Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski season/job

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there. My 18 year old son is doing ski-season with work-a-season co. hotel assistant. says they work 7-13 and 16-22 - 6 days a week. (??)
5 in a room + not enough food. management "love it or leave it attitude". Anyone has a view - is this normal, or are they being taken for a ride? ?? any comments appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fairly normal, and yes he is being taken for a ride, as are they all more or less. The hours should get a bit shorter (though not that much) as they get into a routine. Not enough food for an 18-year-old boy's appetite isn't unusual, and five to a room accom is standard. He needs to talk to his HM about the food, but there's no point in complaining about the accom unless he's prepared to take it to the French authorities - chances are it doesn't conform to legal minimum standards.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many thanks for the response. The work-a-season contract says that the company doesn't abide by the EU laws. A good hint there - I guess not a 35-hours a week with 2 days rest job. [Love the French laws.] The thing is - I am actually very happy for him to work hard and to appreciate what work means, just don't like the idea that a company is taking an advantage of young people, and there should be a limit - how far they push.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The work-a-season contract says that the company doesn't abide by the EU laws.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing They admit it? In actual writing?? If I were him I'd threaten to have the French authorities take them to the cleaners if he doesn't get enough food and his own room. And French law doesn't necessarily restrict you to 35 hours and two days off btw - most people only get one day a week, and there's a derogation for hotellerie.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thank you all for your comments. I guess its standard. I guess this is what it is, if you want to ski.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@marcellus, 06:00 start for breakfast at 08:30? What are you doing, growing the coffee beans specially? Laughing

Once they were into the routine, my staff used to do 08:00 to finish (usually about 12:30) and 18:00 to finish (About 22:00). In addition, I'd have one doing a day shift, about 09:00 to 18:00, though I'd let this person sneak off for a bit in the middle of the day if the weather was good and everything was done.

@Monoli, if you/he actually wants to do anything effective about this, report Inghams/Esprit/Total to the French authorities. Obviously they will fire him, but they'll get fined for that as well if it's any consolation. Alternatively he could look for another job in a hotel with a competent manager/better TO/more motivated staff team/etc (depending on what the underlying problem really is).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Son #1 sous chef: 7:30-10:30 and 16:30-21:00. He and the chef were very efficient and the whole team made sure everybody was finished at 21:00. Plenty of food and a bar tab. Three in an apartment. Austria.

Son #2 KP/NP. KP: 7:30-10:30 and 16:00-21:00. NP: 23:00-8:00. Plenty of food. Three in an apartment. France.

I would say that your son is not getting a good deal at the moment.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

says that the company doesn't abide by the EU laws.

Just be a little careful on this point, an employee can "opt out" of the EU working time regulations. Which is not the same as not abiding by the regulations.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cad99uk, cheffy hours are a usually bit shorter than they are for general hotel staff. But I agree, the boy seems to be getting a poor deal, particularly if he isn't getting fed enough. There's no excuse for that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bunk beds are against French rules, 5 to a room probably is but it depends how big the room is - each employee is supposed to have a certain m2 to himself. French employers would rarely allocate more than two staff to a room (and rent and food would *not* be deducted from wages, they would be in addition to them).

See the link in my signature below for comparisons between employers. It's a bit out of date but I haven't had time to update for this season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Would strongly suggest he trys to find a different position with a different company. Those hours sound unusual, assuming its not somewhere with a requirement to be 'staffed' at all times, I'd say they need to get more efficient with their tasks.

5 to a room is unheard of in my experience. Ski world, crystal and VIP ski were twin rooms for me. Solo room when involved in management. Bunk beds are the norm, in Austria we had a few 'Austrian twins', two mattresses in a double frame, which caused some friction when people were shown that room for the season.

If your lad makes himself aware to other companies employment and HR dep,'s, they may be able to interview out there (with the resort manager normally) and might offer a position when it comes available due to injury or the usual January staff blues.

If he gets offered something in an another resort, he should be able to get a transfer down, and then jump on their charter bus up to the resort. Don't be afraid of other companies talking with eachother, they don't.

And finally, if he has had enough, or gets a different job, remember he has 48 hrs to vacate his accom, no more, no less, but they might make his life hard for those 48 hrs. Best bet, disappear off to your transfer and send a message/call when you're safely on your way, some companies feel you owe them the world, and quitting a job seems unreasonable to them.

As for next season, get saving during summer, budget for accom, pass and travel, and find an independent job, less hours, more ski, and when you cost it all out, more financial benefit if working 20+ hrs per week. The TO's have had their day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Monoli, I don't think those hours are that unusual for the first week of the season, whilst everyone is learning the ropes and things take longer. But if they are set hours expected for the season or they are still doing them come January then I'd be inclined to start looking around for a better job. He should usually get 5+ hours off in the middle of the day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Normal hours for early season, see how it is post new year
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is very similar to Chinese sweatshops, similar hours, only 3 people less in the room, and probably similar pay, with the exception that in China it's legal. I can't even call it "work", it's just making someone's profits at own expense.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy