Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When do most people buy their own boards & bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking that after my next trip I will have had around 3 weeks + about 50 hours at the snowdome.... I will then look for an intermediate board.... is this about right? or am I way out? What constitutes an intermediate board?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Intermediate".........I guess so, but it depends on how you've progressed - ask your instructor??

I bought my own gear so i then know how it's been treated, waxed, edged. I also know that the boots will fit me and not have had thousands of other pairs of feet inside them.

Boots are the most important piece of gear you should think about getting, if you've already got them then go for it. If you can, then borrow a few from the shop by the snowdome to try out different lengths and styles of boards and pick the best that way. Also depends on what you want to do with the board - freeride, park, piste, a bit of everything???
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your comments, I don't have an instructor to ask though, I was thinking that after my next two weeker I'd like to get my own board & that's why I'm wondering what constitutes an intermediate board? I don't want to get a novice board & then change it very quickly, I'd rather wait a bit, & then get a better board...
oh, I have my own boots btw... they were the first thing I bought!! I think I still have disturbing memories of putting on 'still warm' rental ice skates, or bowling shoes.... ewwwwwwwwww..... yukky!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
With 3 weeks under your belt I don't think you should have any trouble with an intermediate board. Go for something like an Option Redline or a Rome Solution and it will keep on being a great board for you as you progress.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Ponder,
That's really helpful info!
snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ponder & Honda Kitty,

I couldn't agree more on the Rome Solution. Don't waste money and time on a novice board, go straight for an intermediate board, it'll save you money in the long run. If you're looking for bindings you could do much worse than Salomon's SPX44 although cap straps are very popular at the moment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Honda Kitty
I've done one week on snow with a hire board and have bought my own gear for this year...
Have bought an intermediate board at beginner prices - because its not a 'trendy' name like Burton, etc.
If you go to the snowdome regularly go and have a talk with the guys at Ellis Brigham... they raved about this board and I decided it was worth a chance...

http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/800700||@cSnowboards@bIcon|0|user|1,0,0,1|3|
(The fact my size was pink did help!!!!)

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9552
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saxabar &mountain mad,

Thanks for that, I'm now doing big sums (with a calculator and everything!).... to see if I can kit out before the trip..... Very Happy so thanks for the links Wink

Actually, I've made arrangements to go to Xscape on Sunday morning so I can have a look in TSA too while I'm there Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Honda Kitty, I'd have to agree with ponder. I'd go for the Option Redline. It depends on how much flex etc you want though i suppose. My Sims is an intermediate board but is like an oil tanker to turn unless going at a decent speed. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you've put in 50 hours in the snowdome that's probably worth another couple of weeks experience so I'd say you're easily in intermediate standard & why not buy a board before your next trip & get the use out of it.

Demo a few from TSA to see what you like.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
why not buy a board before your next trip & get the use out of it.

Cos.... I'd be sent to the norty shed & made to sew daisies for a hundred years if I spent any more money!!

Actually, I'd love to but the real reason is that this trip is costing quite a lot because my son is still a student & I'm paying for him too,.... I might treat myself to some new boots though!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Honda Kitty
If you've got 50 hours of boarding under your belt, you should be able to feel the difference in different boards. At the end of the day, if it's you riding it, it's your feelings that count.

I bought my first board after about 3 seasons, but I bought in Canada where it was cheaper, and the shop (Rude Boys in Banff) let me try a different board each day until I found one I liked. I didn't regard myself as a particularly good snowboarder (I still dont!) but I could feel the differences between boards, in terms of how stiff they were, the ease with which they turned, and what they felt like on the 'between the piste' snow. I ended up with a burton balance 56 (terje haakonen) model, fairly boring to look at, but suited me very well.
A friend bought a Custom, and we'd switch from time to time, but we both hated riding the other's board.

At the end of the day, all a board is is a plank of wood with some metal edges and a plastic bottom....

Assuming you've ridden on 'real' snow, consider what you'll be doing with the board. are you a piste basher, a half-pipe whizz, off-piste extremist? Will you be hunting out powder? Will you be spending as many hours on board at Snowdome as you will 'en vacances'? Are you happy riding switch? doing jumps?

Nailing some answers to these might help you figure out what you want to do...

good luck,
h.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hamilton, Hiya!! thanks for the info, I will definitely check out Rude Boys as we are in Banff for our first of two weeks in Canada.

Your 2nd line is spot on - I understand exactly what you mean, this applies to riding motorbikes too. There is a 'feel' you get for certain models that just fit you & you click with.

I guess I've not really noticed yet cos I've just had very, very bashed up hire boards.

It's difficult to say what style of boarding I am going to fall in line with yet, as I am still a complete novice... I can't see myself in a half pipe!! (however I may have a mid life crisis & decide to try!!). So far I stick to pistes because of a lack of confidence. The reason I've been to the domes so much is because I don't want to waste a single minute of my hols, and I don't like doing things by halves....

Thanks
A Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Honda Kitty,
you should find the slopes of Banff a pleasant change from the Snowdome.... I wager a 'lune' that you come back a confirmed powder junky!
There's usually enough powder to enable you to play safely between the pistes and the trees, especially at Sunshine.
I'm off to Banff (again!) for Xmas, so if you want some up to date local info, let me know...
h.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hamilton, Hiya!

Yeah, you know what I'd appreciate some local info... I'm really struggling with something....

I have tried getting rental quotes direct (rather than booking with travel agent) using 'google' for hire shops. Breeze Max - awful - don't know their ar$e from their elbow, can't answer basic questions like why does your website say 20% off web bookings and your booking form say 10% off - and why does your booking form say for more info check www.breez.com when actually it is a completely different site (missed an 'e') - and the most straightforward question - do you actually have a rental shop in Banff? if yes what is the address? - your website says coming soon... is it there yet? ----- Ooooh I will have to refer you to our head office for those questions!! lol Smile
And then there is Rude Boys... very basic site, no detailed info about rentals.... no reply to an enquiry.
Then I tried snowtips - online quote request - no response as yet....

So, I have also looked at the Fairmont Hotel website which apparently has a Mall & rental shops within it.... however, Fairmont don't see fit to list the shops on their website (either that or they have hidden them really well).

I just need a decent rental shop - I'd like to know how far the Fairmont is from the town (walking distance??) so I know if we can rent from a shop in town, and also walk in if we want to in the evenings. I asked the lady at Breeze Max on email but I think the question was so complicated her system crashed! "Computer sayz nahhhhh"
snow report
All
have posted some replies here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=210934#210934
(better suited in the Resorts section)
latest report
On the subject of when to buy a board.... personally I think if you are only doing one trip per year it is worth considering going for top-end hire each time. If you spent £300 on a new board this year, then after 3 years I think you would find you would want a different one anyway, as you will have no doubt improved and found your niche. Instead you could spend £100 each year to rent a really good board and that way you get to take advantage of all the technical advances they make each year.

Plus you have to figure in £20 a year to wax and edge your own board, unless you do it yourself. Which is easy enough but not everyone's cup of tea. And that would still cost you £20 or more to buy the wax and edging tool.

Obviously if you are doing more than one trip a year, these figures might not work out so well.

Boots are definitely worth buying though. Spend the money and get a really good pair, and they'll last you a long time.
latest report
Well, it's been my lucky, lucky week - I've been given two identical boards by two different mates (Nitro Hazard - even same colour & size!) one is in near perfect condition and the other is a bit bashed but still perfectly useable... My hubbie has also been given a Ride impact in perfect condition (1 week's use).... we bought our own boots from the start so it's just bindings - even if we spend out to get decent ones are still going to be cheaper all in than renting for 2 weeks! V Happy bunny Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy