Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zurich station - lunch?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to St Anton in a couple of weeks, and flying into Zurich. I've booked a train at 14:40 from the main station in Zurich, but we actually get in at 1140, so I'm thinking we'll get an earlier train in from the airport and have a couple of hours to grab some lunch. The Swiss rail website suggests there's lots of options to eat at the station, but does anyone have anywhere either at the station or nearby they'd suggest that's good to pass a couple of hours eating and drinking?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It really depends what you're looking for. Zürich is a great city and can cater to any taste/budget. I haven't been for a couple of years but the vegetation place Hiltl sticks in my mind - I'm a certified carnivor so it must be pretty good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big metropolitan city, lots of options. Any particular taste?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just thinking close to the station and good for a bunch of blokes - so carb-heavy, beery would do. Initial indications suggest Brasserie Federal might be as good as anywhere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@andy from embsay, yep, would work. There is another restaurant in the station, but federal will satisfy on beer, bratwurst and rösti fronts Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One................ Never bank on your flight arrival being precisely on time. You might v. well arrive on time, you might not. You could be late. Or early. That said, even if you are on time consider the shuffle - your time spent at Kloten after the flight arrives, getting your stuff, getting to your transfer, etc., etc. By the time you arrive at ye olde Bahnhof you've done a lot of shuffle and you'll still want/need to momentarily lodge (later unlodge) your stuff at the station in order to take your break, a lunch. In all you'll be somewhat spent and you'll realistically have no more than 90 minutes at best which goes by quite fast before boarding the Arlberg. In all candor the main restaurant (street level) at the station that has been around for decades that I first saw as a child is more than fine, classic, old school, and relaxing, too. There are others at the station, both street level and below. Taking off from the station and seeking a place nearby isn't a problem, it simply consumes valuable time in addition to your running - shuffling around.

Have a great, memorable time. That's a beautiful region (St. Anton et al.) for many things, not just skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@equinoxranch, thanks - having nearly (and on one memorable occasion actually) missed connections at Schipol despite touching down on time, I always allow substantial shuffling time - hence there being three hours between arrival and train. I was thinking of somewhere either in or imnediately adjacent to the station, so it sounds like Federal will be spot on.

Really looking forward to the whole shebang, actually - non-low-cost flight, posh train right to resort, and somewhere I've only skied a couple of late-season days in.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy from embsay, you'll enjoy it, it's an awesome place Andy. Let me know if you want any off piste hints, places to go etc. like others have said above transfer from airport to main Zurich Bahnhof can take a while, we've spent ages in the past sat about in the station, plenty of food/ drink options, no need to go far.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @Markymark29, any tips gratefully accepted. We're a group of six blokes, experience varies from competent piste skiers (and one boarder) to moderate off/near piste (Grand Montets/PdS etc). We're probably going to do a day with pistetopowder, but any other safe-ish options would be great. I carry avi gear but not sure if anyone else will (I'm working on them!).

And obviously drinking/eating options too!

I had a stupendous morning up at Rendl a couple of years ago just parping about between pistes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Outside Across the street.

2 choices.

Lowend McDonalds
High End Hotel Schweizerhof
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds like Federal's the place then @stanton!

Cheers
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@andy from embsay, I'll PM you this evening....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm flying into Zurich on the 10th Jan, then catching the 12.40 to St Anton. We usually walk through from the airport towards the train station and eat in the large eating area there (2 floors up from the station), then catch one of the multitude of trains over to HBF about 40 minutes before train time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy from embsay, one thing @andy from embsay, I know you say you personally carry avi but you must ALL have a I gear on and know how to use it.....I wouldn't recommend going anywhere off piste without it. Your pals can hire it from Jennwein, P2P will need you to have it to go with them. I'll post you some routes later on which will all be easily accessed from lifts but even with these you need to be very careful and assess conditions on the day. My suggestion would be to do a day or 2 on piste and doing a bit of tge slack near tge pistes, then a day with P2P then 2-3 on your own.....but be careful on your own guys!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29 - we're only there three skiing days, so the plan is a day on/very near piste, then a day with P2P and then see how the land lies on day 3. I'm hoping my mates catch the off-piste bug and get some of their own clobber, as me wearing a transceiver's not much good if nobody else has one (though these days I take my old Ortovox and get one of them to carry it).

I took one of them down some fun stuff in the PdS last year in safe conditions and he loved it, so he's keen to get some instruction.

@xscreamer, what time does your flight get in to Zurich? We're timetabled for 1140 so I thought it was too tight to get a train an hour later, so went for the 1440.
latest report
Had a good lunch in the main station restaurant. It seems a bit posh and stuffy but is actually quite a nice place.
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
@Markymark29 - we're only there three skiing days, so the plan is a day on/very near piste, then a day with P2P and then see how the land lies on day 3. I'm hoping my mates catch the off-piste bug and get some of their own clobber, as me wearing a transceiver's not much good if nobody else has one (though these days I take my old Ortovox and get one of them to carry it).

I took one of them down some fun stuff in the PdS last year in safe conditions and he loved it, so he's keen to get some instruction.

@xscreamer, what time does your flight get in to Zurich? We're timetabled for 1140 so I thought it was too tight to get a train an hour later, so went for the 1440.

We arrive at around 9am. Flying Easyjet from Luton at 6.30am, so we have to kill some time before the train. Lovely journey over to StA though, a couple of glasses of wine and some nibbles on the train, its very civilised. When we arrive its straight down to get the lift passes, and book the ski storage, then into Basecamp for a couple of beers, can't wait!!.
snow report
Ah, gotcha @xscreamer, I assumed we'd be a bit too tight getting the 1240, so we'll have a leisurely lunch/beer, then be into town at 5pm in time for lift passes and stuff.
ski holidays
@andy from embsay, can't see any reason for either late arrival into ZRH nor difficult luggage retrieval, etc. I'd normally budget 40 mins max from wheels down to the airport station, so you should be into central station by 12:51.

Loads of time for lunch.

Not understanding where the hassle might come from. Zurich is a very easy and well organised airport.
snow report
@under a new name - we're in at 1140 though, so we'd have exactly one hour from touchdown to the train, so it could be a touch tight. To be honest we might as well have a beer in Zurich as in St Anton - we're not going to ski that day whether we get there at 3pm or 5pm. I think the St Anton trains are every two hours at 40 minutes past the hour.
latest report
@andy from embsay, Walkd down Bahnhofstrasse and take the third turning on the left. Casa Mia is about 10 yards on your left. Three minute walk from the station. V nice Italian and prices are pretty sensible (for Zurich). Much better than staying within the station.
snow report
Thanks @foxtrotzulu - will get it on the list!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy