Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oz En Oisans - Alpe d'Huez - mid-March

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been here in mid March?

We have been offered a great price on a catered chalet which is "ski-to-door" in "ideal" conditions - but as the resort is only at 1,350m in mid March can we realistically expect to ski back to the door? It is connected to Alpe d'Huez by telecabins - 200m to the Alpette and Poutran telecabins.

Has anyone been here that time of year to a) confirm likely snow conditions - could we really possibly ski to within 50m-100m of the chalet? and b) tell me what facilities (restaurants, bars, shops etc) are available within Oz En Oisans itself? Is it as isolated from the main Alpe d'Huez itself as it sounds?

Also, general comments on Alpe d'Huez - is it a good enough resort that it's worth grabbing a great deal even if it means the inconvenience of commuting via telecabin up the mountain?

Thanks!

Ken
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Those runs are north facing and they usually do a good job of keeping them open late into the season. I was there for the last week of the season this year and both runs to Oz were open. They were pretty slushy at the end of the day but that's to be expected at that time of year.

The 2 lifts out of Oz take you into good places from which to access the ADH area and hardly ever have queues so I would say it's pretty convenient for skiing.

Oz is quite sleepy. If you want kicking apres ski, it isn't the place. You certainly won't be able to pop up to ADH for the evening. In a car it would be about 45mins drive, I reckon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are now all booked up for this place in Oz en Oisans - anyone got any info on this resort? What's the ski school like? Ski shops? Any good restaurants?

Thanks!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ken

Im going to be in Alpe D'Huez for week starting 11 March - the info i recieved is that the runs are usually fine at that time of year (albeit the typical early morning ice/late afternoon slush may be a problem - counterbalanced by the likelihood of better blue - sky weather which suits me fine!).

I was in alpe d'huez about 5 years ago and remember mostly good things but afraid i cant help you with the Oz area

Enjoy!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am really looking forward to it! Can hardly wait. Any more inside info on Oz? Or even general suggestions on any nice easy blue runs in Alpe d'Huez (for my wife and her friend who are timid) and some nice steep but relatively mogul free reds and blacks for the rest of us?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Alpe d'huez pretty much the same week last year -the first week it got hot. We got the impression they were trying to keep people off the glacier before Easter and spent alot of time skiing in Oz as it had the best conditions due to the North facing runs.

It actually had the best snow conditions as the rest of ADH is predonimantly south facing and we got fed up of trying to get up to the glacier. There are some very nice runs in Oz. The black run in that ski area has no moguls not too steep is a really nice run for you-only problem some ice. The red run down to Oz from ADH at the top of the poma cars is a fantastic red run as well. There are other nice blues and reds in the area. I'm sure otehrs will be better with the names of the runs. There is a good link into the main ADH ski area and I would be very surprised if you can't ski in ski out in March

I'm actually buying one of the Chalet des Neiges properties in Oz and would be very interested to learn how construction is progressing. There isn't much nice life and I think any night life centres around the hotel.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi dan100, thanks for the info.

As to the apres in Oz I have to confess we weren't thinking about it at all. We booked the whole of one of those chalets out for a group of 10 which means we have our own private party venue, but it is nice when you fall off the mountain to stumble into a bar at the bottom of the slope and have a quick beer to steady the nerves before walking home. Are there any decent bars / restaurants at all in Oz??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ken_1969, don't worry, there are at least one or two bars like that
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ken_1969, The hotel next to the chalets - L'Hors Piste has a decent bar, it is Dutch owned and the staff are super-friendly.There are a couple of other small bars & restaurants in the village. The skiing around Oz & Vaujany tends to be quite quiet particularly in the morning before the sun hits it. The Poutran piste down from ADH is fun if a little busy in the afternoon.dan100, We're buying an apartment in L'Hermine over by the Alpette lift. I guess your place is in the block still under construction? when I was over theer a few weeks ago it appeared they had just got it weatherproof and were concentrating on completing the block next door which I assume are being let this season. I'm over there again later this month to get the keys and would be happy to e-mail you some pics if you want to PM me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ken_1969

I've just got back from Christmas in ADH, skied down to Oz on a couple of occasions. The two reds referred to earlier were very, very icy, to the extent that skiers who obviusly had decent techniques were wiping out left right and centre. There didn't seem to be too much natural snow on them, what there was seemed to be snow cannon stuff. The snow cannons should make sure that you can ski back down even into March, although if your companions are timid, you want to hope for better conditions than we saw.

I didn't spend too much time in the village (I had lunch down there once) but it appeared to be very small, very quiet and very French dominated with hardly a Brit in sight. Not a problem for me, but unusual for the ADH area at Christmas. Can't comment on the nightlife as I stayed in the main resort.

For decent easy blues, try the runs around the Montfrais/Vaujany area and there is a wealth of easy skiing in ADH just as you get out of the gondola from Oz (Portrans, I think). The blue and the black back to Oz wasn't open due to lack of snow, so don't know what they are like.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The run down to Oz is usually icy, but if you need to get down and don't fancy slithering all the way you can get the bubble instead. Runs around Vaujany have the best snow in resort/keep conditions well later in the season so that side of the system is a good choice for skiing in March. Oz is little and quiet, lots of French/Dutch/families, couple of nice restaurants. Alpe d'Huez is spiffing resort, easily beats Courchevel 1850 which is where I am forced to languish this season.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am off to Oz next week. We booked the Chalet Alpette. Anyone stayed here? Any advice? Feedback?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Jonpaul - that's exactly where we're going in March! Great - please come back and tell us how it all goes!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will do. I can't wait. We got a really good deal at £385, 4 star catered chalet and 2 lift pass for the price of one throughout the group!!!! Nice.
Anyone got any Alpette comments then?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can't help with information I'm afraid but would be very interested to hear your resort report on your return as 16 of us are heading to Oz on 4th March - staying at Les Clos du Pre. Particularly interested as to whether Oz/Vaujany pass will provide enough for beginners/1 weekers, best rental shop (if you rent of course!) tuition recommendations ......or otherwise! The whole blow by blow account really!! Have fun!
latest report
dan100,
Just bought one myself(2 beds and a cabine) in the Pic Blanc chalet....just come back from there...fantastic...ski in/out. Where's yours ?
latest report
Mine is in new one being built Chalet E. Told my other half its a pension investment!!!
ski holidays
Ken when I work out to PM will send you one. thanks for the offer
ski holidays
I'm off there tomorrow. Will let you know exactly what the score is Happy
latest report
jonpaul, 40cm of fresh snow in the village is the current score wink
gutted i'm going next weekend rather than this Mad
snow conditions
Arno, Where'd you get that info? I'm off up the hill in a tranny van full of gear next Thursday - might sneak in a bit of skiing too!
snow report
Nick Dawes, a local mountain guide.

You'll be in ADH? I'm actually staying in a gite near Villard Reculas with a small group from 27-30th. Planning on lots of off-piste skiing so let me know if you fancy joining us.
ski holidays
Arno, I'll be in Oz sorting out our apartment so just over the hill. Thanks for the invite but furniture assembly will be first job then sorting out various other stuff. Hope to get a bit of skiing in at some point but no idea when!
snow report
Just got back from Chalet Alpette. Best chalet I have stayed in. Nice and new and cosy. The kitchen is in the same room as the living area which is slightly strange. There is a sauna which is free and even a lift so no treking up stairs in slippery boots when ya shagged in. Oz is lovely. I preferred it to ADH as its newer, charming and serves the purpose well. I am 27 and didn't want a resort full of chavs. Thats what I got. A couple of nice bars that were fine for us. Also, when they say ski in/out. They mean it!!!! The alpette was perfect for our needs. It can be noisy if you other guests are still awake and you are having an early night. Thats cos the floors are all rock tiles or whatever. PS: The best room (master) is room 2. That was ours Happy
snow conditions
Hey jonpaul, thanks for that sounds like we've picked winner.

A quick question for you though - can you confirm whether the rooms on the first floor - rooms 2 and 3 - have baths or showers or what? I've seen this chalet advertised on three or four different sites, and each says something different. Can you give us the real skinny please?

Cheers,

Ken
ski holidays
Just got back form Oz at the weekend. Great week away - fresh snow and sunshine most of the week. Oz is pretty low at only 1,400m and did have some rain and slushy conditions back into resort a few days, but it was still good enough to ski to and from our door every single day which was great.

Is it just me, or do tour operators deliberately mislead about facilities in chalets? The online docs said four WC's between 5 rooms, but in fact there were only 3. Not a huge deal but a bit of a dissappointment on arrival. That being said, the fact that there is a nice sauna onsite was a definite bonus.

I would highly reccommend Oz generally, and the Chalet Des Neiges complex specifically, to anyone looking for ski-to-door and convenient access to a huge ski domain. Oz is a pedestrian only area, and the shop owners are all extremely friendly and accommodating. Special thanks to Sport 2000 who bent over backwards for our group to give them excellent equipment and service.

We travelled with Skiworld (http://www.skiworld.ltd.uk/) who were great. Very well organised, very helpful. They own two apartments in Chalet des Neiges - a total of 20 people maximum, and with two chalet hosts and a resort manager (Ben) that meant a lot of individual attention. Zoe our hostess cooked up some great meals, and she and Ben were very knowledgeable not only about Oz but the whole Alpe h'Huez region. They all went way above and beyond the call of duty.

Also thanks to Franck and Yves at ESF who were great instructors - again very friendly and helpful. There are a number of private ski schools in Oz charging around 20€ per hour per person for private lessons - ESF were half that price for private lessons and were excellent. I got the feeling that these guys enjoy being in a smaller village so they can get to know the people they teach.

Definitely the best village I've found to date and we will definitely go back there again at some point. There are far too many runs to cover in a week! snowHead

No complaints at all about Skiworld, the resort or the chalet. The only complaint we did have was about the airline - Monarch - who are con merchants! We had one very tall guy with us - 6'5" - and flying out from the UK we were told that he could have an extra leg room seat (fire exit seat) for £15. There was no way he could physically sit in a normal seat and despite there being a seat free he could not have it without paying. Outrageous! We stuck to our guns and refused to pay and in the end they capitulated and gave him the leg room free of charge. However, on the return flight we asked again about leg room and the friendly French staff said "no problem". Obviously the staff at the English side are ripping us off and we will be writing to Monarch about this. Suggest anyone who had similar problems also writes to them to complain.
ski holidays
dan100, dan100,

Did you go ahead with your purchase in the end? Would be very interested to know how it went and how you've found dealing with Chalet Des Neiges (any late/delayed payments from them, trouble getting your rental income? Any unreasonable demands? Any maintenance problems/build quality issues? etc.

Am considering buying one of the apartments on resale basis.

Am a bit nervous about the lease coming up for renewal in 2014 though - i.e. what if they don;t renew or try to charge extra costs as a condition of renewal etc. - have they made any noises in this regard so far?

Do you know how well these have been renting out and what the occupancy rate has been on average?

Any info/advice gratefully received.

Many thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy