Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice re picturesque resorts suitable for intermediates

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All
We visited La Rosiere last year and had a wonderful time. Was my husband's first skiing trip abroad and conversely he doesn't want to ruin the memories by returning to the same resort. But essentially we are looking for the same things - picturesque (like resorts at altitude), good for intermediates, resorts with runs going into/close to the village and fairly snow sure (going end feb early march). All suggestions welcome!
Clare
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@clarelaing, I've yet to see an ugly mountain, and resort beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Received wisdom says that Zermatt is a beautiful old car-free Alpine village, for example; when I visited, though, I discovered little more than huge crowds and urban sprawl.

What do you see as beautiful? You might enjoy Ste Foye, just around the mountain from La Ros - a small, modern resort where the buildings are low-rise and very traditional in style. Or maybe the lakeside village of Zell am See with traditional Austrian charm? Perhaps Murren if you want a quiet, traditional car-free Swiss experience? Or go to Jackson Hole in the USA and pick up the spirit of the Wild West with elk steak and wooden sidewalks. All of these are small resorts that have definite charm.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Madonna di Campiglio might suit. Lovely scenery, great food, nice variety of pistes.
Alternatively, I was in Lech last week and that was lovely.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpbach is very pretty but could be classed as a bit limited as far as the number of runs. Just make sure you stay near one of the bus stops.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The 'Where to Ski & Snowboard' book has a resort shortlist section and under the heading 'Snow-sure, but simpatico' it lists:

Andermatt
Arabba
Argentiere
Ischgl
Lech/Zurs
Monterosa Ski
Obergurgl
Saas-Fee
Val d'Anniviers
Zermatt

Under 'Village charm', it lists:

Champery
Courmayeur
Les Gets
Lech
Megeve
Murren
Saas-Fee
Val d'Anniviers
Wengen
Zermatt

For 'Dramatic scenery':

Chamonix
Cortina
Courmayeur
Heavenly
Jungfrau resorts
Lake Louise
Megeve
Sella Ronda
Selva
St Moritz
Zermatt

I've been to La Rosiere and a number of the resorts in the above lists. Although La Ros has some redeeming points such as a panoramic location, good choice of ski-in accommodation and mostly sympathetic stone & wood-clad modern buildings, there are a lot of places with more dramatic scenery, more charm and more interesting skiing...and definitely better mountain restaurants!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wengen, mainly intermediate runs, lovely village, fantastic scenery
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wengen also has inconvenient skiing, ludicrous prices and some obnoxious people. Try Italy. The area around San Cassiano or Corvara is blue heaven and second to none for beauty, in my view.

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are going to Arabba with snowheads and this is meant to be fab for intermediates Smile
Scenery is stunning if you do some youtube searches Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dolomites.
Nuff said
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't class the dolomites as "picturesque ". The most beautiful mountain scenery in the world, more like, though too crowded to be perfect in my book.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@skiluvva, Arabba is pretty challenging for intermediates, in my view. Even the little reds as you come back from the Corvara way are steep for second-weekers. And the alleged red at the top of Portavescovo is damn nigh black in all but the flattest snow conditions. I strongly suggest the other (Corvara and Colfosco) end of the Sella Ronda is more user friendly for the OP's needs. As @pam w, says, second to none for jaw-dropping beauty. It only tends to be busy at certain times and places.

I took nervous early inters to San Cassiano and they loved it. They didn't go far, admittedly, but never left blue.

snowHead

edit to correct typo

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 27-12-14 16:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chris Bish, yes, that "red" is certainly steep! The area seemed very busy first week of February. But I amanoeuvre spoilt by being based in an area where lift queues and busy pistes don't happen outside the big school holidays.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
'Where to Ski and Snowboard' has Lech as the only Austrian resort in their top 10 'Village Charm' list?

It is pretty enough, and pretty expensive too, but there are plenty of other places in Austria that have more charm IMO and which are better for intermediates as well. Zell am See, Westendorf, Mayrhofen, Saalbach, Maria Alm, Kitzbuhel, Wagrain, most of the Ski Amade resorts, Ishgl just to start the list.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The OP was asking about "end of Feb, early March" so Christmas conditions are not significant. Only the very lowest resorts would have any problems at that time from the snow point of view. Kitzbuhel is a charming town, but easy skiing is limited to the top of the Hahnenkamm. Saalbach is quite nice, but not in the same league, and has some alarmingly steep bits. Mayrhofen likewise is not all easy cruising. It is easy to forget how terrifyingly steep quite gentle slopes seem when you are just starting out.

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pila in the Aosta valley might be worth checking out. Decent runs for all levels, snow is well looked after and Aosta town is beautiful - accessible by gondola. Slope side facilities a bit limited tho' which may be an issue........you can see Mont Blanc from the top though so great scenery available and should be accessible for intermediate.
latest report
@Chris Bish, I spotted my error re Christmas and corrected it. Very Happy

Saalbach has plenty of intermediate runs that are not steep.
snow report
Just back from a week in Saalbach - gorgeous!
snow conditions
Arosa ticks all these boxes - and even better now it links to Lenzerheide!
latest report
Maria alm was incredibly pretty, resort quite small but linked to other small areas so felt like you were travelling. Mainly blue and red runs and seems to be in a bit of a snow pocket even though fairly low.
latest report
Dear all, thank you so much for all your helpful contributions. I have a list now so will start doing some futter research and keeping my eyes peeled for the bear deals. Happy sking everyone!
latest report
Bear deals. ...bizarre phone predictive text. ..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy