Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving up from nice airport to Risoul at easter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
driving up from nice airport to Risoul at easter - can anyone advise on good car hire and more importantly best route to take to get there
thanks
Keano
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @keano16,
I've done that drive and back a couple of times and both occasions late in the season when the roads were clear of snow all the way, so was able to cut cross country to avoid the prime long autoroute route.

Prime route is to join the A8 (E80) heading west from Nice to reach the A51 heading north towards Sisteron and the Lac de Serre-Ponçon;
but in late April with no snow at lower altitudes I'd recommend heading for Grasse (turn off Junction 42 from A8 ) then follow the D6085 to D4085 to N85 towards Castellane, Senez, Barreme, Digne, Sisteron instead - especially if you like driving, proper South-of-France scenery and plenty of sweeping bends with views over vineyards and orchards.
Final bit on either route is then along the shore of the Lac de S-P on the N94, then turn-off for Guillestre for the approach up to Risoul.

Re car hire, I've never had a bad experience with any of the main players so I always simply search for the best deal via a car hire broker site that covers them all. Do note however that it's very likely that NONE of the car hire desks/offices at Nice Airport will stock snowchains, which you'd be unlucky (depends on POV of course) to need at that time of the season anyway.
Enjoy!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avis at Nice stock snow chains, but you get a bit of a funny look when you ask Smile

That Grasse route recommended by @Snow Beard is fab, but not fun if you're pushed for time (traffic can be a PITA especially round Grasse) or you have passengers prone to car sickness.

Bear in mind if you're flying BA (maybe Norwegian too?) into and out of T1 you'll need to get the shuttle to T2 and drag your stuff to the car hire desks on the other side of the multi storey car parks. So if you're with family I'd suggest parking them up whilst you go and fetch the car and do kiss and fly at the terminal to pick them up Smile

If you do hire chains, when you return the car it's a multi-agency drop off point managed by a single company so you might want to make sure you point it out to them. I've never had problems with them being fussy about a full tank right to the brim or damage or a grubby car or anything like that.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy