Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thank you Mr Boarder and advice for future please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Firstly a thank you to the boarder who came to the rescue of my daughter and I in Vale Thorens today. I didn't get your name but you were going home today so I didn't get the chance to buy you a beer.  So if you're a snowhead   Thank You it was much appreciated.

Now for the question/dilemma.  My daughter and I were taken out  by someone who came over a crest a little too fast onto a very, very icy slope.  He apologised etc. But we looked down to see a couple of our skis disappearing, hers only 30 meters down the piste, mine 100 meters.  This shows how icy it was as the skis were the right way up, but the clips (brakes, whatever they are called) didn't bite.

With only one ski each the slightest movement had us slipping and sliding uncontrollably down the icy piste.  This is where the boarder came to our rescue.  He sat down beside my daughter and told.her to place her feet on his board, then using his additional edge grip and skill guided her on her in a controlled slide down to her ski.  I had slid the 30 meters using my remaining ski as a brake of sorts (in my hands using the edge to grip and brake).  He then picked me up, stopped me sliding and took me to my ski.

My question is what is the best way to get down an icy/steep piste when you have lost a ski?  I know there is a drill of skiing on one leg but I never have, and probably never will master it...

Thank you Mr Boarder who ever you were.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@newby, Hats off to the man.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, if you're any good you do it like this

http://youtube.com/v/LatVt6F8whQ Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can sideslip then just do that with your one ski as the downhill ski. If that is on your weaker leg and it is safe to swap the ski over to your stronger leg, do so before starting.

If you are not confident at side slipping then practice till you are, practice sideslipping facing in both directions.

You can learn quickly to do it confidently and also to sideslip diagonally so as to avoid obstacles or move a bit further away from an hazard.

Or you could learn to ski on one ski like a pro wink snowHead

edit video of sideslipping

youtube.com/v/HQZeC1FjYhc

Practice on both skis to start with then try lifting the uphill ski just off the snow and side slip on just the downhill ski.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Big respect to the boarder.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dooohh! !! Of course I could have side slipped, it's only when you ask a stupid question the answer becomes obvious Embarassed I suppose that's how we learn sometimes. Thanks for the advice and yes thanks to the boarder. Off we go again today to practice 1 ski side slipping.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First, great to see a helpful fellow mountain user. It was great to see similar behaviour here yesterday - my friend's wife had a binding issue and so many people apparently stopped to help her out and eventually sorted it out. Have to say that folks in California seem noticeably more open and friendly than anywhere else I have skiied.

Secondly, side slipping on one ski is your friend, in the circumstances described!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great to hear a fellow sportsman helping another Toofy Grin

The vid of Bode makes me feel ever so slightly inferior & rubbish, great demonstration of his skill, bet his leg was wrecked by the time he got down though Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy