Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon en route to ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Left Le Grand Bornand at 9 this morning and so far we've got to Chatillon En Michaille
A40 was gridlock so we got off - only going as far as Paris today but it'll be a late one
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad I decided to leave resort yesterday! Looks a bit tricky out there today. Hope delays aren't too bad for anyone trying to start their holiday today.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Eventually got home to Bourg d"Oisans 4 hours after dropping off the in-laws at Grenoble airport!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Early drive down to albertville in heavy snow no problem. Left son to get train and got back up to Les saisies but... So much chaos. Lots of people stuck in jam going down who would have had no problem at all at 7am. This was all forecast ; why did the plonkers leave it so late? So late to start, so late to put chains on. Police insisting on chains on the road up to Beaufort but fortunately I was able to squiddgle past the disabled trucks to get up before the road closure reported earlier. Phew!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
col d’Ornon is blocked by an avalanche
N85 (Route Napoléon from Vizille to Gap) is also blocked. Police advise taking autoroute from Grenoble direction Sisteron.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Very glad I was able to drive up to Chamonix yesterday, and get my car safely tucked away in the underground car park Smile (Swiss car, so fitted with snow tyres anyway, and chains in the boot if needed)

davidof wrote:
Gendarmerie are enforcing a snow chains rule at le Fayet to access Chamonix - snow tires accepted.
Col du Montets is still open, but for how long?

Col du Montets is not something I would want to be going anywhere near in these conditions!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It'd be nice if the Gendarmes just snowploughed the ill equipped cars off the sides of the mountains & autoroutes.

Mind a policy like that here in the UK would be a godsend too
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
5 hours from Grenoble airport to just east of Chambery. Trip aborted for the night despite 4x4 and snow tyres in a hotel just off the Montmelian turn. Road to Tgnes uphill only at the moment and lots of frozen slush on the autoroute. Come and join me in the hotel Cle des Champs - dinners at 7!! Seriously if you are not yet this side of Lyon you will save yourself a lot of bother by jumping into a hotel - I suspect they will fill up pronto now its getting dark and wehave just had a thunderstorm so no signs of a let up!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Road up to La Plagne has been Chains only up and down all day, at 3.00pm we were over at 1800 and saw only a land Rover and two cars driving up very carefully, nothing was coming down. Now 4.20pm high winds are blowing the snow all over the place and its still snowing. The Montalbert chairlift is stopping now and again, I guess the high winds are making it cut out for safety.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Take a look at TomTom Live traffic to have a laugh! http://livetraffic.tomtom.com

The guests I'm waiting for have added 3 hours plus to their arrival time and I've just seen that the A8 is now closed because of an accident at or near the Irschenberg as well as further along near Chiemsee! Happy days, not! They will now call when they finally cross the border at Salzburg.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mate driving down from val thorens reports taken 6.5 hours to do 20 miles
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We're on the Eurostar just past Chambery and we can see very slow (although not stationary) traffic on the roads alongside. Getting a little concerned about the journey from BSM to Ste Foy. I guess we'll find out soon enough...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett wrote:
Mate driving down from val thorens reports taken 6.5 hours to do 20 miles

And not yet made it too Moutiers...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
Come and join me in the hotel Cle des Champs - dinners at 7!! !

wise move, there are worse places than the Cle des Champs in Montmelian. If the weather wasn't so bad it would be worth checking out the restaurants in the old town. Used to be the capital of the kingdom of the Savoie.

Snow is starting again and its getting colder.

Many people are going to be sleeping in church halls in Moutiers and Bourg St Maurice tonight according to the prefecture. Same in the Maurienne. The authorities have said that if you've not yet reached the Savoie to find a hotel.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Left Grenoble en route to Val T at 11.30 am, been stuck around Albertville for the past 3 hrs. ETA according to rep now looking like 9 pm. Fingers crossed it's earlier !
snow conditions
[quote="davidof"]
chocksaway wrote:
Come and join me in the hotel Cle des Champs - dinners at 7!! !

A very kind offer Very Happy
ski holidays
If you are heading to La Toussuire or le Corbier fergedderboutit. Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne has opened emergency accomodation for the night.
ski holidays
Road from St Michel to valloire/valmeinier closed due to coach accident
snow report
Looks like carnage out there, feel for the people stuck in jams, and really hope that there aren't any serious accidents. Today is apparently one if the busiest changeover days of the season, just to make things more challenging.

Most cars I've seen in Val D have had chains or socks on, the village seems ok but sounds like getting here is a nightmare.
snow report
Sounds dire. We have people trying to leave Val Thorens with no buses running and people trig to get up the mountain.
snow conditions
@snowfinch, sorry to hear that.

In cases like this are you bring allowed to use the loos on the coach?

9 hours is a looooong time to have your legs crossed Sad
snow conditions
Report here of someone leaving Val D and not even being in St Foy 6 hours later - ouch!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112438&start=320

As night sets in, I really hope that they break the back of the snow clearance ASAP.

Take care out there everyone.
ski holidays
Friends left Saas Fee at 11:00am to come to Geneva. 7 and a half hours later and they still aren't here. Puzzled
ski holidays
Absolute chaos. Left Reims at 3am..... Currently half and stuck between albertville and moutiers

Knackered

Probably not getting up to Ste foy apparently
snow report
@snowfinch, looking increasingly like it could be tomorrow morning - prefecture started the emergency accommodation plan for Moutiers and Bourg St Maurice 45 minutes ago.
snow report
Predicting -14C in BSM tonight. Wrap up warm!!
snow conditions
Emergency overnight centers open in the following towns: Albertville, Bourg Saint-Maurice, La Bâthie, La Léchère, Aime, Moûtiers, Macôt La Plagne, Bellentre, Chambéry, Aix-les-Bains, Saint-Jean de Maurienne, Saint-Rémy de Maurienne. Prefecture suggests you reach the nearest center if you don't have alternative accomodation.
ski holidays
@davidof, Wow!! Shocked I don't remember such numerous facilities being necessary . . . but i bet you can.
When did we last have such dramatic conditions and such road carnage?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We land into GVA tomorrow morning at 10am and are heading for La Tania - are the roads likely to have sorted themselves out a bit by then?? The stories on this thread are terrible!!!! We have a hire car with winter tires and snow chains.
snow report
Not sure if @davidof, is the prophet of doom, or good news? Depends when you are off, I suppose!!
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
@davidof, Wow!! Shocked I don't remember such numerous facilities being necessary . . . but i bet you can.
When did we last have such dramatic conditions and such road carnage?

Good question. I remember tour operator buses trapped for 24 hours in Aime in the mid 90s. I had a difficult drive to Val d'Isere on the weekend after NY in the early 2000s but nothing like this.

Talk of 50,000 cars transferring to ski resorts/home today in the Rhone Alpes.
snow report
chopkins13 wrote:
We land into GVA tomorrow morning at 10am and are heading for La Tania - are the roads likely to have sorted themselves out a bit by then?? The stories on this thread are terrible!!!! We have a hire car with winter tires and snow chains.

I would hope so, don't travel too early, don't travel too late.
snow conditions
This is truly an horrific transfer day, heavy snow combined with the highest amount of people leaving and arriving into resort?

I would not want to be a Tour Operator Rep right now, that is for sure! Shocked
ski holidays
Was contemplating driving through the night UK - Chamonix. Surely it's not quite so bad heading to Cham?
latest report
They are working hard to get the empty wallets down the mountain and replace them with full ones. Joking aside. Hats off to all the folks out working.
latest report
The Dauphiné seems to think that if you're still on the road now, you're not getting there tonight.

The forecast is for relatively light snowfall overnight, so assuming the roads are clear of traffic and the ploughts can get at them, access tomorrow should be OK. Roads in the valley here have turned to slush now, though they're beginning to freeze.
snow report
sidlittle wrote:
Was contemplating driving through the night UK - Chamonix. Surely it's not quite so bad heading to Cham?

Should be ok

http://www.chamonix.com/etat-des-routes,10,fr.html

Icy roads in central France (Dijon and Troyes) so take care in the wee hours.
ski holidays
15,000 cars stuck on Savoie roads tonight.
ski holidays
Road seems to be closed to Tignes/Val again. Tignes Facebook saying stay down the mountain. Hotel I am in is filling rapidly.
latest report
Just got to Bourg - has taken 6 hours from Chambery (and I suspect we did it quicker than many as took some diversions via minor roads from which we could see the stationary traffic on the autoroute).

Going the other way traffic from Aime down to Moutiers was stationary - including several uk tour-op buses which were presumably supposed to connect to flights today.

Hotel here has just had a call from people due here tonight who are stuck on a bus at Tignes le Lac (and presumably have been for a while) as road down is closed to say they may not get down tonight.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy