Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet expectation levels?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@henzerani, Yeah, budget chalets are not easy to find - luxury is no problem.

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'm really interested in chalet perception, what makes a good trip, host et

To be honest when it comes to chalet holidays I think the attitude of the host is the key thing. Looking back on all of my holidays I can remember all of my hosts but only a couple of chalets and even fewer meals.

Having worked as a host, resort rep and a resort manager I can honestly say that guest feedback tends to favour personable hosts over top quality chalets or great cooking. Some of the best feedback I've seen has been for attentive, fun and approachable hosts who maybe weren't great cooks and were in mediocre chalets. If you are looking to run something yourself then get the staffing side right as the priority. Hosts who can join in with a group, bring different parties together in the chalet and keep guests from talking about religion or politics are able to make up for most shortfalls!

Obviously guest happiness is massively impacted by being able to ski so a lack of snow is always going to be a problem you can't do anything about.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In terms of facilities: In our 6-person apartment we operate three simple rules of (a) the same for everyone (b) enough for each person and (c) a reserve of 2. What this means is that we provide six of every thing the same and a couple in reserve, accessible to the clients. So for example, 6x + 2x red wine glasses, 6x+2x beer glasses, 6x+2 knives, placemats, sheets, duvets, etc. etc. Sometimes this means getting 8x new whatever when we take an inventory, even if we have 6x of something (because we can't get the same glasses, placemats etc.). People generally don't notice the underlying quality of stuff (as long as it's basically OK) but do notice if there's an odd-one-out. People are more likely to complain about something missing, rather than being basic - so for example, we had complaints that there weren't any egg cups and no pop-up toaster, so we have these now. Oh, and I can't believe how many corkscrews disappear. People do seem to appreciate having some basic toiletries, as many don't bother bringing any, given the flight restrictions. You have the advantage of being on-site, whereas we have to have to go out in the autumn and make sure of the inventory pre-season. WiFi is critical - every season we get at least one panic email from the agency saying it isn't working when the clients are simply not entering the SSID password properly (we have a permanent sign on the wall with the SSID & password, but still ...).

Regarding hosts: Where we've stayed, for us, the main things have been information and consistency. Try and answer all their obvious questions before they ask them, and whatever you do provide, do it to a consistent level. Have as much information as you can on paper or in a folder e.g. liftpass prices, where to hire, restaurants, emergency numbers, piste maps, etc. If you provide a 4pm cake and refreshments, doing it every day, promptly is more important than having a fantastic cake. And so on.

Another thing is emergencies. Our host at one place was brilliant when my son was knocked-out on piste and had to get a scan at the hospital in the valley. Consider some obvious scenarios such as someone having an accident, falling ill, needing to get to A+E, needing a dentist, leaving medication at home and needing to get replacements quickly etc. and plan for what you'll do in the circumstances.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 21-12-14 22:04; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dheason, Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dheason wrote:
To be honest when it comes to chalet holidays I think the attitude of the host is the key thing. Looking back on all of my holidays I can remember all of my hosts but only a couple of chalets and even fewer meals. ...

Some of the best feedback I've seen has been for attentive, fun and approachable hosts who maybe weren't great cooks and were in mediocre chalets.

Agree - I've stayed in 2 catered chalets. One in Val where 6 of us had the whole chalet and Andy the host was great. Young, good enough cook, but nothing was a problem, even my Mrs' odd dietary requirements.

2nd was last Jan in la Tania which was a budget option - again, the chalet girls did the best with what they had and were cheerful.

A decent meal with a good group trumps Michelin stars with a miserable bunch Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
To be honest when it comes to chalet holidays I think the attitude of the host is the key thing. Looking back on all of my holidays I can remember all of my hosts but only a couple of chalets and even fewer meals.

Having worked as a host, resort rep and a resort manager I can honestly say that guest feedback tends to favour personable hosts over top quality chalets or great cooking.

Amen to that. Enthusiasm is always the number 1 attribute and personality goes a long way - as Jules Winnfield reminds us
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hey everyone.

quick update. The evening went really well! The guests really enjoyed the food and seem to be very chilled out about everything! They seem to really like the chalet and don't appear to have noticed the things that I was worried about. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm enjoying this thread. I work in a well know department store and we put customer service as our top priority. The idea is that everything else flows from that. It seems that that is people's response to holiday accommodation, unsurprisingly. We, as people, do respond to nice people and tend to remember them.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the skiing or weather is bad, and people are stuck indoors, you might try and get hold of some skiing/climbing DVDs and have a scheduled cinema session e.g. 3pm

I can recommend 'The Summit' about the K2 climbing disaster, and particularly 'North Face', about the epic climb of the Eiger in the inter-war years. I know, they sound negative, but they put a bad weather day into perspective ....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad it went well @Rezman, hope you keep us informed how your 1st few weeks go.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glad it went well @Rezman, - good luck with the rest of the week and the season - I'm sure you'll have a great time.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's gone very quiet here Is that good Madeye-Smiley or bad Skullie ?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scrumpy, me too. But Rezman, is probably way too busy being shouted at/being lovely. Or should we be asking how the new job is going?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy