Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airbags: Mammut Ride On 30l vs Ortovox Freerider 26l

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

Seems like it's time I get round to investing in an airbag. I'd have liked to get the new BD Jetforce, but it's expensive (and I can't get discount), heavy and doesn't seem to have any compression straps.

I get a generous discount at BlueTomato through work, so I'll be buying from them (annoyingly I have to do it online rather than in a shop though). Currently looking at the Ortovox Freerider 26l (a little more expensive, uses ABS's nitrogen system, supposed to be excellent at 'being a backpack') and Mammut Ride On 30l (little cheaper, compressed air should be easier to deal with [?], supposedly good for people with narrow shoulders [mine are fairly wide] apparently avi tools pocket isn't very big,). Also interested to hear other recommendations, but key features (in order, for me) are:

- how well it performs as a backpack
- has to have AT LEAST as much room left over (after airbag) as my 22l BD Covert Avalung
- weight (less of it, please)
- ideally compression straps to make riding lifts a bit more comfortable when carrying much kit
- good ski carry system, but not too fussed re. A-frame or diagonal
- ease of refilling/travelling with - I'm really not sure what the think re. nitrogen vs air?
- price
- swappable is nice

Will probably stump up for a carbon cylinder. How does the exchange thing work with ABS/Ortovox? Do you still have to pay a lot for a new carbon cylinder?

Can't think of anything else..?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've PM'd you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@spyderjon, thanks - sorry for the late reply, but you have a pm.

Still interested in others' thoughts though please!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mamut Snowpulse system. You can have different rucksacks and swap the airbag over. With a Carbon cylinder the weight is great. The rucksacks are very nice. I have the 18 and the 22, both have compression straps

The 18 fits in Probe, Shovel, spare lenses and gloves, Gillet, large radio, first aid kit and bivvy bag and some food and drink. Excellent pockets
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, have a chat with Tim Shepherd as he is selling packs with a free carbon cylinder upgrade!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy