Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kjus vs Arcteryx shell / insulated

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket so thought about a new jacket for this season, really like the look of the Sidewinder and Formular jackets but wondered if anyone had any experience of both? I don't generally see much Kjus stuff out there but lots of Arcteryx, although also seen mixed reviews on the build quality of Arcteryx recently.

Current jacket is insulated and I get really warm in just a t-shirt, no need to layer at all, what's the general opinion, do most people have shells or is it personal preference? Formular is insulted I believe, Sidewinder is not.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I made the same switch to shell + layers and it's much more comfortable than before.
Have you looked at Norrona kit?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Defo layers plus breathable shell the way to go... IMO of course. I find with all the amazing base and mid layers that are available jacket insulation isn't really needed except in the harshest conditions. Creates great flexibility for different conditions. I've bought a Black Diamond shell this year which I have yet to test but by all accounts it's a great jacket, it's the Dawn Patrol Hybrid Shell, might be worth having a look?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
swishtony wrote:
Black Diamond Dawn Patrol Hybrid Shell,

Currently 1/2 price at our old friends "slush 'n' rubble"
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got loads of Arc' kit, including a Sidewinder SV (which has done about 20 weeks) & their build quality is superb, as is their customer service/lifetime warranty - but I only buy it at sale prices. Wouldn't put Kjus in the same bracket. Shell + layers = Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I recently took the decision to go to shell + layers (after spending so much time feeling too hot and sweaty, followed by freezing cold!) in insulated jackets. In the end I went for the Haglofs Couloir Pro Jacket from Sport Pursuit, and I have to say I'm delighted with it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting stuff, is Kjus a 'new' brand? I guess from the various threads Arc seems to have been a premium buy for ages, don't see much about Kjus but they're similar in terms of pricing. Have to admit I'm attracted to the brands primarily due to style rather than function, but most seem to think Arc has the function too.

Not seen black diamond or Norrona, I'll google about for them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@red 27, Are they still? That's the deal I got a while back!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swishtony, Yes - all the sizes still there at £130
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can only see them at £180?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@red 27, ah you're looking at the standard shell, I have the hybrid which is down to £180. When you said £130 I was confused as I know i paid around £180! Cheers.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swishtony, oh yes - silly me. That looks a nice jacket

I go either soft shell (mountain hardwear Alchemy) or waterproof Mountain equipment Changabang (sp) but if that hybrid is the best of both worlds I might take look Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a lucky person who has both thanks to a very very sharp price at slush and rubble a few years ago on Kjus and acquiring a sidewinder arcteryx jacket not long after. I use them differently. My Kjus jacket is a great fit and perfect in cold weather. My arcteryx jacket is better for more variable or warmer temperatures where need to regulate my own temperature more.

For a trip in January I would prefer to take my Kjus jacket for fit/comfort but practically as I will be skinning and limited on luggage it will be the arcteryx.

So, if I could only have 1 jacket I would choose my arcteryx shell which is great quality, no concerns that at all despite several trips with it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a new Arcteryx Sidewinder Shell in XL - worn for a three day weekend trip so literally as new.

£300 posted if if you are interested
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy