Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Course for Nervous Skiier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a long time lurker on the forum but have never posted. I'm currently in Obergurgl and have had a great week with my family. My husband is a much better skier than me so we tend to do group lessons at different levels. I've spent a week skiing with my group doing a variety of blues and reds. My biggest problem is my nerves. I'm constantly scared. Sometimes it's the steepness, sometimes it is the conditions. Today is was the light - very flat. It meant that my week of confidence building went down the drain and I ended up in tears at the end of my group lesson because I was always last and everyone was waiting on me to get down the entire time. It was a horrible way to end my week of skiing and has really knocked my confidence.

I'm wondering if there is a three day course somewhere for nervous skiers like me (maybe for women)? I've searched the forum and know that Butterfly runs a week course, but not sure I can swing that long. I'm looking for something that focuses on the mind, rather than technique. I have the ability to get down most hills - but it is my brain that is holding me back. I want to continue skiing, but days like today make me want to give up. I'm just so frustrated that I can't get past my fear when most people seem to be fine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at http://skigoddess.co.uk/. Holiday courses for ladies + free e-course to give an idea of her approach.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mia5859, this sounds really stupid but I sing when I am getting a bit nervous on skis. Helps me to get into a run and helps me try to get into a rhythm. Takes my mind off my nerves. Family find it funny too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at Masterclass in Alp d'Huez.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mia5859, The one that butterfly refers to is cautious to confident run by www.Easiski.com
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could try http://www.bobski.com who does a lot of work with nervous skiers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi mia5859.
I've also been in the same mind as you, that was until my trip last year. Every ski trip I'd be ok, then my mind just went and I lost all my confidence. It's not that I can't get down... It's so damn frustrating. I'd get so angry with myself and end up crying.

I decided enough was enough, I ride a motorbike after all, why the hell am I doing a side shuffle on the mountain?! My hubby who is also much better than me booked me a one to one lesson with a lovely young ski instructor Blush I couldn't speak more highly of him, my skiing came on loads for the rest of the trip.

Hopefully the mind tricks will have ended now, off somewhere in 3 weeks. I can ski and I can get down the mountain. Wishing you well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you live near one of the indoor or dry slopes? Regular lessons will help build muscle memory which makes it all seem more natural. Also what group level are you taking lessons with? If you can without rejoining absolute beginner, drop down one - way better to be head of the class for a few sessions....stick with it, I used to be nervous too, but at some point it just wore off and now except in flat light you'd never know. Aj xx
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for responding. I'm checking out some of the recommendations and will report back.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is quite uncanny as I am also in Obergurgl and having a shocker! Every ski holiday I go on I get worse! Technically I'm fine when I'm confident but then one little thing can set me off and I'm rigid with fear.

I'm not sure what the answer is and I'm at the stage of wondering if skiing isn't for me. I'll watch your replies with interest...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy