Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I need snow boots?

Poster: A snowHead
NEWB ALERT Embarassed Embarassed

I will be heading off on my first ski holiday in the new year with Uni, I've only done a couple of snowboarding lessons so I'm all new to this! I think I've gathered majority of my necessary gear so far, however do I need to buy snow boots for walking around in the evening i.e. going to clubs? I was assuming I'd get to wear my normal runners or my usual chunky going out boots that I use back home but now I'm starting to worry!

thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just use a pair of eVent KSB walking boots.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Walking boots or shoes work for me. You really want something waterproof that is strong and grippy enough to get traction on steep icy paths. If your going out boots fit the bill then great. It's surprising how often people fall and get injured just walking around the resort. I've seen several girls turning up with very unsuitable footwear, with heels.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A pair of Gore-tex walking boots does the trick for me, but if you're a fashion concious girl, a pair of Timberlands should be fine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Afterlight, Welcome to snowHeads.

The social scene in ski resorts is anything but dressy. Most people go out in jeans and a top and you do need "sensible" footwear. You will also need to wear a ski jacket if going out. Every year there are tragedies when youngsters get lost or pass out and die of hypothermia. It really can be -25 at night and you have to take care.

A pair of lightweight walking boots are what is needed. Wear them on the plane and save weight in your baggage. Same goes for ski jacket.

Apologies if I sound like your Dad!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's snowing heavily and temperatures are dropping, warm snow boots with good traction will be useful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Defo waterproof ones if poss - damp shoes - eeewwwww - if you are in the centre of the resort it wont be too bad as they are normally good at clearing walkways - but if you are just outside then it could mean walking up hill - have fun snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a pair of tall Timberland snow boots, furry lined with waterproof foot part and a good tread underfoot. You need to think warm, dry and walkable in for icy or snowy paths. Some resorts - Val d'Isere for example - don't like to salt paths and even the main streets can be tricky underfoot.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you have a pair of reasonable approach or walking boots they,ll do Ok.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Bish wrote:
@Afterlight, Welcome to snowHeads.

The social scene in ski resorts is anything but dressy. Most people go out in jeans and a top and you do need "sensible" footwear. You will also need to wear a ski jacket if going out. Every year there are tragedies when youngsters get lost or pass out and die of hypothermia. It really can be -25 at night and you have to take care.

A pair of lightweight walking boots are what is needed. Wear them on the plane and save weight in your baggage. Same goes for ski jacket.

Apologies if I sound like your Dad!

snowHead
I second all of the above, a pair of good boots are worth the money because you can use them for years, and you can wear them at home when the weather gets sloppy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Funnily enough I have a pair of seriously meaty, poo-poo kicking Timberland boots with incredibly chunky soles, and they are utterly useless on snow as the compound is too hard. Soft and rubbery is luvverly.

@Afterlight, No, you don't need snow boots, just walking type boots. Nothing special.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pretty much anything will do as long as they're waterproof and have decent grip.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Afterlight, welcome too. To echo @Chris Bish, waterproof boots with grippy soles. To echo @foxtrotzulu, ideally, you need GOOD boots, rather than special snow boots. Chunky soles work here, but not on glassy black ice in the Alps. (Err, nothing works on glassy black ice????) What makes them good is Vibram soles (forget about people arguing about running shoes, that's not relevant here), buy some walking boots with either leather or goretex uppers (note you don't need both, leather is pretty waterproof if you take care of it) and a Vibram sole. If you are really really scared of slipprery ice, then you can buy strap-on spikes to help you to grip further. Fashion boots are not the answer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Afterlight, No.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It depends on where you are going.
ski holidays
We are here at the moment and I wore my converse the day we travelled and even though there wasn't much snow in resort that day my toes were frozen, so converse and kids runners have been packed away for return journey. For me snow boots are a must in resort as you will also need a good grip sole.
snow report
@geoff10, I second the use of a Vibram sole, I have a pair of Gore-tex trail shoes with Vibram soles and reckon I could walk up walls in them!!

Outdoor brands like Berghaus or such are probably a good shout.
ski holidays
I have some Merrell ones which are also relatively stylish (for an old bird like me) Otherwise I wear my walking boots. I've been to some places where there isn't a whiff of snow on the pavements in resort and others where there's a lot of packed snow and/or ice.
snow report
Ignore the above, you need moon boots. It's (still) the only way to roll in a ski town. wink
ski holidays
@stuarth, Absolutement!! Nothing else will do. And sparkly is definitely best.

ski holidays
I have a pair of these bad ass arctic things (rated to -51°C!!) that I bought cheap in Bicester for my first season:

I acutally just use skate shoes everywhere though. You don't need anything special - anything that you'd wear on a rainy day in the UK is fine.
snow report
I have vibram soles on two pairs of footwear - trust me, vibram does not preclude comedy-tragedy slippage on ice!

If you're going to the average European ski town/village/resort, normal shoes are absolutely fine as long as they have a thick-ish sole (for insulation) and space for warm woolly socks. The sidewalks are usually well trampled and it is a rare occasion when you have to treck ankle- or knee-deep through snow. You have to worry more about ice than snow.

Just look at what the locals wear, normal shoes. The people wearing moon boots and Sorels are usually the tourists.

If you're going to Canada then all bets are off and only sheepskin-lined trout-fishing waders will do wink
ski holidays
Jonpim wrote:
@stuarth, Absolutement!! Nothing else will do. And sparkly is definitely best.

Haha, It looks like it should be one of those sleeves to keep Champagne bottles cool
snow report
I thought that was the whole point of snowboarding ....
Just wear your snowboard boots every where. .. unless they are the hard ski boot type ... but they dont do them anymore do they?
ski holidays
Soft cheap fabric boots are fine. What is more, if you avoid the ones with metal bits to hold the laces you usually get away with not having to take them off in security at the airport. These little details count!

snowHead
snow conditions
Are hunter wellies out of the question?
snow report
@DrLawn, they are still out there but you have to team them with an open to the waist fartbag, at minimum of one article of clothing with a Norwegian flag on it and a at least a level-3 or Ted Kaczynski class beard.
ski holidays
Afterlight wrote:
Nope, I've worn Hunters in the Alps on a few occasions. Very waterproof, pretty warm and the grip is usually OK. the only problem comes when you get to a restauarant. Everyone else just has dinner in their walking boots but you do feel a bit of a wally in your wellies. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hunters may be very fashionable in Chelsea and have good grip on snow. Wearing Hunters you'll need very thick socks to keep your feet warm and thy're not easy to dance in.

Don't wear trainers wear ankle length walking boots.

Don't go out in T-Shirts and shorts and don't have so much drink that you get lost or fall into a river. In the past some students have been casualties to the low temperatures, please dress sensibly for the very cold weather.
ski holidays
Quote:

A pair of Gore-tex walking boots does the trick for me, but if you're a fashion concious girl, a pair of Timberlands should be fine.

Who said it was a girl??
snow report
@shredder, "my usual chunky going out boots" is what led me to believe it is. I don't know to many guys that wear them, though I could be wrong!
snow report
@Daleybou1234, one word: hipsters
latest report
Believe it or not, I am a girl. Very Happy
ski holidays
'snowboarding lessons '

That kinda gave it away Toofy Grin
snow report
@Zero_G, We don't have them 'up north' wink
snow report
@Afterlight
Quote:

Yes, in all circumstances, as they are now Chinese mass produced cr@p. Plus, you'll get horrible chillblains. Trust me, I speak from bitter experience...... Sad
snow report
Hunter wellies aren't even remotely warm. Unless they're neoprene wellies. http://www.hunterboots.com/tall-wellingtons/original-neoprene-lined-wellington-boots/green/119

Yum. Neoprene wellies are the best!
ski holidays
Quote:

"my usual chunky going out boots" is what led me to believe it is. I don't know to many guys that wear them, though I could be wrong!

You don't wear your snowboard boots to the pub?? All year round, gotta make it look like I'm a seasonaire when I hit the slopes!! Very Happy
latest report
@shredder, Ski boots don't have the same casual effect. I'd probably get kicked out the door in my local if I wore them Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
Afterlight, I assumed you were a woman even though "chunky going out boots" could be quite masculine. I wear my work shoes on account of them having nice soft, thick soles. Steel toecaps get a bit chilli though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy