Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning on snow & playgrass at the same time .

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Massive apologies in advance for a silly question , and one which has probably been covered a million times already Puzzled

Just taken up skiing , so complete beginner. Managed to do a 2 day course at chill factore indoor "real snow" , and managed to lose the snowplough turns and cope with the slightly more advanced turning . Instructor had me going on one leg and all sorts to get me balancing etc. passed that bit of the course, so now signed up for level 4, 5 and hopefully level 6 Shocked lessons. Not done them yet though .

At the same time had a lesson last night on playgrass artificial slope and OMG I was crap Embarassed , could hardly turn or do anything . I was back like a complete beginner.
I know this is because I am a rubbish skiier and have no skills, but the lessons are running concurrently with the 'real snow ' lessons. Are any of you more experienced skiiers suprised by my inability to do anything on playgrass...... Is this normal Puzzled . I felt gutted that i was really so very rubbish , after passing the beginners course on "real snow" .

Shall I run the lessons side by side ,or drop one, and if so , which one ?

Thanks and sorry for the question. I just feel so gutted and confused Sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is perfectly normal for outdoor artificial to feel a lot different than indoor, but I've not skied on playgrass so maybe that is even more different than Dendix. Outdoor plastic slopes are more demanding on your technique and need more positive input from you.

Stick with it - being about to handle different types of "snow" will be important when you get to the mountains and discover power, slush, hardpack, corrugated snow, ice, concrete etc

Presumably this is at Kidsgrove??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi yes . Kidsgrove . The staff and people there were really lovely and I really wanted to join and stay there.I just got so very gutted and lost my confidence when one day I was signed off at chill factore, then the very next day unable to even turn Shocked .
I need to protect my confidence a bit , as its very fragile. I think I will complete my level 4 , 5 and 6 at chill factore and then take my last paid for lesson at kidsgrove , as the two lessons at 2 seperate places per week is confusing me and making me lose confidence .

I do thank you for your reply . It is very good of you . Thank you for your time and trouble Blush
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bingaling, I also did a lot of my learning at Kidsgrove and had exactly the same experience as you when I returned there for some more practice after my first week away on holiday - like you, I felt I'd gone hugely backwards and my snow plough (that I'd thought I'd got rid of) returned with a vengeance - quite depressing! When in the cafe afterwards I mentioned it to a volunteer instructor and he said it's common to struggle with the surface when coming back to it after being on real snow for a while. You'll find that you do get used to it once you've been on it for a bit. I'm sure you'll find it easier the next time you go - definitely keep at it.

Bear in mind too that the lessons at Kidsgrove are brilliant value compared with almost anywhere else - I know they used to pride themselves on being the cheapest in the country! After I'd done the Chill Factore levels, I then had more lessons/practice at Kidsgrove, and it worked well. You'll really enjoy the opposite feeling too, i.e. when you go from the playgrass to the snow - turns feel so easy Smile

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ahhhh....thank you .
Can't tell you what a relief it is to know its not just me !
I was devestated last night , but feel much better now thank you

I did want to stay at kidsgrove and support them as the are volunteers aren't they . And they are really nice .
I will stick with it then , and not panic too much . Get my levels 4, 5 and 6 done next weeks and then return to kidsgrove and give it another crack .

Thank you for your encouraging advise Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy