Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hiking to the top of ski runs

Poster: A snowHead
Hey All,

Does anyone know what the policy is of hiking to the top of a ski run and skiing back down before hiking back up? Can you be kicked off the mountain for not having a lift pass?

i.e somewhere like Cairngorm where people regularly skin up, I presume they don't have lift passes?

I ask as I have a pack which can attach skis, but not ski touring bindings, and If I was heading up for 4 days or so, it saves me £100 +

Thoughts welcome,

Cheers,

J
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Daleybou1234, you won't be kicked off for walking up

Having said that in your four days of walking up in suspect you'll get much less downhill skiing than you could by forking out on a lift pass for 1/2 a day!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's fine. Just don't skin/walk up the middle of the piste!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good stuff, but if we all did it there wouldn't be pistes, how would they be paid for?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Same way as they did when skiing was 1st done.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@thecramps, good point, but that would never happen. The majority of my friends complain if they have to walk 200m to a lift and there are far too many people who ski for relaxation. There's only a small percentage of us who would be willing to dredge up a hill with skis on back to go back down again, and as @Roger C, said, you'd probably get more runs in 1/2 a day than 4 days of hiking up / skiing down.

But hey I don't mind a challenge
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It gets frowned upon if you do it under the cover of darkness though!

Many a good evening spend dodging piste bashers on the way up/down!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Must be from Yorkshire Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@snowbandit, hahahaha I actually am. "Ow Much!!!!"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Daleybou1234, what's wrong with skiing "for relaxation"? Seems perfectly sensible and appropriate to me!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LOTA, Nothing at all, I meant there's far too many people who ski for relaxation for everyone to start hiking up mountains and it to have a negative impact on lift pass sales. I'm all for gentle meanders down the hill!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I find walking across a field carrying skis more than enough. Lol at skiing for relaxation;it's exhausting!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Daleybou1234 wrote:
Hey All,

i.e somewhere like Cairngorm where people regularly skin up, I presume they don't have lift passes?

J

Their either going touring or training for skimo's. if you just want to ski the piste then buy a ticket and get as many runs in as you can while their open, best value for your money. If you want to ski off piste far away from the madding crowd then skinning/walking is your only option.

If you want to train for skimo then you need to buy the hair-shirt sorry I mean licra kit and run everywhere with your skis on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On a couple of occasions I have seen what was probably a battalion of French soldiers going uphill for about a 1000m high hike. Rather them than me. Wonder what the percentage of uptime to downtime was?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Daleybou1234 wrote:
If I was heading up for 4 days or so, it saves me £100 +

If you're thinking of starts from the Coire Cas car park, and you're confident off piste, rather than skiing the Coire Cas groomers, you're likely to find it far more rewarding bootpacking up say the Fiacaill Ridge then skiing a line through Sneachda or maybe up to Cairn Gorm summit and out through the Ciste.
latest report
You can also get a ski mountaineering ticket, it gives you two rides up to the Ptarmigan restaurant from there it's a short skin up to Cairngorm summit. From here there's a wide choice of tours you could do but you'll need the full gambit of mountaineering skills to undertake them.
ski holidays
If you walk up the hill you have the right to slide down it, no matter who has built a lift on it. Fill your sweaty boots. Personally Ill pay the fee and get lifted to the top, then walk to the difficult reach spots and slide down screeching Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy