:
And you should always tell the insurers of any modification, the feckers'll do anything to wriggle out of a claim!

I told my insurer the wheels would be changed to a second set with winter tyres fitted each winter. They noted the change of wheels on the policy, at no charge, but weren't interested in the type of tyres so long as they were correctly spec'd for the car.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Exactly this, so long as you tell them you're covered and normally at no extra charge for something like this!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Indeed, and if they get awkward about it try another insurance company!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
balernoStu wrote:
Gaza wrote:

A light accumulation stuck out our way. Hankook 4 Seasons (with snowflake) on my wife's polo doing their thing on the way home this afternoon:

Just be thankful you weren't in the Ikea car park when that was coming down. Laughing Laughing We were in my Audi as I'd just picked it up from the garage after a service and it has very summer tyres. Even with Quattro transmission it slithered a bit. It took us about 15 minutes to get out as in typical British tradition the roads around it ground to a halt and we couldn't get out!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gaza wrote:
balernoStu wrote:
Gaza wrote:

Just be thankful you weren't in the Ikea car park when that was coming down. Laughing Laughing We were in my Audi as I'd just picked it up from the garage after a service and it has very summer tyres. Even with Quattro transmission it slithered a bit. It took us about 15 minutes to get out as in typical British tradition the roads around it ground to a halt and we couldn't get out!

Today I took my wife's car out to see the difference with winter tyres. I headed out the village and up the road over the Lammermuir Hills. I wasn't expecting any snow but I knew the road was likely to be icy. I wasn't disappointed. At one part as you come down a hill and and immediately climb and turn sharply right, rain and snow melt had frozen and the road was a mix of ice and slush. I was probably going a wee bit too fast but the car never flinched. It made me realise that I had to get winters for my own car as I suspect that if I'd been in it I'd have ended up in the adjacent field.

The problem with my car is the smallest diameter rim that the car will accept is 18" so that makes even aftermarket combos expensive. Doing a bit of research I found that a lot of members of the VW-Audi forum have bought secondhand combos from Germany. The recommendation was to look on ebay.de where there is a lot of choice but sorting through lot of junk was tiresome. One seller on ebay, Reifenprofi, have their own website and are also recommended on the forum.

A quick look there revealed the range of prices for 18" varied from €699 to €1099. The €699 set were slightly trashed with low tread so they were ruled out quickly. The best value appeared to be in the €949 to €999 range. The €1099 sets were "ohne Macken" (unmarked) but I eventually settled on a set at €999 with a claimed tread depth of 8mm. These were described as "Neuwertig (1x Felge leicht beschädigt)" - (Mint 1x rim slightly damaged) although on the set I've bought that "slight damage" looks to be about 3mm long. The tyres still have the coloured stripes at the bottom of the tread so look to be good.

The strength of the pound against the Euro has helped and even using PayPal I got €1.26 to £1. With delivery the total cost was £910.

I've consoled myself with the thought that when the time comes to sell the car I'll probably get a good price for the rims. At least that is what I am telling myself and, more importantly, my wife. NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

If anyone is looking for a set of wheels and rims I'd recommend having a look at www.reifenprofi.de. They cover a variety of makes but seem to focus on VW-Audi cars.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

We were in my Audi as I'd just picked it up from the garage after a service and it has very summer tyres. Even with Quattro transmission it slithered a bit. It took us about 15 minutes to get out as in typical British tradition the roads around it ground to a halt and we couldn't get out!

Laughing Laughing Laughing and now you now why the roads grind to a halt - people have completely unsuitable vehicles/tyres which can't even get out of a flat car park without slithering and are completely stuffed by the slightest gradient.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I contacted my insurers they said that the only thing they would be interested in was if someone changed from a standard steel wheel to a more expensive alloy set as the value of the vehicle would go up. Sticking winter tyres and/or steel rims on is not something that I would need to tell them. Nice to see there are some firms possessing common sense.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They changed the law on some roads in BC this year, and they changed the signage too. The upshot of that seems to be that hire cars with snow tires (sic) are much easier to get this year... for the first time in 30 seasons I actually managed to find a hire car with them. They have a few interesting icons on them which match the ones on the road signs.

Anyway, Canada's easy to drive in if you're from the Dales, but snow tyres really are cheating. With those, as far as I can tell you can drive on anything, even in a crappy 2wd. It changes driving completely from being totally involving to being just like normal driving.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the subject of insurance, I'm with Tesco. Told them I would be putting on a new set of steel (non-alloys) wheels with snow tyres and they said there'd be no premium change. My advice would be to inform them, at least then they know....as I'm sure they'll try and wriggle out of anything.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also look for wheel+tyre packages at:
http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/tyre-pack/

They are in Germany despite the .co.uk but delivery seems reliable and quick.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very glad we had ours for the horrendous autoroute yesterday and for the mountain road this morning
ski holidays
"Even with Quattro transmission it slithered a bit."

Four wheel drive with inappropriate tyres just mean you spin all 4 wheels instead of just 2. No help at all.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
"Even with Quattro transmission it slithered a bit."

Four wheel drive with inappropriate tyres just mean you spin all 4 wheels instead of just 2. No help at all.

Partly true. It pulled up the slope no problem but it slithered slightly as I was making a 90 degree turn. However, that should not be an issue by the end of this week as I should have my winter wheels and tyres. Very Happy
ski holidays
Has anyone here tried 4 season tyres? The Goodyear vector 4, for instance, has the mountain and snowflake symbol on it. Presumably that means it is classed as a winter tyre as far as the French police are concerned, but are they any good?
snow report
Yes I have but they wouldn't be as good as a full-on snow tyre I would assume.

I had Vredestein Quatrac 3 on the old 4 x 4 Mondeo and now have Nokian WR on the X Type AWD.

I did and do now use them all year round.

Both do qualify as winter tyres as they have the mountain and snowflake symbols.

I would recommend both....

As always remembering that they work well to get along but you MUST be circumspect with braking and cornering on ice and snow.
snow conditions
The Nokians are classed as an all season tyre simply because they work quite well in summer and you get a event mileage out of them. They are a proper winter tyre though to all intents and purposes. I run mine all year round.
snow conditions
Interesting how this happened:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02h6yxt

(A clip from The Mountain)
latest report
I have a new freelander with M+S tyres. In Glasgow the other day I was able to go up hills that a load of cars were slithering at 90deg to the road (to the pavement) and not going anywhere. I stoped to help then carried on. However, on a steep downhill (Gt George Street) I was sliding at 5mph. So I parked the freelander at the house asn jumped in my Honda accord with Goodyear ultragrip 9's and it was a massive improvement. 2 wheel drive and proper tyres. No slipping, no sliding etc etc.
ski holidays
Some cars (or drivers?) do seem to be especially rubbish though. On Saturday I was trying to get up a steep little twisty section of icy\snowy lane to be met with a Volvo sliding backwards and then all over the place.

I guessed I'd be turning back (mid engined lightweight on shagged summer tires) but it was no problem. Icy for sure but with some thought not hard. Very odd.
latest report
@AndAnotherThing.., knowledge of how to drive winter conditions helps a great deal. Problem being that all the muppets have none of the essentials, actually, I think they may lack brains of any sort rolling eyes
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@AndAnotherThing.., knowledge of how to drive winter conditions helps a great deal. Problem being that all the muppets have none of the essentials, actually, I think they may lack brains of any sort rolling eyes

Yep. My top tip is take your foot off the blooming accellerator and just use the clutch to pull away then let the engine on slow revs take you there.

Helped a driver the other day get out of my street (after my advice was ignored). Well I helped her pass my parked car. Then she floored it and actually slowed and slid into the pavement..... then after 10 mins of squealling tyres she made it a further 30m.

Also, if you start to understeer, try taking a quarter turn off the lock.
snow conditions
2nd or even 3rd gear at 'catch-point' revs is greatly under-rated, i feel... or just get some effing proper tyres. ('catch-point' being the point below spinning like a loon and above stalling and sliding backwards completely out of control).

everyone should practice pulling off (ooer) in 2nd on an upslope in the dry just to get a feel for how to use the throttle/ accelerator really, really gently. you'll know if you're doing it wrong, it'll smell foul.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy