Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sorry, No Smoking !!

Poster: A snowHead
i had heard, dunno how accurately but they recon most smokers pay about 240% of what theyre med bills are.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fezza wrote:
i had heard, dunno how accurately but they recon most smokers pay about 240% of what theyre med bills are.

But they also need to pay for those who passively smoke (and should compensate them too!). Given we dont actually know how much smoke is needed to cause disease, we cant really extrapolate. If a tiny amount of smoke is needed, passive smoking could be responsible for an enormous amount more medical problems..... conversely, it could take alot of smoke, in which case, minimal additional strain would be produced by passive smoke. But.... we just dont know and my understanding (now I do study DNA mutagenisis so im not totally uninformed) is that we just arent even close to being able to put numbers on this.

Adam
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, should I loosen the top buckle of my boots, and just keep the bottom two done up tightly?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
o rite mate, as i say, i dunno where i read that or how accurate it was.

can we not pay a tramp and keep giving him passive smoke and see when he gets cancer? rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fezza wrote:
can we not pay a tramp and keep giving him passive smoke and see when he gets cancer? rolling eyes

Anyone even doing it with rats will find animal rights campaigners on their doorstep! There is one thing you can be sure of these days, anything you may wish to do, there will be a 'rights' campaigner to stand in your way....

It is the new law for the 21st century, offspring of Sod and Murphy!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
buns wrote:
There is one thing you can be sure of these days, anything you may wish to do, there will be a 'rights' campaigner to stand in your way....

Anyone else spot the irony? wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not to mention the stalemate to which it leads!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buns, The last lot of statistics I saw suggested that smokers have a significant net contribution to the economy largely because they drop dead early and don't cost a lot in pensions. Like you say there are a lot of unknowns but the economic effects af passive smoking are not likely to be huge. The problem is that a lot of people use really dodgy numbers when looking at things like death when they are trying to make political points.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buns, there is no stalemate, just an inability to see defeat (this law is only a beginning). You (not you wink ) have a right to smoke, I have a right to clean air. If you have the right to assault me with smoke in exercising your right to smoke, so should I have the right to throw you out in exercising my right to clean air. Smokers have the right to smoke anywhere they don't harm/irritate others, just like I have a right to swing an axe round my head anywhere I don't harm/decapitate others. It's not brain surgery, doesn't need overthinking, it's just schoolyard-level fairplay. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, I think the pension thing is the most important factor in the economic argument, but the average chronic smoker smoking duty paid cigarettes (how many do this?) pays less than £50000 in cig taxes. This doesn't pay for a lot of medical care or long-term nursing care, when they inevitably get long-drawn out ill (the short sharp deaths being very much the exception).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Seems to have gone quiet. Does that mean we have won?

Will the government save us? Somehow doubt it!

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I might switch sides and argue the other side now. Just to keep it interesting.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is unsafe to say passive smoking effects may not be huge. Biological systems are funny, while they can be highly resistant, certain factors can have an impact even when at such tiny concentrations that you would assume they are negligible.... ps. this is a double dig.... scientific funding into the fundamentals of this is far too low.....

Slikedges,
By stalemate I meant that no one would win, just as you say. All the 'rights' malarky does need care. The simple presence of a government mean that we do not have complete freedom of choice. If we did have complete freedom, a government simply could not exist. To some extent, freedoms have decreased overall with man's time on this planet.... when we started, we could do anything we liked.... but i sure wouldnt like to live in the modern equivalent. (I think I rambled way beyond my response to you!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still nothing from those who think true freedom resides in the right to make others ill.

Ah, well. Let's talk skiing! I ought to do some work, but I'm off to Austria in 36 hours!

snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
they are not enforcing it apparently....................there is euthanasia(sp?) here to avoid long drawn out medical costs Wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 22-12-05 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Chris,

NehNeh I hate you Evil or Very Mad Very Happy

At least it is Christmas so im not in the lab..... than 3 weeks and I am away to Canada snowHead
snow conditions
People are now being told that they will not be allowed to smoke IN THEIR OWN HOMES an hour before NHS community care staff arrive:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/4553202.stm
snow report
Markos, interesting development, but obvious extension really. It's exactly the same thing. In this day and age, healthcare professionals are no longer expected to put their own health on the line to treat others. Sorry, but they could always smoke and postpone the appointment (though I believe they should then be charged if they didn't have more than such a frivolous reason). Anyway, in terms of telling people how to live their lives (in or out of their homes), I do that everyday and the sensible ones don't feel aggrieved (though they might not do it rolling eyes ).
snow conditions
I actually think this is a slightly more valid move than ordering pubs, etc. to ban smoking. Otherwise the NHS worker is forced to enter a smokey room and of course suffer the potential effects of second hand smoke.
latest report
They have the choice..... they can smoke in their own home and receive no care, or they can not smoke and thus get the care..... they still have the choice. Think about it, the healthcare worker previously was forced into the smokey environment, they had no choice....
snow conditions
Chris Bish, I think 4thefunofit has accepted he was in error and retired gracefully. Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy