Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sorry, No Smoking !!

Poster: A snowHead
Kramer, it is privately owned property that the public have access to, hence the name "pub". Yes, but the public only have access to it because the owner allows the public access. The owner can bar you in the same way that you can bar someone from your own home. There is no difference both in law and in practice. Dear God.

Chris Bish, but what remains is the debate about what should and should not be legal Sorry, no. This is a trifling, piddling argument compared to the fundamental matter of the legitimate limits of state power. When you advocate the banning of smoking in a pub you are actually agreeing to the principle that the state can dictate what you may and may not do in your own home. Answer me - is this what you want? Are you so infantilised that you cannot take responsibility for your own lungs? Do you wait for the government to call you in the morning to grant permission for yout first visit to the toilet?

Chris Bish, So slavery is fine on the private property of your own plantation. Try thinking about this. It is I who is advocating the freedom of the individual here. It is you who is advocating ever greater powers for the state (yes, the state, that entity which declared slavery to be lawful before civil libertarians fought tooth and nail to have the damned state get the hell out of people's lives and who won emancipation for slaves.) You have it precisely wrong.

Look, you live in what is still, just, a liberal society where laws are supposed to reflect that we are free people who don't need guiding every step of the way by an all seeing state. This assumption allows for the fact that some of what we all isn't agreeable to everyone, but hey, we just have to get along somehow. A bit of give and take. When you begin to demand legislation outlawing each and every thing which you don't like you lose the right to partake in the good things which come from a free society and you end up in one place. It's where 400 million people were under the Soviets and where the North Koreans are now. You cannot design society to your own wishes and expect not to be on the receiving end of bad legislation when bad people turn on you. It's your choice, but what you advocate is illiberal, un-British and unworthy.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The problem you have with trying to argue with smokers is that they are inherently selfish and fail to see the logic that their assumed right to smoke interferes with my actual right to clean air. I can't think of many other habits where those who happen to be in the vicinity are forced to partake of that habit against their will, therefore smoking is a bit of a different situation to many of the oft-quoted so-called parallel activities such as drinking and/or pollution from cars.

The issue is also often clouded by those who aren't (or sometimes claim not to be!) smokers themselves who feel the need to stand up against the might of the tyrannical oppressors (that's the near 80% of us that are non-smokers, if you miss their point) on behalf of the poor mistreated smokers. I don't always understand the mindset of these people who often tout extremist viewpoints on it being the thin end of the wedge, etc... and the government will be telling you how much sugar you can have in your tea next and so on. This, of course, misses the point that how much sugar or fat you eat and how much you drink does not affect those in your immediate vicinity in the same way that smoking does. It's unique amongst personal habits, there is no other parallel to it. Those of you too "stuck on stupid", however, may struggle to comprehend this...

You'll find that whereas most non-smokers will happily agree that they don't want a total ban on smoking, they just want smokers to not do it where non-smokers are affected by it, most smokers will vehemently protest that they have the right to smoke anywhere, any place, any time as a "civil liberty", thus forgetting that the rest of us (by a ratio of 4 to 1) have a right to NOT be affected by their personal choice.

Anyone's choice to smoke is ABSOLUTELY their right and choice to make. However, it is known to be dangerous to both themselves and others around them, so where is the law that says they have the right to force others in their vicinity to also partake in their personal choice? If I want to drink Stella until I puke, that is my choice. Do I have the right to force my Stella on everyone else around me? Hardly. Excuse me? Can I just spit some of this Stella I've just drunk all over your clothes and force some down your throat too please? Just because it's not the "accepted norm" now, who's to say the habit wouldn't catch on after a while, eh? Does that make it acceptable? How many people have to do this before it becomes as acceptable as smoking?

As to pubs being "private property" and therefore it's down to the landlord... good grief, what colour is the sky on your planet mate? "pub" as in short for "public house"... you know, "licensed premises for the public consumption of alcohol". How many publicans these days own their own pub? Just because years ago someone decided that smoking was cool and trendy and it became the norm doesn't mean that you forever have the right to indulge in a noxious habit once we become civilised enough to realise the inherent stupidity and harm in the habit.

The argument about non-smokers having the right to leave if they don't like smoky pubs is entirely specious. Both non-smokers and smokers alike have the right to have a drink. However, smokers do NOT have the right to take over pubs "just because people have always smoked in them." Utter baloney.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
4thefunofit, actually there's a whole specific area of the law dealing with public houses. It's called the licensing act. The rest of your argument is just hot air about your so-called right to smoke, the same arguments trotted out by the tobacco manufacturers through their PR agencies to justify their continued profiteering through causing cancer.

The rights of the individual are tantamount, unless they are causing harm to others. By smoking in a public place you are harming those around you, who have the same right as you to be there without suffering any harm from other people's deliberate acts.

How do you justify causing harm to others, by pursuing your habit?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markos, will oblige later, when free Toofy Grin
4thefunofit, Twisted Evil

Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not a smoker, and I rarely if ever am forced to breathe in other peoples smoke. Smokers, as a general rule, do not feel it is their god given right to smoke where ever they want. Most smokers I know are courteous and do their upmost to ensure before they light up that they won't offend anyone.

By all means I am all for smoking and non-smoking areas, but I don't want to hear the goverment keep smoking legal, but ban it from public places. It's either without doubt an extreme danger to the public, or it isn't.

There are those of us who don't want to enter smokey areas and we should be able to do so. Likewise, the smoker does want to be in smokey places, and they should also be able to do so.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markos wrote:
I'm not a smoker, and I rarely if ever am forced to breathe in other peoples smoke. Smokers, as a general rule, do not feel it is their god given right to smoke where ever they want. Most smokers I know are courteous and do their upmost to ensure before they light up that they won't offend anyone.

That sort of smoker is not a problem, however this is not the view 4thefunofit is giving. He (she?) has clearly stated that they think it is just fine for a smoker to light up even when it makes those around them uncomfortable. That is not courteous at all.

I dont understand the view at all, as a non smoker I really dislike smoke, but I will tolerate it as long as people exhibit a reasonable level of consideration. The view 4thefunofit is pushing, is more likely to make me (and I am sure others) less tolerant of smokers. The bigger picture is that enough people becoming less tolerant increases the chance of a total ban. Which means that the hardline view is probably its own worst enemy Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I've been round this particular mulberry bush too often to do it any more. I do wonder though, if anyone has noticed that this is not actually about smoking.

buns, He (she?) has clearly stated that they think it is just fine for a smoker to light up even when it makes those around them uncomfortable. That is not courteous at all.

No, no I haven't said that anywhere. You're seeing words but not reading. I have said nothing more than the state has no business outlawing a lawful activity on private property. No more, no less. I actually think it can be discourteous to smoke in a pub if a smoker can easily move elsewhere and not inconvenience others.

If someone can actually make a cogent argument for why it is right, good, proper and moral for the state to break an ancient legal principle then please post it. All I have seen so far is "yeah, I don't like smoking so do it." Sorry, not good enough. Not liking something is no good reason to impose an obviously illiberal restriction.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
for the same reason we stopped using asbestos, we didnt no it was detrimental to our health when it was discovered......

quite simple i think
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't forget that soon you will NOT be able to smoke in a pub in Scotland and Wales BUT will be able to in Engalnd. That's racist surely wink
Not sure of the situ in Norn Iron.

The above assumes current planned legislation comes to fruition!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 20-12-05 20:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
4thefunofit, it used to be legal for a man to rape his wife until the state outlawed it. Like it or not, there are some things that the state does have business getting involved in. Smoking in public places is one of them, because unless the state does get involved, the free market won't lead to it happening.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
4thefunofit, Sign me up for the stupid squad but you have failed to explain in words that I can understand why an Englishmans castle equates to the Elephant and Castle. There are a many activities which are lawful in some circumstances but not in others. Sex being the one obviously quoted here. Where the age, consent ,willingness, financial transactions, venue including whether on public view even in private premises all affect the legal position of the participants.
Just what is the ancient legal principle being newly broken here?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
4thefunofit wrote:
buns, He (she?) has clearly stated that they think it is just fine for a smoker to light up even when it makes those around them uncomfortable. That is not courteous at all.

No, no I haven't said that anywhere. You're seeing words but not reading. I have said nothing more than the state has no business outlawing a lawful activity on private property.

Ok..... so who was it said this?

4thefunofit wrote:
buns, you state that I think: smoking is not against the law, therefore a person is entitled to do it. If it discomforts another, then that is tough....

If the smoker is smoking on private property and the owner allows him to do it then yes - tough.

I believe I both read and saw those particular words.

Adam
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I was young I'd often get asked by women if I smoked after making lurve. to which I replied

I HAVEN'T REALLY NOTICED!!!!!

HAR HAR HAR
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

illiberal, un-British and unworthy.

1. Liberal is to do with freedom. Freedoms are specific not general. Freedom from something in other words. I want freedom from being poisoned by others. Liberation from tobacco smoke. Who is illiberal?
2. No comment. i am not a nationalist. I admit this. Don't see the connection with being poisoned by others. Cancer is cancer whatever country you are in.
3. unworthy. Of what exactly? Again, this is specific and not general.

The freedoms you advocate are at others' expense. snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This thread is so stressful I think I need to pop outside to the middle of a large field for a fag Laughing
latest report
This thread is so stressful I think I need to pop outside to the middle of a large field for a fag Laughing
snow report
Smoking cannot be banned. Tony and big Gordo make too much money from it.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

But think of the money they would save from the NHS if they did ban it! rolling eyes
snow report
How do I improve my carving?! NehNeh
snow report
Markos, having failed with argumentum ad hominem you're now having a go at argumentum ad misericordiam!

Back to your one laboured point though, sorry, but no-one's going to build you 2 parks or 2 restaurants so smokers can have the same "rights" as non-smokers and there's no way smoke can be kept away from non-smokers in a single premises without air-locks (if you prefer, there's no way clean air can be kept away from smokers without air-locks). If someone's got to be in the cubicle, it's the smokers because they're the ones doing the imposing/the harm/the infringing. Anyway, if the government is to fulfil its obligation to the health of staff, it has to introduce this legislation. It is indeed disingenuous of the staff to complain, but nevertheless quite right that the government should act to ensure adequate working conditions. The mere preference of non-smokers in non-essential venues is just a secondary social issue. snowHead

4thefunofit, Twisted Evil
ski holidays
No, I totally agree, But Greasey Joes truckers cafe should be allowed to let their patronage carry on with their roll-ups if that is how they and their clients wish it. And the nice clean Bar Shenkos wine bar should be allowed to ban smoking as they feel it would attract a more appropriate customer.

It should be nothing to do with the government.
ski holidays
So why does the government ban certain chemicals (many cleaning products have had to be reformulated lately)? Why do children not play with mercury in chemistry class? Why are there strict guidlines about radioactive substances (many of which one were household items)?

If an activity or item is considered to be a public health hazard, then the government does have a place being involved.
latest report
Sorry but you're missing my point, I'm trying to say it should be up to establishments (i.e. pubs and cafes) if they permit smoking, and that would give the public the choice.
snow report
Im not missing the point..... why is an establishment having a choice about smoking any different from it having the choice to supply water with dissolved Radon or heavy metals?

Adam

Ps. I have just had my christmas lunch in a restaurant which permits smoking. I now stink of smoke, I have a jacket permeated by the smell, my eyes are dry and sore and I have a sore throat. I will resultantly never go to that restaurant again and will recommend to everyone who asks, to do likewise.
latest report
id prefer smokin to be banned indoors, however it dont bother me that much that i dont go to pubs, many of ma mates smoke, u just learn to live with it i guess.

most clubs have air vents anyways to suck it out
snow report
Markos, if the smoking ban should be nothing to do with the government, then so should the responsibility for treating smoking associated diseases. Even then, as it is a pubic health issue, it would still be the government's business.
ski holidays
Buns.... Because there are lot of establishments that want to allow their smoking customers to carry on smoking, as their customers too, who themselves wish to carry on smoking in there. And in the case of your xmas meal, there should have been a non-smokers option or some other choice where you weren't frog marched into a smoking restaurant and made to sit there as it was going to cause you so much grief.

Kramer.... Should the government prevent the treatment of parachutists in parachute accidents, drivers from driving accidents, etc.

Guys, there's a ton of good reasons why we dont want to share smokers vicinities, and also plenty of smokers who want to smoke in peace. If they are letting us have our freedom, we should allow them theirs.
snow report
buns wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

But think of the money they would save from the NHS if they did ban it! rolling eyes

Nowhere near as much as they would lose from the lost tax revenue.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry, have come to this a bit late and haven't read the whole thread, but there do seem to be some rather odd arguments being used.

buns wrote:
Im not missing the point..... why is an establishment having a choice about smoking any different from it having the choice to supply water with dissolved Radon or heavy metals?

Well, maybe because you don't get any choice in your water supply, but you do as to whether you go into a smoking or a non-smoking pub?
ski holidays
buns wrote:
Ps. I have just had my christmas lunch in a restaurant which permits smoking. I now stink of smoke, I have a jacket permeated by the smell, my eyes are dry and sore and I have a sore throat. I will resultantly never go to that restaurant again and will recommend to everyone who asks, to do likewise.

Horrible, undeniably. But I wouldn't have gone to that restaurant in the first place. Isn't that what freedom of choice is all about?
ski holidays
Dave Burt, but that assumes that there is a non-smoking choice which is freely available. Without legislation there generally isn't.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Markos, if the smoking ban should be nothing to do with the government, then so should the responsibility for treating smoking associated diseases. Even then, as it is a pubic health issue, it would still be the government's business.

I'm sure smokers have contributed far more to NHS coffers than have non-smokers, so that would seem a little unreasonable.
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Dave Burt, but that assumes that there is a non-smoking choice which is freely available. Without legislation there generally isn't.

I can't disagree with the assumption, but I'm not so sure about your second statement. There are already many many non-smoking restaurants, and an increasing number of non-smoking bars (maybe that's just London?)
snow report
4thefunofit, The usual logical fallacies, preposterous extrapolations and tired jingoistic trite you trot out dismissed, all you have offered us are 2 premises:

1. That everyone posting on this thread is "stuck on stupid" apart from you (and possibly Markos). Will you entertain the possibility that that is rude, unconstructive and inaccurate? I would also counsel that when you’re beyond the 2 SDs, you should stop to at least reconsider whether it is in fact you who ought to be thinking inside the box, lest yourself ending up outside the box but caught in a track of fallacious logic?

2. The government shouldn’t stop people conducting a lawful activity on private property.

In a civilized society, most people consider that the government has a duty to protect both the public and individuals even when on private property. And I’m afraid the force of law certainly applies even behind the closed gates of your private castle, so that the 2nd half of your second premise fails.

Being drunk and disorderly in a public place poses a risk to the public and is unlawful largely because of this. Being drunk and disorderly alone in your house, is a little sad, but poses no risk to the public and is not unlawful. Smoking in a public place is harmful to the public but currently lawful. Smoking alone in your castle is not harmful to the public. The new law seeks to recognise that smoking in a public place is harmful to the public and individuals but falls short due to moral cowardice. However smoking in certain enclosed spaces to which the public has access, and in which individual staff have to work (I know it’s disingenuous of the staff to complain but the duty of the state is nonetheless clear), will become an unlawful activity so that the 1st half of your second premise fails too. You’ll still be able to smoke alone in your castle.

Causing harm to others should indeed not be lawful, no matter who owns the property.
latest report
Dave Burt wrote:
buns wrote:

Horrible, undeniably. But I wouldn't have gone to that restaurant in the first place. Isn't that what freedom of choice is all about?

Unfortunately no one was smoking when we went in. Just as our food arrived, the first set of punters had finished their food so lit up.... with food in front of us it was just too late. I contemplated going over and sneezing in one of their desserts and see how they liked it!

Dave Burt wrote:
buns wrote:

Well, maybe because you don't get any choice in your water supply, but you do as to whether you go into a smoking or a non-smoking pub?

I didnt mean tap water.... Even if a manufacturer tried to bottle and supply water with radon or heavy metals (giving anyone the choice if they wanted it or not), they would not be allowed. Nobody now might care to buy such a product anymore, but in years gone by, this sort of thing was common and believed to cure multiple ailments. However whether people want it or not, they cant get it because it is inherently dangerous and there are strict guidelines in place.

I also debate whether smokers 'pay for themselves' in terms of healthcare with taxes. Even if we knew the amount of money gained in tax from smokers, the extent of disease and ill health caused by smoking is unknown. So nobody is really in a position to accurately say that smokers are or are not a burden on the rest of us. Another point is that smokers will find it more difficult to have private healthcare, so are more likely to have to rely on the NHS.

I am not trying to suggest a full ban is the way to go at this stage, but I think that the arguement that the government has no place to ban such a dangerous activity is flawed. There are countless examples of strict regulations on activities which are a less proven danger than smoking. Were the arguement given to be accepted, a great many other dangerous activities should then be returned to 'personal choice'.

Adam
ski holidays
buns wrote:

Unfortunately no one was smoking when we went in. Just as our food arrived, the first set of punters had finished their food so lit up.... with food in front of us it was just too late. I contemplated going over and sneezing in one of their desserts and see how they liked it!

That is tough, agreed.

Just out of interest, are there many (any?) non-smoking restaurants in Belfast? If so, is there any reason why you chose not go to one (and if it is that one or more of your party wanted to go to a smoking one, I think you'd have everybody's permission to shove their fags right up their a**e).
snow report
buns wrote:

I also debate whether smokers 'pay for themselves' in terms of healthcare with taxes. Even if we knew the amount of money gained in tax from smokers, the extent of disease and ill health caused by smoking is unknown. So nobody is really in a position to accurately say that smokers are or are not a burden on the rest of us. Another point is that smokers will find it more difficult to have private healthcare, so are more likely to have to rely on the NHS.

I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to stake a fair bit that they do 'pay for themsleves', and probably a lot more besides. However, happy to concede the point if the figures prove otherwise. Does anybody know?
snow report
buns wrote:

I am not trying to suggest a full ban is the way to go at this stage, but I think that the arguement that the government has no place to ban such a dangerous activity is flawed.

That was never my argument!
ski holidays
I dont really know about restaurants in belfast, I dont go out all that often to be honest. Most I know of simply having smoking and non-smoking areas. We just went to this place because it was within walking distance of work and was a change from the usual chinese/indian/pizza... it really was a shame because the food was very tastey!

Adam
ski holidays
Dave Burt wrote:
buns wrote:

I am not trying to suggest a full ban is the way to go at this stage, but I think that the arguement that the government has no place to ban such a dangerous activity is flawed.

That was never my argument!

Sorry I didnt mean that specifically for you. Markos was saying something along these lines (I cant recall if 4thefunofit was in agreement).

Adam
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy